Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, all! A really nice day on hand and I hope we can get out and enjoy it. Not much to report on.

Eclipse - Lots of disappointed folks around here as forecasters are saying we will be very cloudy.

AI - If you want to have a little fun with it try this, write a paragraph or two about something. Be sure to put some details in, maybe the history of your layout build. The ask AI to re-write in the style of some famous people, maybe your favorite author. I tried Dr. Seuse, and it was hysterical.

KG - Welcome

Since I have no projects going in the train room I'll just drop something from the archives.
1712332537405.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

A question for you Southerners:

Is there something against sweet-n-low in the south. I have now been to at least 3-4 restaurants down here in Florida that have not had it. They have Splenda and stevia, but no sweet n low. I have to have it with my iced tea, as the other option (besides plain sugar) give an aftertaste,

Just wondered if it was a southern thing?
You're on vacation, you should be putting vodka in your tea not sugar. 🤣🤣

We went to Crab Island yesterday. It’s a shallow sandbar out in the Gulf of Mexico. It ranges from knee deep to waist deep. It was really cool to see. It was something we had wanted to do the last couple of times we had come down here but never found the time.

And I finally got to get in the Gulf.

Here are a few photos

IMG_1122.jpeg
IMG_1123.jpeg
IMG_1121.jpeg

IMG_1125.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1123.jpeg
    IMG_1123.jpeg
    542.3 KB · Views: 13
Good Morning!

28F outside with a 68% chance that some kind of precipitation will fall from the sky. Maybe rain, maybe snow.

I need to get that bathroom reno on the road. In middle of this month, I'm getting a hernia surgery. They're telling me I'll need to take it easy for awhile after the operation, so I might not be working on a reno. - Might be a great time to complete a couple more layout buildings.

kgstakes - Hi! Good to see you come in.

Chad - The music video was cool, but, I don't believe that punk stuff is long lasting sound.

Curt - The 6-p's is a good one to store in memory.

Mike - Wonderful Dolphin photos!

Folks, I will never like AI generated photos.
Another unrelated forum I'm in, asked us to type our user name into an AI program to see what turns up. My user name is Mtnflyer, and this is what the AI program sees me as:
View attachment 185497
I don't believe I look like that in real life; at least I hope that's not how people see me. I thought I was a-bit more masculine.

Anyway, I need to get the dog walked and continue tiling the shower surround. I am the slowest tiler on the planet.

Have a wonderful day!
I guess you'll have to change you name from Guy to Gal.🙃

I'm curious. What is it about the AI images that doesn't appeal?

I've seen it described as "they don't have any soul"... but I'm used to looking at covers designed with 3D images generated from supposedly NonAI tech, or even a lot of cut and paste of images stitched together. I'm not seeing a difference between the AI and those other types.

Now, compare to a real artist (digital or physical media) and there is a notable difference if you look hard enough. But its not always apparent in a casual glance.

So I'm curious as to what you're seeing/not seeing that makes it different enough to stand apart?

AI images realy have no soul. And for fantasy and similar I'd rather have hand draw and painted art than "photo realstic" (even when some of it is cartoonish proportions). And they all look the same. There is no creative thought or process behind them.

Good evening all. A glass of spiced rum no ice please, Flo.

Dawn's dental appointment went quite well. Although she has looked after her teeth very well, just some minor work to be done. (In other words finding some work to extract more money. )

In the train room yesterday.
As it is 1914/1919 some military train movements have to be made.

A troop train heading south. North British Railway carriages seen at Leeds Sovereign Street Station.
As I live in the land of the former N.B.R. I had to have a carriage or two. :))

IMG_3044.JPG

The train heading south

The first carriage belongs Stockton & Darlington Railway

IMG_3045.JPG

Will the boys be back before Christmas?

IMG_3047.JPG

Well good morning, first time being here so I’ll follow everyone else.

This morning 27f degrees high 45f cloudy all day. Just sitting here in the reading room 😉 reading everyone’s comments.

Wife and I got all our stuff boxed up for the move come Tuesday or Wednesday. Now helping my father sort through his stuff (he’s moving close to us also, he’s 89 so needs help with things).

Other than that not much going on, like the skillet idea, I’ve been using an old cookie sheet wife gave me some time ago.

I’ll stop in from time to time but sorry never care for the coffee so I’ll have a hot cocoa if you don’t mind.

Best get going see you all later
Welcome aboard. Don't worry about not being a coffee drinker! There are quite a few of us! Me, I’m a diet Dr Pepper guy

Good Morning All. Clear and 54° with another beautiful Spring day in store. Slightly warmer today and a bit more breeze at 7-9 mph.

