Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Our courses in So. Central Wisconsin seem to be all open. I have been hitting balls every other day in the simulator and a couple hours per week with 3 friends at a Top Golf place. I’m ready to play
Tom everyday I've played this year has been on a cold windy day. I'm tired of it. This week is no different. Cold all week. I would like to play on a warm no wind day once.
Swal

Good morning again

I almost forgot my little April Fool, Layla,s birthday is today. 1year old!
IMG_1406.jpeg

Good morning. Watch says 33F. Probably a degree or two colder where I'm at. Some days it gets down to freezing over night and other days its in the 40s over night.

Easter was overcast and drizzly. We had a nice, mostly music based, service at church. I tried to take a nap afterwards, but as I drifted off my mom called to arrange the time for us to come and after that I couldn't fall back asleep. So I got up, ate some nuts and blueberries and soem chocolate for lunch and listened/watched a podcast with the wife. Our usual Sunday afternoon activity.

We went to my mom's. Smallest group I remember having for Easter in a while. With my son gone (currently temporarily in Portland OR while he awaits his visa for Japan), it was just me, the wife, daughter, and my mom. My niece, who lives with my mom, was at work at the care center, and my other niece, who is temporarily living in the area while she does a short stint on an intern program [she is becoming a physical therapist] got some free ski passes and was not there. Some times my mom invites one of her brothers, and sometimes one or two other siblings and their spouses and sometimes some of their (siblings) kids and stuff to these holiday activities. We had a nice meal with ham, "funeral potatoes", various vegetables, etc. And banana splits for desert. Didn't help with the diet. The potatoes were the best part with the ice cream a close second. Not doing my health and weight efforts any favors.

House wise we've been painting as I can get to it. Most days an hour or two or three after the day job. We're mostly done. A small section in the big vaulted room (over the stairs) plus a small bit in the master bath. some walk in closets (where I'm waiting to see how how much of the different paints we have left to see which ones to use), and the secondary bathroom (non master bathroom). And my daughter's room. I'm paying a painter to paint my daughter's rom. The ceiling is between 20 and 22 feet high and I don't want to get up on a scaffold. The ceiling is already painted and the room primed. My wife has a friend at work whose husband is a commercial painter and he said he'd do it for $500 with my paint. DEAL.

Saturday I cut in the wall/ceiling line in all the upstairs bonus rooms. Just the outside wall part of the bonus space and the downstairs bedrooms left to cut in.

I paid an expensive electrician a week ago to hook up the car charger, cooktop, cut in the wiring for the ovens, and anything else that is greater than 120V. So the cooktop is working and I boiled the first water. The induction on plower boostw as fast for a small saucepan of water, A lot faster than our current resistive heat electric stove.

I have a friend's son who is an apprentice electrician coming to help do a few things like cut in wall sconce boxes and since he is not charging a lot probably help me hook up switches and outlets. Stuff I could do but he saves me time for not a lot of money. It's one of those cash at the end of the day deals and technically "my work".

My nephew-in-law is coming down for a few days supposedly and I'm going to get him to do the minimal amount of tile we have in the wet room "japanese bath" and help with leveling (with self-leveling compound) the gypcrete where it isn't level due to small leaks when they poured it and a couple cabinets and stuff. Try to get a ton of stuff done so I can start with the LVP flooring. He is a small time contractor up in Wyoming and was going to come down a couple weeks ago but the U-joint on one of his trucks blew out on the interstate when one of his guys was driving it so he couldn't comes down as he had to take his guys to the job their working on as well as get the part and fix it. he has done a lot of stuff over the past 2 years, now and then. He doesn't get a lot of chance to come down but was down in the first half of February when we started painting.

Enough rambling. Two days of sun and the rest rain is the forecast this week, high 50s and low 60s most days. Maybe a day or two of high 40s.

Here is from the train room bonus room above the garage where my mom and daughter painted the lower walls last week and I did the uipper parts and did the wall/ceiling edge in...

IMG_4752.jpegIMG_4751.jpeg

A question for the computer savvy among us. My Epson all in one is dying, even when it prints the print is smudged in spots, or it only prints the bottom half of each line of print. I've cleaned it, re-aligned print heads, cleaned nozzles til I'm blue in the face. I'm tired of inkjets, I want a laser. We have an HP laser at work that is awesome, but huge. Any recommendations on a good laser home printer. I really don't need an all in one, just a printer.

thoughts??

A question for the computer savvy among us. My Epson all in one is dying, even when it prints the print is smudged in spots, or it only prints the bottom half of each line of print. I've cleaned it, re-aligned print heads, cleaned nozzles til I'm blue in the face. I'm tired of inkjets, I want a laser. We have an HP laser at work that is awesome, but huge. Any recommendations on a good laser home printer. I really don't need an all in one, just a printer.

thoughts??
My printers are all old and I don't know if this is true with lasers (for homes) but I've been reading about HP going to a subscription based service for their printers. I'd avoid HP as they seem to be wanting to make their printers subscription based and we don't want to encourage that.

