Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

1712481549265.png

Water Tower and Steam Engine at Vandalia
(Bass Photo Collection, Indiana Historical Society)

Good morning from a pink sky beginning morning. Red sky at night a sailors delight, red sky at morning sailors take warning…

At least it will be too warm to snow again. It’s currently 40f degrees heading now only to the high 40’s. Yesterday the Wisconsin weather guessers had mid 50’s on the app for today. The wind chill is at 24 and breeze is actually a strong 18mph with gusts to 30.

I posted in my Continuous Weathering thread yesterday’s progress. I had a good day.

Today, I may get both grandkids this afternoon for 3 to 6 hours. The parents want a break…

I am heading out for a last minute op session. It’s a great layout for 2 crews of 2 and a session generally is 90 minutes up to 120. It’s one of those all of a sudden your amazed the time is gone.

If the grandkids don’t show, I will spend some of the afternoon at the bench

Enjoy your day

Morning All! I know I've been incommunicado for a while. Between moving the daughter into her condo, work (clearing the decks for my absence), and my upcoming surgery I haven't had time for much of anything else. I had the surgery Friday. They sent me home yesterday. They were able to do the whole thing robotically so I have a bunch of little incisions all over my belly. They got it all. I go back mid-April for the post-surgery visit, and I'll be doing immunotherapy for a good while, maybe for the rest of my life. Right now I'm sore as hell, but it's handleable. Four weeks before I can lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk, a couple of days of bland diet until my gut wakes all the way up and 8 days of blood thinners I have to inject myself with. I've never given myself a shot before. This will be interesting!

Good Morning All. Clear and 54° out here on the SFW estate. Cooler yesterday than Friday, and mid to upper 70's again today. 82° tomorrow for the eclipse if the clouds don't form first...there may be an hour leeway either way from the big event. Clouds or no clouds, it will be quite dark here for a few minutes. Heavy thunderstorms predicted for around midnight Monday through noon Tuesday. Forecast is for near 2" total.

Yesterday's activities included mowing and cutting firewood. Indoors was emptying the dishwasher and doing laundry. All of the above again today except the dishwasher. Depending on the wind, I might just be doing some grilling tonight. I'll take out some ground beef and if conditions are right, it will be burgers, otherwise it's Tacos. They're both the same; meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onions, all enclosed by a wrapper made of flour. Burgers get pickles and tacos get Jalapenos.

Yesterday out in the train shed was a wasted day, sort of. I spent the whole time with my new engines, breaking them in sort of. I ran them on both decks pulling various strings of unit or manifest trains. Tried them a bit switching on both levels, since that was what some of them were relegated to towards the end of my modeling era. No problems anywhere except one industrial spur that gives all six axle engines a bit of a fit. No problem for four axle units which is why I primarily usually use the fleet of CF7's and GP35's for local switching. Not all of my time out there was running trains though, I did set about 2 dozen more headstones in the cemetery.
Here are a couple of shots of those GP35's in action.
03-03-19 007.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

IMG_2125.JPG

Todd - I did the raise the head end of the bed 40 years ago but used bricks instead of 2"x4" blocks. Not noticeable at all.
David - So how much rain do you actually get every year where you are at? Seems that you are posting rain on most days.
Curt - I am kind of partial to the longer hoods on the SD40-2's as well; although I only have 2 but have at least 12 of the regular length. A couple of the older Blue Boxer's are going to the dead line this week.
Jaz - Sorry to read of the animal misfortunes. I think that the "pink sugar" that Terry referred to is Sweet & Low, not some nefarious version of the poison stuff. I don't use either. When preparing meals, I use Monkfruit.

As noted yesterday, Prohibition in the US ended on this day 91 years ago. So today is National Beer Day. Flo, put everyone's brew on my tab today.
Everyone have a great Sunday

Morning All! I know I've been incommunicado for a while. Between moving the daughter into her condo, work (clearing the decks for my absence), and my upcoming surgery I haven't had time for much of anything else. I had the surgery Friday. They sent me home yesterday. They were able to do the whole thing robotically so I have a bunch of little incisions all over my belly. They got it all. I go back mid-April for the post-surgery visit, and I'll be doing immunotherapy for a good while, maybe for the rest of my life. Right now I'm sore as hell, but it's handleable. Four weeks before I can lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk, a couple of days of bland diet until my gut wakes all the way up and 8 days of blood thinners I have to inject myself with. I've never given myself a shot before. This will be interesting!
The shot part after that 1st one is easy. Don’t over think it.

