Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Started out the day doing animal chores and getting the pool ready for the extended season. I still need to use chlorine on the pool deck and vacuum the pool afterwards. I also got a haircut, dropped off books at the library and got 10 gallons of pool chlorine (4 jugs). Tomorrow there is an HOA meeting in the morning.

Mike- Great video. I prefer the blue packet stuff. I get a nasty aftertaste with Sweet & Low and Stevia.

Bill- Nice photo.

TomO- Sorry to hear about the operating session. Hopefully the individual will be OK.

Smudge- If those were all steamers then heck yeah.

kgstakes- Welcome. My Dad is 91 and living with us so I to I also totally understand.

Guy- Don't worry, I have seen you're a man! :D All I can say is beware of Skynet.

Willie- Very nice structures.

Hughie- Nice layout shot.

David- Of course they will take you for all they can. One of the dentists is telling me I should come in every 3 months for a cleaning...I don't think so. Nice layout shots.

Joe- Welcome back. I hope you or your family weren't impacted by the earthquake in NJ. I drink my iced tea without sugar but I occasionally I like mint in it.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Morning!

28F outside with a 68% chance that some kind of precipitation will fall from the sky. Maybe rain, maybe snow.

I need to get that bathroom reno on the road. In middle of this month, I'm getting a hernia surgery. They're telling me I'll need to take it easy for awhile after the operation, so I might not be working on a reno. - Might be a great time to complete a couple more layout buildings.

kgstakes - Hi! Good to see you come in.

Chad - The music video was cool, but, I don't believe that punk stuff is long lasting sound.

Curt - The 6-p's is a good one to store in memory.

Mike - Wonderful Dolphin photos!

Folks, I will never like AI generated photos.
Another unrelated forum I'm in, asked us to type our user name into an AI program to see what turns up. My user name is Mtnflyer, and this is what the AI program sees me as:
View attachment 185497
I don't believe I look like that in real life; at least I hope that's not how people see me. I thought I was a-bit more masculine.

Anyway, I need to get the dog walked and continue tiling the shower surround. I am the slowest tiler on the planet.

Have a wonderful day!
Hey you still gave your hair snd it’s not grey
No nostril hair
No ear hair
Good jawline
Looks like you could give the dirty look a bonus at times saves ending up in a fight
I pluck my husband eye brows well I snip them while he evades me
I have seen worse and hey a lot of woman will go for that 👀 look…..

Sniggers

Busy getting costs regarding these, I think I'll buy them but waiting on a few companies to get back with prices, as these are pre-order for April '25 delivery.

As I have no idea about the postage costs if I import them myself I'm working $90 postage with import tax included, that's around $1500, or $300 per loco, which seems about right for a BNIB DCC-ready loco here.
Faints

whelp: been about a month since last dropped in. cruised by a few times, stopped & listened to the shop banter now & again
winter here comes & goes, takin vit D as there is not much sun here lately. AB used to be the *sunniest* hrs/yr of all of Canada.
Re shreddies:

Attachments

• small bale wheat.jpg
    small bale wheat.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 13
  • large bale shtredded wheat.jpg
    large bale shtredded wheat.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 12
  • shreddies.jpg
    shreddies.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 12
  • hockey muggets.jpg
    hockey muggets.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 11
I hope you or your family weren't impacted by the earthquake in NJ.
That earthquake was an interesting experience. Wife and I were sitting at the kitchen table, preparing to run a few errands. We felt this "rumble" running SE to NW, and the sound of appliances shaking. About half way through I finally realized what it was and said Earthquake! Shortly after that it was done. No damage, no harm, and not really scary, just weird.

Strange thing was the epicenter, was to our North West, but the rumble felt like it was going toward the North West. Those things are strange.
Hey, Last Spring we had Tornadoes, this Spring Earthquakes...this is Jersey, we don't get either of those events on a normal basis...we get NorEasters.

That earthquake was an interesting experience. Wife and I were sitting at the kitchen table, preparing to run a few errands. We felt this "rumble" running SE to NW, and the sound of appliances shaking. About half way through I finally realized what it was and said Earthquake! Shortly after that it was done. No damage, no harm, and not really scary, just weird.

Strange thing was the epicenter, was to our North West, but the rumble felt like it was going toward the North West. Those things are strange.
Hey, Last Spring we had Tornadoes, this Spring Earthquakes...this is Jersey, we don't get either of those events on a normal basis...we get NorEasters.
I have never been in a BIG earthquake, but the ones I went through were like that, before you realize what it is, its over.

When I moved to Houston from California, everybody i talked to said, How can you live in CA with all those earthquakes? The next week Hurricane Alan was coming in. The supermarkets had paper bags with tracking maps to track the progress of the oncoming hurricane. I worked for an airline, so I flew up to Dallas for the hurricane. Alan did a job on Houston. I prefer the earthquakes.

I have never been in a BIG earthquake, but the ones I went through were like that, before you realize what it is, its over.

When I moved to Houston from California, everybody i talked to said, How can you live in CA with all those earthquakes? The next week Hurricane Alan was coming in. The supermarkets had paper bags with tracking maps to track the progress of the oncoming hurricane. I worked for an airline, so I flew up to Dallas for the hurricane. Alan did a job on Houston. I prefer the earthquakes.
I think it's what we've become accustomed to first. I've lived in and around areas that experienced hurricanes and tornadoes for many decades. Then, we moved to California, (which now also gets hurricanes). After a couple of earthquakes, I've decided I'd rather deal with the storms than ground movement.

