Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening All,

Yesterday we intended to head north, but the wind was blowing out of the north, so it blew us south. We ate lunch here:

Resized_20240411_115455.jpeg

Was only 115 miles from home. Bonus to anyone who knows where we went. Food was good and priced ok.

This morning the wind was calm (for Kansas). We headed north today and went here:
20240412_124027.jpg

And then here:

20240412_154656.jpg

The Eisenhower library and the a trip on the Abilene Smokey Valley RR.

We did 500 miles in 2 days, home last night, and had a good time. Now to find other 1 day adventures...

Evening All,

Yesterday we intended to head north, but the wind was blowing out of the north, so it blew us south. We ate lunch here:

View attachment 185878

Was only 115 miles from home. Bonus to anyone who knows where we went. Food was good and priced ok.

This morning the wind was calm (for Kansas). We headed north today and went here:
View attachment 185880
And then here:

View attachment 185881

The Eisenhower library and the a trip on the Abilene Smokey Valley RR.

We did 500 miles in 2 days, home last night, and had a good time. Now to find other 1 day adventures...
I didn’t look past your post but we have eaten there twice if it’s the one in Stillwater, Ok

Anyone have a interaction with an electric fence I know I have here's a short account of one
Back in 1980 there was something of a gas crisis, with prices jumping from 69 cents a gallon to $1.30, and shortages/lines, etc. My Galaxy XL had a hearty appetite, and a fuel tank to match. I lived in a rural area adjoining the city, and several times I noticed my gas had been stolen overnight. A locking gas cap didn't really help, as the thieves just broke the cap and took the gas anyway. So....
I went to my neighbor, who was a cattle farmer, and borrowed one of his electric fence modules. I then connected it to the car.
I didn't have long to wait, because that night, I heard the most ungodly yell from my driveway. I dressed and went outside, to find two 5 gallon gas cans, and a hose sticking out of the tank of the car. There was a puddle of gas and vomit next to the car... My guess is the thief started siphoning the gas, and the fence module pulsed just as he got a mouthfull of gas. In retrospect, I'm probably lucky a spark from the fencer didn't cause a fire, but I never had a problem with stolen gas as long as I lived there.

Good Morning All!
49F @ 68% and overcast. To get upwards of 70F later.

I see spring has sprung for most as this place is not all that busy; and it is working just great!

Today is planting day for awhile this am. Maria has buckets for spuds, wants a couple of roses in near the front of the place and a bunch of carrots, radishes and little stuff like that. Joy. At least she has the little stuff in planter boxes where we do not have to get down on hands/knees to deal with them. Also need to split and move a couple of lilac plants to get them more in the sun. Thank god for back hoe's!

I get a kick out of people that say 'Age is just a number'. Ya, not a number but a variable .. even .. gasp .. a word!

Know how many Cowboys it takes to open a beer? Zero, it should be open when she brings it!

Y'all have fun now ya hear?

Later

[edit] and I forgot. Going down for Alissa's smoked chili about noon. Have heard good things about it, we will see.

Good morning all!!

Been on the road going to Kansas almost last trip then in Kansas for good.

Moving is not fun. We’ve had delays after delays with the moving company but everything got loaded and truck be at our house Tuesday. So that’s good.

Next trip driving my father’s truck with him to Kansas. And then the never ending unpacking and saying where the $&@& is this or hhhhmmm didn’t know we even had that.

Great to see you all here can’t stay long have get get back on the road.

Have a cup of ole Joe and let’s go!!!

I was ready to lose so money yesterday until I chipped in from 60 yards out for birdie on the last hole. That changed everything money wise. I usually share a cart with Darth Vader's brother in-law (James Earl Jones). My friend's (They call him the Sniper) wife just died a few months ago and he tells me he's moving in with Vader soon. I would like to go over there someday and see what's in that house. I'm going to guess a lot of Star Wars stuff.
Swal

Another beautiful good morning from the homestead in So. Central Wi. Wow, 5 days in a row with no clouds in the sky. It’s 39f degrees now heading to 70 and we will be at 2 indoor hockey rinks where the temperatures will be balmy 32f degrees or cooler! The breeze is a calm 3mph. A great day for traveling.

The 1st game will be 35 minutes away at 10:30 and game 2 is about 40 minutes away at 4:30. A good game yesterday where the grandson’s team won 8-3 and he got 2 assists. We had dinner after with a couple families and one of the coaches. The coach said something to the grandson about him not getting any goals. The grandson told him if you want me to score put me with some linemates that pass the puck. Then he went on telling the coach that the 4 goals his line scored were all unassisted because neither of the goal scorers when they get the puck will pass it. All 4 goals his linemates scored were dashes up the board from the far end of the rink. That shut the coach up. A little while later the coach said to the SIL if thats what really happened and SIL said, oh yeah. The 2 assists the grandson had were to teammates on line switches. Should be interesting to see the line up today.

I’m not sure I’ll fit anything besides a nap in between games today. Another night of ok but not a sound sleep!

The farmer/neighbor called last night asking if everything was ok with our deal. I said other than your son asking for a down payment yesterday yes. I had said if you want an escrow payment, I’ll have our agreement drawn up and you will have a payment Monday, not your son. I also said if I ever hear from your son again before the paperwork is signed, the deal is off. He said the son and daughter in law are ticked off because they were surprised by the deal and don’t think the money is enough. So I asked if he wanted out of the deal but he said no! Looks like a good deal for both of us may have some drama yet. Any more drama than yesterday though and I’m out and he is aware! Per the title company. In the preliminary search the property is free and clear and in the name of the guy I am dealing with and his wife who is sick. He does have other sections that has his name and the son’s name on the deeds and they are encumbered. But those are nothing we are dealing with. A section is 620 acres MOL and our deal is roughly 1.5 sections or about 900 acres. The surveyor said by noon today she will have the section boundaries marked off and we will know for sure. Terry says to finish the deal next week before their son tries to get more involved.

I remember as a kid in the late 50’s and 60’s looking at bomb shelters. Dad was worried until basically someone said if the bombs fall on Chicago do you really think anyone will survive and would you want to be able to live in the aftermath! I’m starting to think an underground bunker might be a damn good idea. The aftermath might be better than what the world is now…

Yesterday afternoon before the stock market closed was a good time to buy!

Have a great day

Last edited:
Happy Saturday all!

Weather looks to be gorgeus today with temps in the low 70s.

Time to do the first mowing of the season. I did go out yesterday and prepare the mower, so I know thats good. It did start fairly well from sitting all winter. I put the trickle charger on all night as it did crank a little slower than normal.

Other than that, grocery shopping, and laundry are also on the list.

Have a safe day everyone!

Good morning all!!

Been on the road going to Kansas almost last trip then in Kansas for good.

Moving is not fun. We’ve had delays after delays with the moving company but everything got loaded and truck be at our house Tuesday. So that’s good.

Next trip driving my father’s truck with him to Kansas. And then the never ending unpacking and saying where the $&@& is this or hhhhmmm didn’t know we even had that.

Great to see you all here can’t stay long have get get back on the road.

Have a cup of ole Joe and let’s go!!!
Good luck with the move, hopefully it smooth's out for you.

I too have moved several times and know what a drag it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back