Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 63° with clear skies overhead, cloudy to the east. Expecting mid-80's again today, and then a cool front tonight will keep tomorrow's temperature around 76°. A return to 80's on Monday. Minor chance of rain Tuesday but still quite warm. Lots of outdoor chores yesterday morning along with my daily one mile walk.

I'll try some of those Belgian Waffles this morning Flo. And I'll take a side of Taylor Ham to go with them.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the layout; Jerome, Patrick, Louis, Chet, Sherrel, Phil, Garry, Greg, Bob, Chad, Paul, Joe, James, Curt, Tom, Ken, Rick. Always appreciated.

Things are coming to a conclusion with this portion of the layout cleaning and tour from the train shed. I actually completed the cleaning of everything but the structures about a week and a half ago. We're ending up where I just finished a scenery project last month.
04-22-20 007.JPG

The tannery in the upper right corner is just some DPM modular walls, across the road is the Bar Mills kit of Dolly's Confectionery. Across from McSoreley's is a scrap metal yard that is yet unfinished. Looks like I forgot to move McSoreley's patrons back inside before taking the picture.
04-22-20 008.JPG

There's still a bit of detailing left to do at the Prairie Star Milling Company site. That's a Walther's kit if I didn't identify it before. Then of course, is the Antiques dealer in the blue structure. That area with all of the travel trailers will become a dealership for them, maybe, that's still undecided.
Meanwhile over on the workbench, I made some improvements to the Seebold & Sons structure. Since it has interior lights, and the wire needs to be threaded back through the layout, I decided to upgrade it a bit prior to re-planting it on the layout. Picture was taken in my "posing location" as the lighting is better there.
04-24-20 001.JPG

Readily apparent is the weathering of the rooftop sign. By the way, this Campbell kit was interesting to put together. Walls and roof are cardstock, loading dock and foundation walls are wood. I had to cut and glue over 300 pieces of corrugated metal siding to the walls and roof. I could have just glued sheets of it, but I was more interested in making it look real. Inside but invisible are some rather detailed wooden rafters.
Inside of the open door on the right, I added an air compressor, a couple of homemade stacks of lumber and a scrap barrel outside.
04-24-20 002.JPG

The foreman wondering what happened and Seth to the rescue.
04-24-20 003.JPG

Note also that after another 30 minutes of searching, I finally found the package of forklifts that I began looking for on Wednesday, ironically in a box clearly labeled "Vehicles"! o_O
Around front, Jesse is taking a break while Lance is working.
04-24-20 004.JPG

Looks like a truck just delivered a couple of boxes of nails.

Garry - Happy belated Birthday to Shelly. Speaking of pick-up food, I have accumulated quite a collection of plastic cutlery from our recent "nights out".
It is interesting how many detail parts came with some of those old LifeLike kits, albeit some of it is a bit out of scale. Other than the soda machine and figures, everything on the loading dock came with the kit.
I have always liked the building materials "row" on your layout.
Mikey - My experience with Blacken It are good. It chemically etches the metal so it doesn't rub off.

Today is National Arbor Day, so go and plant a tree. It's also National Pigs in a Blanket Day to give you something to feast on.

Everybody have a great day, and an awesome weekend if you don't come aboard tomorrow.

Good morning y'all. Yesterday's gloom is replaced by this mornings optimism. Have a great day.
View attachment 47213
BS6a on Delaware Ave in Philadelphia. Most likely, the Shack (Shackamaxon St.) job at the Sugar Refinery.
I can't tell you how happy I am to hear of your optimism!

I count my nearly undying optimism as one of my greatest blessings.

And thank you for all the great photos you share!

That reminds me, have you signed up for the other forum
RailroadForums.com - Railroad Discussion Forum and Photo Gallery
railroadforums.com
railroadforums.com

As it is about the real railroads you would be a great asset as a member!

Good morning all,

Cloudy and 57* going for a rainy high of 65* later today.

