Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. so Central Wisconsin is entering the 2nd 12 hours of the 24 hour rain event. Then after that stops and the temperatures drop “depending” where we are, we are scheduled for 3-6” of snow. More northern Wisconsin and east might get 12”. I haven’t put the snow fighting equipment away for a reason…

We are going to head out to vote. I don’t really care who you vote for, just go vote if this is a day for you to do so.

Have a wonderful day

Good morning everyone!

We have struck out 2 days in a row to get to the beach and swim in the Gulf. Sunday, and yesterday both had red flag warnings due to the wind, so knee deep was it. We will try again tomorrow. Supposed to be a calmer day. Would suck to come all this way and not get to swim in the Gulf of Mexico.

Tonight is a dolphin cruise and fireworks at sunset. We did it 2 years ago and had a great time, so looking forward to being able to get out on the water finally.

So far having a great time, weather is much better than in Illinois right now!

Have a great day all!

Good morning everyone!

We have struck out 2 days in a row to get to the beach and swim in the Gulf. Sunday, and yesterday both had red flag warnings due to the wind, so knee deep was it. We will try again tomorrow. Supposed to be a calmer day. Would suck to come all this way and not get to swim in the Gulf of Mexico.

Tonight is a dolphin cruise and fireworks at sunset. We did it 2 years ago and had a great time, so looking forward to being able to get out on the water finally.

So far having a great time, weather is much better than in Illinois right now!

Have a great day all!
Mike: Did that many moons ago in Hawaii. It was somewhat strange to have them come right up to ya, but they were quite careful and would let you grab a fin where they would pull you along for awhile. My cousin made it a kind of religious thing sometime in the early 80's and that attracted a ton of people. He still lives on O'ahu but I don't know if he is still 'swimming with the dolphins' or not these days. I did it in 73ish.

Later

Thank you, MIKE!
A quick small story - Back when I had the motor home - the Wife and I were to;d by a cousin to be sure and stop in DESTIN, so we just happened to drive up to the "pay window" for Henderson State Park campground. The lady laughed and told us that the next vacancy was the next year! Just as we were starting to pull away ... the gentleman working with her shouted, "Someone just cancelled so we have a spot". We could not believe our luck! We stayed the night there and MOH got to swim in the gulf about 300 feet from our spot. It was beautiful! We still laugh about our just happening to drive up there at that exact time. What a beautiful place!

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 54°, with a stiff north breeze. Forecast now shows a high today at 59°, back into the 70's tomorrow. Mother Nature chose to ignore the NWS regarding heavy thunderstorms and tornadoes last night, at least here. I didn't even receive 0.1" of rain in the gauge, although there was a significant isolated hailstorm about 30 miles south in Justin TX. We'll have a couple of cool nights coming, but after today the days will be pleasant. Of course to some here, a high of 59° might be considered pleasant.

Forum is running well for me this morning, I am finally getting caught up on some other threads and posts. Fingers crossed.

Household chores abound today, the delayed bed linen washing (not home Sunday, no water yesterday); empty the dishwasher that I ran last night, I need to clean at least some wood ashes out of the heater since I'll need a fire later today; and most likely running the vacuum since the wet grass clippings from yesterday will stick to my shoes and be tracked in!:( Oh! I need to stash the emergency water jug again. Yesterday in addition to mowing and breaking the water main, I set up the new air fryer to replace the old one. The upper heating element quit working in the old one and like most small appliances these days, it was cheaper to get a new one than to attempt a repair.

I was out in the train shed yesterday, but mostly running trains again since I missed a day out there Sunday. Since I still have the water pan out for decaling, I did continue along those lines. There are 8 different graffiti decals in the Blair Line package and I might as well use them all while I am in that groove. I started with this GN car that is just too shiny to be realistic.
IMG_1516.JPG

From RR Pictures Archive, this is what most looked like in my era.
1712066782346.png

I most likely won't get it quite as dirty/rusted as this one, but it gives me an idea.
Another one that I started is this one.
IMG_1517.JPG

IMG_1528.JPG

Then I started another one. This one is a gondola.
IMG_1527.JPG

This is different from most that I do in two respects, First, the decal is 3.5" long and secondly I am doing it on a rib-sided car instead of a smooth sided one. But I have had success on the previous two cars in getting the decals to conform to the bottom door rail, so I figured what the heck. The SP car is from Details West, while the other two are Athearn RTR from the Roundhouse tooling that they acquired.
These three will all be getting some weathering as that is done at the bench while I continue to do other projects on the layout.

Sherrel - Have a safe trip. Good luck with the treatments.
Snowman - I stopped after the third jab, mainly because I just didn't think that it was necessarily doing any good. I still haven't gotten the China virus even though I am in four of the so called "high-risk" groups. Damn! I don't even remember what the four groups are anymore! Main reason for getting any to begin with was that my supplemental insurance provider was going to raise my premiums if I didn't.
Patrick - Dry ink in the printing heads was my biggest problem with my Epson. Cleaning the print heads 4-5 times before every use was a real hassle.
David - Girlie talk is pretty much nothing all of the time.
Mike - While I am not strictly anti-vaccine, I have never gotten a flu shot in all of my 72 years. I have never gotten the flu either. I do get Tetanus and Pneumonia shots.
My guess is that the water temperature in the Gulf is still a bit on the chilly side.
Chad -
Yes a Crock Pot is a brand of slow cooker. Kind of like all tissues are now Kleenex...
Ironically the brand of slow cooker that I have the cracked liner in is exactly that, Crock Pot. So whichever term that I use is correct!

