Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flo. I need a drink. A double Pusser's rum please.
Makes me wonder if this character is on the bottle label:
Screen-Shot-2015-01-30-at-3.54.25-PM.png

Raining here today…
Went to 🇨🇦 Tire to pick up rat traps…
We never had rats in our neighborhood til Covid..
I think the closures pushed them further afield in search of food..
Last year I killed 3, my neighbour may have killed more… I know all of a sudden they were gone…
But it seems they are back this spring.. I see their trails across the backyard..

Anyway I took a pic leaving the box store plaza of hoppers on the spur behind the property…

Here’s to “GANKY”

20240411_111752.jpeg

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with chores then headed to the train room where I did a lot of interior tower painting then built a 2-piece wood floor that will have all the detail parts on it (switch machine etc.). I think tomorrow I'll be ready to start assembling the brick wall portion of the tower. The weather apocalypse we were supposed to get today turned into low winds and some rain.

Troy- I hope you get your tinnitus under control.

Bill- Neat photo.

TomO- My snow equipment is put up for the year!

Hughie- It sounds like a real mess there.

David- Hope you had a good drive.

Patrick- You gotta to take care of yourself.

Mac- Those are great photos.

Willie- Nice photos.

Airbrush- Nice catch.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Well howdy there internet peeps

[shakes head, trying to get the #$!@#$ crickets to quiet their racket]

A not so helpful day with the docs.

My doc referred me out to the ENTs didn't want to change anything. Call the ENTs (Ear Nose & Throat)

Was on hold with them for 30 minutes in Queue (I must have earned my honorary Brit status for queuing so long). The voice kept telling me to go online and set up an appointment... so I did while waiting.

oh look, the office close by has an opening tomorrow... let me get my insurance cards...fed the numbers in... and it wouldn't accept them. Tried again, making sure it was right number in correct field... nope. No joy in Mudville...

So I hit the button for call me back and leave my number. An hour later I got the call back.

Earliest appointment anywhere in the city (they have about 10 locations) is June 7.

HOLY..... I didnt finish the phrase... told the girl that online it showed an opening tomorrow.

She said, yeah, if you're a new patient, it won't take your insurance info, and it makes up phantom appointments to get your hopes up. Now I understand Rage Against the Machine, at least in part.

I took that appointment, then emailed my primary care back, and let him know I was stopping my Statin script. All of my meds have tinnitus as possible, but that was the most recent - along with Sildenafil (little blue pill). I suspect one or both of those is causing the issue.

If I go for a few weeks without the statins, then take the Sildenafil, and Tinnitus ramps up, I'll have my culprit. If it stays steady in a month or so, I'll have good evidence that the Statin may be the only cause.

Otherwise, if I stay on the statin, I suspect the upward trend of cricket symphony escalation will continue.

Lets see if primary doc comes back with the generic "don't change anything" or if he has an actual opinion.

Last edited:
Well howdy there internet peeps

[shakes head, trying to get the #$!@#$ crickets to quiet their racket]

A not so helpful day with the docs.

My doc referred me out to the ENTs didn't want to change anything. Call the ENTs (Ear Nose & Throat)

Was on hold with them for 30 minutes in Queue (I must have earned my honorary Brit status for queuing so long). The voice kept telling me to go online and set up an appointment... so I did while waiting.

oh look, the office close by has an opening tomorrow... let me get my insurance cards...fed the numbers in... and it wouldn't accept them. Tried again, making sure it was right number in correct field... nope. No joy in Mudville...

So I hit the button for call me back and leave my number. An hour later I got the call back.

Earliest appointment anywhere in the city (they have about 10 locations) is June 7.

HOLY..... I didnt finish the phrase... told the girl that online it showed an opening tomorrow.

She said, yeah, if you're a new patient, it won't take your insurance info, and it makes up phantom appointments to get your hopes up. Now I understand Rage Against the Machine, at least in part.

I took that appointment, then emailed my primary care back, and let him know I was stopping my Statin script. All of my meds have tinnitus as possible, but that was the most recent - along with Sildenafil (little blue pill). I suspect one or both of those is causing the issue.

If I go for a few weeks without the statins, then take the Sildenafil, and Tinnitus ramps up, I'll have my culprit. If it stays steady in a month or so, I'll have good evidence that the Statin may be the only cause.

Otherwise, if I stay on the statin, I suspect the upward trend of cricket symphony escalation will continue.

Lets see if primary doc comes back with the generic "don't change anything" or if he has an actual opinion.
Oh boy Troy, that sucks!
It's like my Daddy sez, Growin old ain't for sissies, but consider the alternative!!

Afternoon again,

I forgot to mention today is the US Navy Submarine Service's 124th birthday. The sub forces that are in port celebrate with formal events ( cocktail hours, speakers, toasts to those still on patrol, and a formal dinner) that always devolves into serious drunken shenanigans. I really miss them.

