Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, howdy there internet peeps.

Up at 3:30 with the tinnitus again. Did an hour with the earbuds and river sounds. That took it from a 7 volume down to about 6. Putting hearing aids in helped.

But, I've been researching hearing aids for tinnitus. The Rexel??? at Costco seem OK from reports, but a couple of other brands seem to have better response and programming to help.

One is Starkey (out of down under). That was the brand of my first set. Got a few dealers close by, but I'm expecting them to be in the $7K range, not the $1500 of Costco.

Only 8 weeks to go before I get into the ENT so he can tell me I've got tinnitus after a bunch of tests.

Up today, a three hour drive to head to my crazy aunt's 75th Birthday Party. (and the 3 hour drive back). Thats a long way to go for a slice of cake. I'll let you know if it was worth the trip. ;)

I was ready to lose so money yesterday until I chipped in from 60 yards out for birdie on the last hole. That changed everything money wise. I usually share a cart with Darth Vader's brother in-law (James Earl Jones). My friend's (They call him the Sniper) wife just died a few months ago and he tells me he's moving in with Vader soon. I would like to go over there someday and see what's in that house. I'm going to guess a lot of Star Wars stuff.
Swal
Well, done!

I once chipped 60 yards past the hole, maybe more than once. Who knows for sure? I only remember the one or two good shots I hit well.

I suck at golf, but it is a fun game! I've only played a dozen rounds of 18 holes. It was enough to give me profound respect for the game and those who play it well.

I broke 100, once! 😁

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 59°, gonna be another beautiful day like yesterday. Slightly warmer today at 82° but a bit windy from the south at 20 mph for a couple of hours.

I got the results of the blood draws from Tuesday, and almost all are well within range, although A1c moved up a notch to 5.8. I have to admit that I have been eating too much pasta over the last year or so. Tele-conference Tuesday to discuss doctor's advice.

I did do some mowing yesterday, but only about 30 minutes. I'll do a lot more today as most of the ground has firmed up from Monday's rain by now. I got the rest of my Vitamin D (sunlight exposure) attacking the tree pile again, netting another week's worth of firewood. It appears that I will be adding more than expected due to two larger trees of mine that haven't budded out yet, a sure sign that they are not alive any more. One is not a problem, but the other is between the house, the pool and the existing wood piles, so I will have to aim very carefully when taking it down. It's not large enough to bring in a tree service, although that's an option.
Granddog seems to have finally settled in, he's never been here before without his friend, our other granddog, so he really seemed lost for the first day and a half. He was quite tired last night after all of his exploring yesterday.
Besides resumption of mowing, laundry is on today's task list; leftovers for supper after the really great rib eye that I grilled last night.

More of the same yesterday out in the train shed. I did move cars off 5 of the industry spurs in this quarters cleanup area, and inspected, cleaned and vacuumed. I do have to replace some loose ballast on one spur. I installed the three fake white metal streetlight castings that I painted, along a short street in Graham.
IMG_1565.JPG

I finished up and installed a birdhouse in a backyard along the main line in Vernon.
IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1561.JPG

The area across the tracks needs to be completed; it's on my list of course, but it won't be next.

Chad - I am amazed (sort of) that many progressive politicians don't understand the simple economic principles that you posted in post #454. It ain't rocket science, it's simple economics!!!
On about $67k it was down $1k today after $800 on Wednesday with a couple hundred gain yesterday.
I fared worse yesterday, losing about $3370, but the week overall saw only a loss of $2935. I can't complain since I am up $25K since January 1, even after yesterday's losses. And that doesn't count my 6 month T-bills that are always doing well.
Curt - I hope that you heal up quickly.
Terry - When I still lived in the city, I kept a can of gasoline in my open garage. It was a rent house and there was no garage door. After the gasoline disappeared twice, and the can remained, I filled it with kerosene. Now I knew that kerosene added to enough gasoline would not have much ill effect, but apparently the thief was near empty when he took it the third time. Never had another problem. We always suspected a neighbor 3 or 4 doors away. We moved out of town shortly after to a place in the country with some land.
Todd - Have fun with the gardening.
Tom O - Yes, bomb shelters. Most of the one's in our neighborhood during the 60's, ended up with 6"-8" of very stagnant water in the bottom because most doors weren't too watertight. All (that we knew about) were removed during the 70's according to my brothers who still live in the same neighborhood.

