Running Bear's April 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening gang and those with newborn kittens.

Been a busy day, finally got all SWMBOs stuff off the trailer so I can go to HD tomorrow and get mulch (postponed from today), added an extra board to the bottom of the fence so the French Bulldog granddog can be secured inside the back yard on visits. It made it to 90 ° this afternoon, I was a sweatin! Also got 3 loads of laundry washed, so SWMBO is having a folding party right now. Tomorrow HD, then cutting the grass before the p.m. thunderstorms hit.

The kid came home from college for the weekend (the A/c broke in his dorm) So I will get some assistance with the yard tomorrow, and also with moving my club modules across the basement so more benchwork can be created.

Tony, I keep checking our basement pit where the woodstove chimney exit the basement. 2 years ago at the peak of Covid one of the neighborhood ferels deposited 5 kittens in the "pit" and we were suddenly parents. 2 weeks of round the clock bottle feedings, the weaning and we found good homes for all. The dogs and our cat took it all in stride. Like you, I couldn't see the alone out there.
image_6483441 (1).JPG
image_6483441.JPG

This picture of one of the kittens and our late dog Bud always has be a favorite of mine.
The smaller of the 2 black kittens now lives next door to us. We get updates occasionally on the rest, all doing great!

11949466_987529291298054_4491932860195022651_n.jpg

Thinking of selling all my HO stuff for something bigger, if I can get SWMBO to go along with it.

And getting a quick resolution to a problem

I am with you as well @Smudge617 although I have what I call an Internet Account that is completely separate to my main account. When I need to buy something or pay a bill on line, I transfer the money from the main account into the Internet Account and all is good. Despite that, I also use Pay Pal and have never had an issue getting a refund from them when things haven't gone quite to plan, which hasn't been often :)

Okay, so how many do you want ? I am having a Special this week, 3 for the price of 1 :p:D

Several years ago I fell for a scam. I think it was on eBay. For a piece of camera equipment IIRC. Some sort of accessory. Priced just right so you’d think you’d gotten a good deal but the price was not really out of whack to clue you in that it was a scam.

paid using PayPal. The seller never really shipped and disappeared and stopped answering emails etc. I later learned it was a scam. PayPal wouldn’t refund me. IIRC they said the seller showed proof it had shipped and been delivered. Fake tracking or something. Since I had used a CC with PayPal I just complained to the credit card company and they did a chargeback to Paypal. PayPal didn’t like that and swore up and down that I’d lose my PP privs etc if I didn’t rescind it but in the end nothing happened to me on the PP side.

I tend to only use PayPal at places I have to (lots of eBay sellers want PP and for some reason eBay’s own system had problems with my virtual cards issued on my account by the card bank), more or less, and occasionally on international purchases from real stores (yes train stuff) where the merchant’s credit card system and my bank that issues my card can’t agree and there is a decline somewhere that we can’t resolve (lots of fingers pointing). This has happened a few times so I just end up paying with PayPal. (Specifically with Modellbahn Lippe and one other bender in Europe ).

Yeah - Japan loves cats for some reason. There is one Restaurant there that has a Model Railway built into it. During this covid rubbish they took in stray cats who have now stayed and live in the restaurant - not my idea of hygienic however, play with the trains and generally entertain the customers :)

these types of cafes generally have a cover charge or per hour charge youless you spend a certain amount on food. We saw one in Tokyo (didn’t go in) that wasn’t cats but some sort of exotic animal on our last trip. In a shopping zone near Asakusa.

Feeling Guilty?:D:p:eek:o_O Not for nothing, George, I gave up on the Yankees, around the time they moved to the new Yankee Stadium.
Boris I did not like the new Stadium at all. Going to baseball games has become too expensive. Two seat $200.00 Parking $35.00. My trip to the concession stand was shocking. I ordered 2 hotdogs and 1 drink being my wife had brough water. I gave the attendant $20.00 waiting for my change. I said, you going to give me my change or not? He said you owe $2.00 more dollars. $22.00 for 2 hotdogs and a soft drink.
Swal

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Rainy start to the weekend. Hopefully I can get some projects or rather a project going. Nothing planned so far for the day on the honey do list. Then again that could always change without notice. Nothing new to report on just figured I'd stop by real quick. I'll stop in again when I get a chance.

The 2023 Indian Premier League is available to stream for FREE via Jio Cinema in India. It's DAZN and Sky Sports in the UK, Kayo in Australia, and Willow in the US. Use a VPN to watch your local IPL live stream from anywhere.

Thanks SMudge, I'll take a look and see if I can find it - now all I need to do is find the ODI and Test Matches - mind you, if I can - you wont get me out from infront of the TV for awhile - the Cricket and F! :D :D :D

Hmmmm... I may have a stupid idea for my layout to get it to a double-deck.

Troy's Layout Lower.jpeg

Green line would be a flat loop line that I'd add spurs from to service various towns. The eventual plan would be to run a single line either under the layout, or off the right end, curving under the Electrical Panel Box, and then have it spread to a yard, keeping an aisle for access to the panel.

This is a proof of concept sketch, nowhere close to a final design. The purple line may weave through a few scenes to make visual separations between them.

The pink/purple line would be a 4% grade to get elevation on the layout, then circle around a mountain, and take off about 8 or so inches above the layout. If I continue the incline with cookie-cutter ply attached to backdrops brackets, I can gain another 10 inches by doubling back towards the Right end of the dogbone. A false backdrop flap could hide the second half of the climb from the mountain to the upper deck.

I know I've seen that method of long incline, but can't remember if it was in a magazine, or on a youtube layout tour?? Anyone remember?

Caveats: Yes, I know 4% is a steep grade. But I envision the upper deck with smaller curve radii than the lower deck which has 18" radius throughout. So smaller train length to do the back and forth between levels would need to happen anyway.

Now, I just need to figure out how to make the lower level more interesting. My main goal is building scenes, with a small ability for one-man operation.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

We upgraded our 2004 Suburban with a 2019 Pathfinder. We need this to pull our little camper seen in the background. Camping season is upon us. This should take me through a few years of retirement quite nicely.View attachment 167015
The Pathfinder is a good car. Its CVT transmission is about the only "real" concern. The main issue is failure from it overheating, and many people get aftermarket coolers installed to prevent it. Otherwise, an extended warranty for the drive train would be a good idea.
BTW, I was an employee of the R/D dept for a time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back