I'm not sure if you are getting your information from a medical professional or not. According to my ENT and also my PCP, Statins and Sildenafil can contribute to tinnitus, but are not the primary cause. They are both low on the list, which is topped by NSAIDS, primarily aspirin; certain antibiotics, diuretics and certain cancer medications. Neither one is even in the top ten. Statins have their own set of risks.
The primary irreversible cause of tinnitus is degeneration of the hair cells in the cochlea. What causes that? Loud noises and use of headphones are the primary causes.
Take this information from someone who has had tinnitus for over 30 years and has done extensive research without finding a cure. I used to think that crickets were following me everywhere until the first time that I got into a sound-proof booth for a hearing test. My hearing aids are set to mask much of the tinnitus noise levels, but not all.
Good luck with your testing.

Thats always a gamble in early April. As you know, we are still very much capable to have an 18" snow.

I have put mine away, so if we do get dumped on, you can blame me!
Thanks Mike! I will now happily go out and switch the snow blower for the grass cutter! As long as you will be accepting the blame…

The wife and entourage should have arrived in Wisconsin over 1 hour ago! But, the plane needed pilots and a crew. Crew arrived in Dallas when they should have been taking off. They were taxiing about 30 minutes ago. They still want pizzas when they get here.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with chores then headed to the train room where I did a lot of interior tower painting then built a 2-piece wood floor that will have all the detail parts on it (switch machine etc.). I think tomorrow I'll be ready to start assembling the brick wall portion of the tower. The weather apocalypse we were supposed to get today turned into low winds and some rain.

Troy- I hope you get your tinnitus under control.

Bill- Neat photo.

TomO- My snow equipment is put up for the year!

Hughie- It sounds like a real mess there.

David- Hope you had a good drive.

Patrick- You gotta to take care of yourself.

Mac- Those are great photos.

Willie- Nice photos.

Airbrush- Nice catch.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Real, real funny Curt!!!

Thankfully you didn’t need it…

We didn’t hit 60f degrees today but I saw my 1st dandelion of the season

I'm not sure if you are getting your information from a medical professional or not. According to my ENT and also my PCP, Statins and Sildenafil can contribute to tinnitus, but are not the primary cause. They are both low on the list, which is topped by NSAIDS, primarily aspirin; certain antibiotics, diuretics and certain cancer medications. Neither one is even in the top ten. Statins have their own set of risks.
The primary irreversible cause of tinnitus is degeneration of the hair cells in the cochlea. What causes that? Loud noises and use of headphones are the primary causes.
Take this information from someone who has had tinnitus for over 30 years and has done extensive research without finding a cure. I used to think that crickets were following me everywhere until the first time that I got into a sound-proof booth for a hearing test. My hearing aids are set to mask much of the tinnitus noise levels, but not all.
Good luck with your testing.
Yep.... been doing the research. Google Scholar since I don't have a PubMed subscription. Trying to read real papers, and not just white papers from the Pharm industry.

I'm also on Famotadine and Losartan, both have links. I've tried to limit the Ibuprofen, and have switched to the topical for general aches. My hearing damage was decades ago. I've been very good about it since. It didn't take me long to start carrying foam ear plugs when I was shooting weddings. I was THAT GUY who went up to the DJ at the reception, sound meter app on the phone pointing and shouting that he was going to go deaf. They never believed me.

Some of you may remember I ordered some interiors for my three passenger cars from Gold Rush Bay in January, well I've contacted PayPal and informed them of the non-delivery of these items (the tracking number he's provided shows that USPS is still awaiting the items). He has until the 19th of this month to respond, so it's going to be an interesting 7 days to see what happens.

I'm looking at getting replacement interiors, I've found the Palace Car Company, I see Walthers also carry their interiors, so I think I'm safe ordering from them directly, once I get my refund that is.

Last edited:
I think it was NSAIDS that did me in on Tinnitus… long time user
Those no doubt didn't help mine but I know precisely what caused most of it.
17135814592_6372dbbc24_b.jpg

You will note the muffler, items my late father thought were extraneous. That photo is probably 1961 or 1962. I didn't help it out any when I forgot to pull the muffs down for one shot when sighting in the 300 RUM a number of years back.

Those no doubt didn't help mine but I know precisely what caused most of it.
17135814592_6372dbbc24_b.jpg

You will note the muffler, items my late father thought were extraneous. That photo is probably 1961 or 1962. I didn't help it out any when I forgot to pull the muffs down for one shot when sighting in the 300 RUM a number of years back.

Love the crawler pic! We had a similar crawler when I was a kid, notice the straight pipe exhaust!

MeandPoppop - adjusted 5x7.jpg

Yea, that's me driving, circa 1974. Lots of farm equipment had little to no mufflers back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back