Yesterday's grocery trek was unremarkable, Bidenomics is still causing some price fluctuations, mostly up. Gasoline around town is up this week, looked like most places were at $3.45/gal. I drove by the day-laborer corner in Denton and it was more crowded than usual. Not sure if it's just more people needing work, or another influx of immigrants. The City of Denton has added additional picnic tables/benches and more trash receptacles to the large pavilion that they built about 15 years ago, along with what looks like 6-Porta-Potties now, up from the previous 3.
On the home front, I did hand-water the Onions, Broccoli, Spinach and Lettuce in the garden; today I will move over and do the Green Peas. I also took advantage of no wind and burned the backlog of "burn-trash". Reviewed the plan to set out Tomato and Pepper plants and where the Green Beans and Squash will go.
As I planned, I skipped mowing yesterday, instead I finally re-attacked the giant pile of firewood trees that the neighboring farmer left over next to my hayfield. I cut up a week's worth and got quite a workout. Had to stop once and disassemble the saw to put the chain back on. Needed extra tools since it got caught up under the tip guard.
I then showered and we went out to gorge ourselves on Italian food at our favorite place in Sanger, 12 miles away.

I didn't visit the train shed yesterday since I had so much else going on.
I use a lot of different materials in my structure building, mostly kits from various manufacturers; plastic, laser-cut wood, Hydrocal and cardstock. Here are a few cardstock structures that I don't usually feature, but still fit the layout. All are "freebie" downloads from various sites on the net.
This is "Old MacDonald's Farmhouse.
View attachment 185498
This is Skelly General Engineers, a backdrop low-relief structure that I enhanced with downspouts and a gooseneck lamp.
View attachment 185499
One of my favorites is Mick's Food Market, which I made more 3D by adding strip styrene to represent door and window frames, sills and headers.
View attachment 185500
I also added the sidewalk and porch supports.

Joe - Thanks for posting, I was wondering where you were? I hope that all is well.
Mike - Sweet & Low is at the tables/drink dispensers in most places around here, so maybe it's just a Florida thing. I don't use it or any other sugar or sugar-substitute so I can't comment further.
Tom O - Are overall Covid cases prevalent in your area? Or do you think that one member of your operating group brought it into the fold? It just doesn't seem to be widespread around here. "Official statistics" (to be taken with several large grains of salt) for my county shows .9 cases/100K people, yep, .9 cases. With just 40,000 population in the whole county, they must have had to look hard to find that statistic. I'm sure that there are more that are just not reported.
KG - Welcome to the Coffee Shop. Always good to see a new face here, more tips for Flo and Francine.

Everybody have a fantastic Friday and a good upcoming weekend.
There is a general up tick in reported Wisconsin Covid cases per the Wisconsin news site I go to. But, within my operating group of 21 layouts there is a huge increase. While they stress before you come, if you don’t feel good take a test, don’t pass it on. The newsletter weekly lets the Crew know about a Covid report. There are lots of Covid deniers in the overall group. But it’s hard to place blame on anyone as it could be anyone. One of my friends is part of the admin team and they have narrowed the maybe “carriers” down to 4 guys, but they are just guessing. I test before I go and that’s good enough for me. I have the booster shots, flu shots, and anything else recommended for a 71 year old diabetic. Most of the guys and gals have younger grandkids, the kids maybe getting it from school. Plus, just because you have the shots and boosters, while you may test negative it’s possible to be a carrier. Wuhan, really did a number on the World…

Now where's that Lottery ticket I haven't bought yet.

View attachment 185463
Busy getting costs regarding these, I think I'll buy them but waiting on a few companies to get back with prices, as these are pre-order for April '25 delivery.

As I have no idea about the postage costs if I import them myself I'm working $90 postage with import tax included, that's around $1500, or $300 per loco, which seems about right for a BNIB DCC-ready loco here.

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those debating how artificially sweet to be

It's Troy Again....

I must have been snoring last night. Wife got out of bed around 2:30. I rolled over away from her because that woke me. A few minutes later she was back and the cat jumped on me. I'm not saying she went to find the cat to toss at me, but ....

I must have stopped the sawmill because she stayed in bed.

I did, however, have a headache. I'd taken two ibuprofen around midnight. They let me fall asleep, but the headache is still there. That I put down to the weather. And an extra glass of whiskey last night. The weather put me in the mood for a double.

Still dealing with the fallout of having to rebuild my master edits of my older books. I've discovered it's best to cut one chapter out of the PDF. It grabs the page headers and footers, and has hyphenations for words split at the end of lines, which makes hard returns appear in the next few lines. And gives wonky spacings after Ws and Ys before full stops/periods. Not much I can Search and Replace except for the (space)/period stuff.

Yes, I'm backing up both the master files and the exported Word files to drop box, a thumb drive, and exporting into various locations.

Been playing with the Image Generator for some book cover ideas... Supposed to be a "Deadly Duo" of main characters -- think Black Widow from Marvel with an older (adopted) brother. Sometimes the generator gives me both of them, sometimes just one.
View attachment 185491
The girl in the purple image to the right fits my mental image of the MC better than the one on the left with the green sword. But the gent behind her is great for the other half.

Back to cutting and pasting.
Agreed bloke is tasty and rh girl is prettier….keep going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back