Glad they got it all. Be well!

Good afternoon all. This weekend has been rather windy with rain and some sunshine. Hopefully it is a 'lambing storm' for the farmers. A good omen for them if it is.

Willie. No idea how much rain we get a year, just more than our fair share. 🤣
It annoys me though when we do get a day or so of sunshine the Global Warming Warriors are out in force. Had they been around in 1976 they would have had a 'field day'. In 1976 no matter what you did or went a coat was never required. It was 70+ F on a nighttime.

Ran some trains yesterday.

The layout is set in Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway territory. The L&Y and the London & North Western Railway had an excellent running of trains partnership. It was so good, in 1922 they amalgamated.

A LNWR passenger train on a Stockport to Leeds Sovereign Street service The carriages are: 6 wheeled All 1st, 6 wheeled All 3rd and a 4 wheeled 1st/3rd.

IMG_3048.JPG

The All 1st Class seen at Leeds Sovereign Street Station.

IMG_3049.JPG

Freight train on its way to Dewsbury Market Place Station

IMG_3050.JPG

IMG_3051.JPG

Well, howdy there internet people, and those who like to tip the PD

It's Troy again.

First, on tipping the PD: It was before my time, but a guy I worked for in HS, said he missed the days when our drivers license came in a clear plastic sleeve. He kept a C-note ($100) folded behind the license in the sleeve. Officer would take the license back to the patrol car, radio it in. No warrants, and he'd return the card and sleeve a little lighter than when he took it. A verbal warning would then ensue. Thank the officer, and drive away without a ticket. That would have been in the 1970s.

To those with health issues in the family, i'll send positive coffee vibes your way.

I think I'm easing out of my burnout on gaming. Painting the tanks for one game is helping me on the others. Not quite sure I want to be around large groups of people yet, but a group of 20 would be ok.

So I signed up for a game tourney in Dayton OH in 5 weeks. Wondering if I can paint an entire army of Swift Forged Orcs in that time.

I've mentioned this before, and it seems the game has a type of Orc that are reforged by orcish deities in "the Rift" between worlds, and sent back into battle. These are "Rift-forged Orcs" in the game.

With a certain blonde singer making heading headlines and huge amounts of $$$$$ I figure she'd have her own line of Orcs. So I need to paint up and theme SWIFT-FORGED ORCS ®.

Swift Forged.jpg

now I just need to find some 3D files to print up Rock Band Orcs.

If you can think up some good puns or plays on Band Name/Singer names I can work into the theme, let me know.

I've mentioned this before, and it seems the game has a type of Orc that are reforged by orcish deities in "the Rift" between worlds, and sent back into battle. These are "Rift-forged Orcs" in the game.

With a certain blonde singer making heading headlines and huge amounts of $$$$$ I figure she'd have her own line of Orcs. So I need to paint up and theme SWIFT-FORGED ORCS ®.

View attachment 185608

If you can think up some good puns or plays on Band Name/Singer names I can work into the theme, let me know.
How about Taylor and the Grotecz?

Best wishes and prayers going forward. We'll be ready to see more examples of your excellent modeling.

Good morning all from soggy Northern Illinois!

We made the decision to suck it up and drive from Flordia straight through. With traffic around Birmingham, and Nashville it took us just under 17 hours to do it. It was sure nice to wake up this morning in our own house!

Now the unloading and laundry has started. I ran early and got the dog out of hock from the boarders.

See you guys were busy. Have 2 1/2 pages of posts to go back through so Im up to speed.

Have a great Sunday all!

Good Morning All. Clear and 54° out here on the SFW estate. Cooler yesterday than Friday, and mid to upper 70's again today. 82° tomorrow for the eclipse if the clouds don't form first...there may be an hour leeway either way from the big event. Clouds or no clouds, it will be quite dark here for a few minutes. Heavy thunderstorms predicted for around midnight Monday through noon Tuesday. Forecast is for near 2" total.