Good afternoon all. A large coffee please, Flo. Will it rain or will the sun shine? It appears to want to do both.

Trying to keep out of the way before Dawn finds something to do. ;)

I have stories going around my head. I shall have to write one. Sometimes a story sounds good, then 'hits the rails' and is abandoned. Some I wonder where it is going? Certainly not to a sensible conclusion. I am still working on one.

Back later

Good morning to ALL. FOR those who prefer the ground shaking over the wind moving things, or vice a versa, have a wonderful discussion. Personally, I care for neither.

It’s calm outside with the winds motoring along at 1mpg. It’s 26f degrees with a nice emerging blue sky. High guess for the day is 57 and most of the snow from the other day is gone.

Last night I watched (ok had the TV on), game 1 of the women’s Final 4 BB game. Impressed by both So. Carolina and NC State. Good fast paced but controlled game by both teams. Watched the 1st 1/2 of game 2 and was disappointed. Totally out of control sloppy sloppy game with extremely poor floor management by both. It looked like a poorly played high school game. So I switched to the Wings and Rangers NHL game that was tied 3-3 when I started watching. Switched it off when the Rangers broke the tie in the 3rd period. Didn’t care, have not looked to see who won. Turned on to see how former Black Hawks Patrick Kane on Detroit and the “bread man” on the Rangers were doing.

Today! Not sure after yesterday’s cancellation of another op session as what I had planned for today I did yesterday. 99% of the snow from Wednesday is gone and I am thawing Italian sausages, brats and hamburgers. So this afternoon I will be grilling. I have at least 1 buddy coming over to try out my paint spray booth. He has 6 box cars he wants to spray and has been using spray cans and does a nice job. His wife can no longer handle the smells even when he sprays in the garage. So he asked if he could spray using my booth! Sure. I will find stuff to do till he arrives

enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 62°. Supposed to be a windy day today, with winds around 20 mph all day out of the south. But it won't be as warm as yesterday, just 78° today; yesterday was 84°.

Yesterday was "light chores" day outside, weedeating and hand mowing around the house and pool. Went through the garden and hand-picked some weeds growing too close to real plants that I can't really get with the hoe. Picked Lettuce and Radishes. The heat of the last two days will cause the Lettuce to "bolt"; that is it will send up a seed stalk and become useless and bitter. I'll have to pick the remaining five plants this morning and find a place in the fridge for them. Meanwhile there are the "direct-seeded" Lettuce plants that are much smaller and won't be affected, yet.

Weather people are still predicting clouds for the eclipse of the Sun on Monday. Sad because it probably won't happen again here in my lifetime; at least not total like this event. It's good for the Texas economy though, as every hotel room in close proximity to the eclipse path is fully booked. I also read that all of the camping berths at the state park at the lake about 12 miles away are also fully booked. Going to be a lot of disappointed people. Regardless though, it will get dark here for a while and freak out all of the native animals.

Received a notification yesterday that I had a package waiting at the Post Office that wouldn't fit in the mailbox.
IMG_1540.1.JPG

Yes! My SD40-2's from ScaleTrains. First thing was to remove those ScaleTrains couplers and substitute Kadee #148's in the front ends.
IMG_1541.JPG

I leave the rear ones in place since I always run my engines in pairs, back to back, and I don't mind that I can't use the magnetic uncoupling feature between the two.
IMG_1543.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

Upon closer inspection, I may have a bent truck component in one of the trucks. I'll see if I can fix it before I ask for another one.
These are the standard SD40-2's with the 88" long low nose. Here's one next to the Locotrol-equipped 123" long low nose.
IMG_1547.JPG

Terry - Watch out for that sleep apnea, it can potentially be dangerous.
KG - Good luck with the move, be safe.
Guy - Best wishes with the hernia surgery.
Mike - You needed more bikini-clad girls in those Crab Island pictures.

Today is New Beer's Eve. Prohibition ended on April 7, 1933. So everyone join me in hoisting a few today. I do it at home these days so I don't have to drive.

Everyone have a great day.

I noticed when I sleep on my back, and snore, I wake up with a headache. From what my doc told me, I may have mild sleep apnea, and the headache is from when I stop breathing, which pushes my blood pressure up, resulting in the headache.
Terry: Talked with the doc about apnea at length and that Maria says sometimes I would come out of sleep almost gasping for air. End result was 'raise your head a touch'. So, because that was pretty hard to do in my case as I toss and turn while rolling around, I just put a couple of 2x4 blocks under the headboard. That 1 1/2" seems to do the trick and it is not enough slope to cause sliding toward the foot. Wife pretty much quit snoring also. I did not tell her what I did, so she will figure it out when under the bed gets cleaned. Oh, I also asked about sleep length. Most of the time I seem to only need 6ish hours and ima wide awake. Does me no good laying there trying to go back to sleep, so I just get up. Yes, sometime wide awake after 4 hours, but that only means I get to do a executive nap sometime in the morning. The result of my sleep time - 'different strokes for different folks'. There are times when I do 10 hours - guess the body knows when to do more?

later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back