Marvin Gaye would have been 85 today had it not been for his unfortunate demise.

Everyone have a great day.

Well howdy there internet peeps, It's Troy again

Back from the convention full of people.

I'm done peopling for a few days. Had an invitation to Lunch from someone I met there, and I had to put if off for a week. I'm peopled out. Will resume peopling next week.

And in other news, the hard drive crash and death of the laptop is still sending ripples through my world.

punkin laptop fire.jpg

I'm trying to upload printable files to a book printer based in the UK (with a partner in the US) to cover my three biggest markets (US, UK, EU)... and ...

I didn't have back ups current of all my book files. Of course, the best selling starter one of series one, is missing.

So I have to work on importing the PDF of it, saved on one of the various print services I use, and go chapter by chapter to import it into my main writing software. Then I have to clean up all of the page numbers, and title/author name from the top of the pages. I don't need those in the master file.

Then I have to clean up the line formatting, and end of line hyphenated words. Most of the text reflows, but if it had a word get hyphenated, then there are several lines to manually clean up.

Annoying. But my own fault for not making sure my backups were up to date. Yes, I know about time machine. My preference is to back up to drop box, and thumb drives. I do that every time I write a chapter. But, the old books fell through the cracks.

Time to crack on with the cut and paste. I've got some grandmum beta readers already signed up search for any formatting errors I miss today.

Morning folks

41F, sunshine, and a forecast high of 60. Short for a fine spring day in the northern Rockies. There are a few harbingers of the spring wild flower phenology parade making an appearance. I'm going to make a sortie this afternoon with the canines. I need the exercise.

Looks like I can relax, at least for the moment. Things are running nice and fast. Occasionally there's a second or two lag in loading ads, but I don't really care about that. It's the main content that I'm concerned about, and it's coming up nice and quick.

Good morning. so Central Wisconsin is entering the 2nd 12 hours of the 24 hour rain event. Then after that stops and the temperatures drop “depending” where we are, we are scheduled for 3-6” of snow. More northern Wisconsin and east might get 12”. I haven’t put the snow fighting equipment away for a reason…

We are going to head out to vote. I don’t really care who you vote for, just go vote if this is a day for you to do so.

Have a wonderful day
Tom- Flakes are currently flying in the Hub City. The prediction is for 3-6 inches of the white stuff by morning commute.

Good morning, all! A very cloudy and humid day here in Houston. Starting temp is 70. Grocery shopping is on today's agenda. Not sure if trains will see any action today.
We took a short drive Sunday and found a few places with blue bonnets and Indian Paintbrush. Nothing like what you see in the Hill country, but pretty just the same.

Bob - By Jove, I think you've got IT!
Willie - Water temp is 67.
Bill - Great photo
JazA - With all those clothes on you'd be hard pressed to swing a golf club. On the plus side, if you fell down you wouldn't get hurt, minus side, you probably couldn't get up.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Back around 2019 I think my kids and wife did a "swim with dolphins" activity in Japan. It was kind of interesting. I didn't get in but the kids did and the wife and her sister did as well. I only have video of them "riding" with the dolphin grabbing their dorsal fin. But here are some shots of them in the water getting to know them before the actual "swimming with dolphins" turn came up to go around the tank area.

IMG_1307.jpegIMG_1298.jpegIMG_1293.jpegIMG_1317.jpeg

Last edited:
Good morning, all! A very cloudy and humid day here in Houston. Starting temp is 70. Grocery shopping is on today's agenda. Not sure if trains will see any action today.
We took a short drive Sunday and found a few places with blue bonnets and Indian Paintbrush. Nothing like what you see in the Hill country, but pretty just the same.

Bob - By Jove, I think you've got IT!
Willie - Water temp is 67.
Bill - Great photo
JazA - With all those clothes on you'd be hard pressed to swing a golf club. On the plus side, if you fell down you wouldn't get hurt, minus side, you probably couldn't get up.

STAY SAFE
LATER
Lol I can walk several miles if push come to shove AND carry a rucksack, but yes hopefully falling over I will roll first🧍🏽I have like thirteen pockets so I can pick away the gloves and bits and pieces phone hand warmer hot drink…would I rather be sat in a warm car yeah but sometimes not possible I wonder when we’ll get flying cars brooom brooom or will it be wacky wacky wacka

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 65F with a hazy sky. After breakfast I did a couple of chores then headed to the train room. I started painting the different parts of the kit. I figure I have 2 more days of painting before I can start assembly. Tomorrow morning, I have a dental cleaning to do.

Willie- Good news about the water. They look like an interesting couple. Nice decaling job.

Swal- I think it's mainly due to the significant elevation change and weight that they are pulling.

Bill- Interesting motor.

Todd- Nice photo.

Patrick- What's the name of the chain?

Mike- Watch out for rip currents if you swim.

Troy- Good luck with your files.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back