Yesterday's activities included mowing and cutting firewood. Indoors was emptying the dishwasher and doing laundry. All of the above again today except the dishwasher. Depending on the wind, I might just be doing some grilling tonight. I'll take out some ground beef and if conditions are right, it will be burgers, otherwise it's Tacos. They're both the same; meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onions, all enclosed by a wrapper made of flour. Burgers get pickles and tacos get Jalapenos.

Yesterday out in the train shed was a wasted day, sort of. I spent the whole time with my new engines, breaking them in sort of. I ran them on both decks pulling various strings of unit or manifest trains. Tried them a bit switching on both levels, since that was what some of them were relegated to towards the end of my modeling era. No problems anywhere except one industrial spur that gives all six axle engines a bit of a fit. No problem for four axle units which is why I primarily usually use the fleet of CF7's and GP35's for local switching. Not all of my time out there was running trains though, I did set about 2 dozen more headstones in the cemetery.
Here are a couple of shots of those GP35's in action. View attachment 185601
View attachment 185602
View attachment 185603

Todd - I did the raise the head end of the bed 40 years ago but used bricks instead of 2"x4" blocks. Not noticeable at all.
David - So how much rain do you actually get every year where you are at? Seems that you are posting rain on most days.
Curt - I am kind of partial to the longer hoods on the SD40-2's as well; although I only have 2 but have at least 12 of the regular length. A couple of the older Blue Boxer's are going to the dead line this week.
Jaz - Sorry to read of the animal misfortunes. I think that the "pink sugar" that Terry referred to is Sweet & Low, not some nefarious version of the poison stuff. I don't use either. When preparing meals, I use Monkfruit.

As noted yesterday, Prohibition in the US ended on this day 91 years ago. So today is National Beer Day. Flo, put everyone's brew on my tab today.
Everyone have a great Sunday
Ah pink sugar sweet and low my bad but I still thought taking her own was a brilliant idea I take a small bag of emergency food and drink for us when we go out
Well, howdy there internet people, and those who like to tip the PD

It's Troy again.

First, on tipping the PD: It was before my time, but a guy I worked for in HS, said he missed the days when our drivers license came in a clear plastic sleeve. He kept a C-note ($100) folded behind the license in the sleeve. Officer would take the license back to the patrol car, radio it in. No warrants, and he'd return the card and sleeve a little lighter than when he took it. A verbal warning would then ensue. Thank the officer, and drive away without a ticket. That would have been in the 1970s.

To those with health issues in the family, i'll send positive coffee vibes your way.

I think I'm easing out of my burnout on gaming. Painting the tanks for one game is helping me on the others. Not quite sure I want to be around large groups of people yet, but a group of 20 would be ok.

So I signed up for a game tourney in Dayton OH in 5 weeks. Wondering if I can paint an entire army of Swift Forged Orcs in that time.

View attachment 185608

talk to the orc
Walk the walk with orc
Orc the hawk
I have one with pork but it’s not polite
Zork the orc

Agonizer
Agonie
Agonnee
Beeta
Snarkie
Gnasher
Herja - this is a Valkyrie name in fact
Kara and other Valkyrie names would like be good
Blonde I think this one would be fun for the singer because…..
luscious or lussus so it sounds right but looks wrong lol
Grewsum
Yeah I think I have a theme lol

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I spoke with Chet (montanan) yesterday for about 30 minutes. He and the doggies are doing well and he wishes everyone here well too. His computer is down right now for upgrades so he hasn't logged on; and like me, he doesn't use the phone to visit here. His Birthday is Monday, either 78 or 79, I don't remember which.
Sherrel, he's been trying to get in touch with you, so check your phone.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with chores and the stove was delivered around 1 pm. Now I'm just goofing off. We may go out to supper tonight, but not sure.

Jazz- Beautiful dog.

Karl- Sad news about your friend. Nothing brings a layout to life like signals.

Grizzled- Great looking dogs.

Bill- Neat photo.

David- I hope Dawn feels better. Nice looking scenes.

Alan- I'm glad the surgery went well.

Willie- Nice looking motive power.

Troy- When you say "the rift" are you talking about the movie (Lovecraft) or the game?

Mike- It's good to get back home.

Sherrel- I thought it was King Newsome?

Chet- Happy Birthday. 🎂

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back