I have an old HP 2100tn and it works great after 20+ years and a Minolta color which works fine as well. I bought another smaller home HP back in the late 200x and it only lasted a few years before it broke.

thoughts??
I'm not really computer-savvy, but my Epson All-in-One was a piece of crap. I have since purchased a Canon MF654Cdw laser-jet for about $300, upon recommendation of both my SIL and grandson who are both much more tech oriented. It has worked well so far, but I have only printed maybe 40 pages so far. The replacement ink cartridges cost almost as much as the printer itself, but are supposed to last for 800-1000 pages. Prior to the Epson, I always got HP inkjets that always seemed to work well, as long as you used their brand of ink cartridges. I just chose to go with laser-jet this time.

Hello again,

Karl: The Brother line has impressed me here at the city. Fairly inexpensive and work well for what they are. We have them as small department network printers, and then we use reman'ed toner....😒. For me the Epson's always dried the ink in the heads where they can't be cleaned properly.

Last edited:

thoughts??
HP makes good printers, though their shady way of forcing you to buy supplies from them only, would make me think about that before committing.
I have a base-model Canon printer/scanner/copier that does not have wireless capability. It is simple, cheap, and reliable so far. I paid a whopping $42 for it from Wally World.

Good afternoon all. Dawn's college and uni friend , Hazel has arrived. I have known her nearly as long as I have known Dawn. Tea and cake has been had, now I have been 'abandoned'. Not really; it is 'girl talk' time. Hazel is now an established authoress.

School Careers Officers. Hazel's story and others reminds me how S. C. Os. are a waste of time.
Hazel always wanted to be an authoress, but was 'talked out' of it as 'not a proper career'. After several years of talking and encouraging her to write she took the plunge and is, as said, established as a writer.

Stephen Payne, the designer of RMS Queen Mary2 told me the story on Saturday. From being a boy of eight years of age he wanted to be a Naval Architect. The S.C.O. talked him out of it as there was no future in Naval Architecture and Stephen should study Chemistry; which he did. An old teacher of his, who knew Stephen really wanted to be in N. A. told him to follow his dream. As they say, the rest is history.

Karl: We got rid of ALL the inkjets a few years ago as it became cheaper to just go and buy a new one rather than cartridges. I do not like that prospect as ya end up setting up a new printer every year or so. ( we don't print that much on any given day, but there are times ). Have a few lasers: HP, Brother and a weird Chinese one. Two colors ( HP M281fdw and Brother; model I forget right now ), and 3 black only: HP hl2340dn, Brother TN730 with the Chinese Pantiem something. Wife got the HP and it is an all in one thing - print/scan/fax ... you know the drill. The HL2340 is the oldest of the bunch; think I got that in the late 90's. Have put in fuser and all the paper path rollers once. Wife's HP is also wifi of which we do not use. The Pantiem and TN730 are wifi only and uses our Gig wireless router. Needed to go to that for the multiple TV's around the house.

Anyway, both of the color printers have the biggest footprint as they need more room for cartridges. Not a big deal where we have them so planning is a must. Think that she paid around $350 for the HP Color, the Brother was purchased 10 years ago for about the same. In any event, you will like the lasers as the 1st sheet comes out in less than 5 seconds AND the ink does not run, or smudge like a Inkjet even if it gets wet. You can also get 'Ghost White' toner for doing white decals, if that matters. Note that the cartridges shipped with most printers now are not the same as ones you order - less toner to get you to buy their toner, I guess. I use DoorStepInk as they send a box for the used cart's and give you credit for that.

Ok, so I lied - I do have an Inkjet - HP750C plotter

The forum has slowed back down again. This has got to be frustrating for Bob. I do appreciated all the work he is doing. When it’s running right, it’s really flying…

The trees in So. Central Wisconsin are limbering up getting ready to let the top of the tree touch the ground. At 8 this morning the winds were at a steady 8mph. At 11:30 thery are running at 16 with gusts around 30. The predicted afternoon into tomorrow rains seem to be approaching per the WeatherChannel radar

No modeling desire so far today.

Terry and 2 friends headed to the airport almost 1 hour ago.

If it wasn’t going to storm this afternoon I might have road tripped to Hiawatha Hobbies
IMG_5104.png
Enjoy your afternoon or evening

Well, Hazel has left and going home. (see post 35). Dawn and Hazel lived two hundred plus miles away, but met in college and university. Now they are less than 40 miles apart, so see each other fairly often. Funny how when I ask Dawn was anything said during their girly talk and the reply is 'Nothing'. Apparently what 'girls talk about' stays 'girls talk about'.
It was nice to see her again.

An easy dinner to cook tonight. Fish and chips (fries) with mushy peas.

Maybe back later.

I got the shot because of my wife
I've Heard many people say that.

My DR. pushed hard for me to get it.

I sat this round out. Didn't even get the flu this year.
I got it because of my wife being in and out of the hospital for 2 years. The hospital wanted proof of our covid19 shots. My doctor told me the shot didn't work and there was a 15 percent chance it did harm. I wasn't in any risk group. 5 of my golf friends got covid and where mildly sick for 3 days and that was it. My best friend who I went into the Marine Corps with never got a shot and never got covid. When you're in the Marine Corps you do what your told but I got out in 1967 making all my own decisions from then on except for that one.
Swal

Last edited:

Back