Everyone have a great day today

Morning folks,

51F , clear, and a forecast high of 71. I may try to take a hike after lunch but my back is still PO'ed from transplanting perennials in the garden yesterday.

I still use electric fencers around both the strawberry patch and the shrubbery at the house. In the latter application, critters can still bypass it if they walk in from the backside and along the top of the 4 foot high berm right next to the windows. One morning, the fence stakes, insulators and wires were spread 50 yards all over the lawn. A deer had apparently done the back door access and decided to make the direct exit, becoming tangled up in it. I would have paid a couple hundred dollars to have watched that transpire. On the same fence, one of the border collies decided to take a leak on it just after we got him. We didn't see him again for half a day.

Photo for the day.
53651359859_8ebd9c3d49_b.jpg

Good afternoon all. An Afternoon Tea please, Flo. Be generous with the jam and cream for the scones. Don't say you are rationing it. You are too young to remember the forties and fifties when we had to ration things.

Bomb Shelters We had one from WW2. Used to camp out in it early 1950s before it was removed.
We never thought about having one during the Cold War. We were only four minutes away from a rocket taking off to landing. It would take five minutes to get to the shelter.

Golf When I played I would hit high 60s to low seventies, then move to hole number 2. (The old jokes are still the best).

Off to the train room.

Thoughts & Peace to All who Require.

11:21am here. So, Good Morning!

Just got back from the dog walk, and I need to resume tiling the shower surround. But, I'm on coffee break.
I'm one tile beyond being half-way through the tiling job. This is my first time tiling walls, and I'm very inexperienced and slow in the work.
BathReno_04-13-2024.JPG
I'm trying my best, but, have made some evil mistakes. I've discovered that when using large tiles, those walls are supposed to be perfect level.

Anyway, I've only got a couple more days to complete the job. Then I go to Hinton for my hernia surgery. Suspect I'll be laid-up for a few days after that, so I might be getting some serious modelling time in.

Well, I'd better get to work. The coffee cup is empty.
Have a wonderful day!

11:21am here. So, Good Morning!

Just got back from the dog walk, and I need to resume tiling the shower surround. But, I'm on coffee break.
I'm one tile beyond being half-way through the tiling job. This is my first time tiling walls, and I'm very inexperienced and slow in the work.
View attachment 185903 I'm trying my best, but, have made some evil mistakes. I've discovered that when using large tiles, those walls are supposed to be perfect level.

Anyway, I've only got a couple more days to complete the job. Then I go to Hinton for my hernia surgery. Suspect I'll be laid-up for a few days after that, so I might be getting some serious modelling time in.

Well, I'd better get to work. The coffee cup is empty.
Have a wonderful day!
For a first timer, it looks superb!

Your lines look straight, level and uniform!

Well done!

Afternoon all,

Currently 80° and sunny with a breeze out of the south at 25 to 35 MPH and an ocassional gust to around 40.

Yes it was Still water OK. I hadn't been to Eskimo Joe's before, but the wife and kids had. The drive was nice.

The ASVRR trip was interesting. I even got ro ride in the cab of an ALCO SW1. Since it is a heritage RR and they run limited trains, part of a Rail Trail is being constructed along the RofW. It will then connect 2 other rail trails to make an even longer. They have an additional 15 miles of trackage they can't get to as BNSF wants a million dollar policy to maintain a diamond crossing in case of an accident . Being a Nn-profit, they can't afford it, so their considering making the additional miles a rail bike path and rent rail bikes on both ends. Kind of cool.

Regrettably, AC/DC was one of the few Heavy Metal/Hard Rock bands from the 70's and early 80's that I did not see live.

Circumstance always got in the way when they came to the Baltimore/Washington area.

I was heartbroken when Bon Scott died. I felt betrayed when they replaced him so quickly. Out of spite I did not see the new lineup. "Cut off my nose to spite my face"

Eventually "Hells Bells" won me over. By then my days of going to concerts were dwindling.

This could have been my theme song when I was young, dumb, and full of... My top-40 music loving sister, Theresa even had this CD, she said "this song reminds me of you"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back