Got the mower back Wednesday night, got the front mowed and started the back when she quit again. This time the wheels are locked up, so I gotta call the mower shop when they open this morning. Not sure why it just stopped. Engine is fine however. Wife asked what we paid for it all those years ago and it was about $1700. A new similar one at HD or Lowes is $1800-1900. May just be time to give it up and push mow again, which I did to finish.

Patrick, the main reason I use an electric push mover is due to it's reliability. Never fails to start and maintenance is not much more than keeping it clean and sharpening the blade occasionally. Not to mention I need all the motivation I can get to get off my ass.

Good morning Everybody!

Lazy day yesterday for the most part. I did enjoy my time with my Lionel EM-1. I still have more Legacy and TMCC locomotives to test, but I'm not motivated to go up the stairs into my playpen to get more right now.

My beagles are usually oblivious to my trains, but the whistle on the EM-1 got their attention. I have the boxes from the locomotives I have already tested stacked up in the middle of the 9'x7' oval track on the floor. I waited until the EM-1 was against the wall and out of sight behind the boxes before I sounded the whistle.

The sound of the loud whaling whistle woke them both and got them up to investigate. I wish I had taken a picture of them. Ears perked up, tails pointing straight out, as if they were hunting, one at each end of the track looking to see what all the sound was. They both watched it go by and then returned to their naps. One on the couch, the other in my wife's recliner, but this time both were facing the track.

My supplies from home depot are supposed to arrive today. I guess it's time to get back to my to do list.

Have a great day Everybody!

Got the mower back Wednesday night, got the front mowed and started the back when she quit again. This time the wheels are locked up, so I gotta call the mower shop when they open this morning. Not sure why it just stopped. Engine is fine however. Wife asked what we paid for it all those years ago and it was about $1700. A new similar one at HD or Lowes is $1800-1900. May just be time to give it up and push mow again, which I did to finish.
I got a new lawn tractor in 2012, so either my wife or I could mow the lawn. We had, and still have, a perfectly good self-propelled, bagging, mulching, electric-start push mower that works fine. Last Summer, that tractor's engine blew up, with only 85 hours on it. I could have used the push mower, but my wife likes mowing the lawn, and has trouble walking. So, we got another, different brand riding tractor, with a different brand and type engine, so she could keep doing the lawn mowing. Now, she's on oxygen pretty much permanently, which is not conducive to doing a lot of outdoor stuff--like yard work. All this boils down to, if I knew what would happen in the following few months, I would have saved myself the $$$ for the tractor, and just kept the push mower. BTW, I bought the push mower in 2011, and it has 9 hours' use on it...

Mikey - My experience with Blacken It are good. It chemically etches the metal so it doesn't rub off.
Willie- I used a product several years ago that claimed to "age" metal and plastic that rubbed off if handled. So I tend to ask about other people's experience. Thanks for your thoughts!
Your sheet metal building looks like a test lab I worked in 50 years ago. It was consistently uncomfortable in summer and winter.

Last edited:
All,

The rider was bought so I wouldn't have to push due to the knee replacement. For the first year, I wasn't supposed to push and couldn't afford a lawn service and didn't want to depend on the availability of the kids coming over to mow it for me. Then I had revision surgery a year later and was told I wasn't even supposed to think about the push mower for 2 years. So anyway SWMBO doesn't like me to push it as I am then done for the remainder of the day as both knees swell up, but I do like to push as I think the yard looks better and I generally feel overall better once the knees quit hurting. Right now I'm just getting back into my summer activities, so that means getting back into a different shape....Remember round is shape! ;)

All,

The rider was bought so I wouldn't have to push due to the knee replacement. For the first year, I wasn't supposed to push and couldn't afford a lawn service and didn't want to depend on the availability of the kids coming over to mow it for me. Then I had revision surgery a year later and was told I wasn't even supposed to think about the push mower for 2 years. So anyway SWMBO doesn't like me to push it as I am then done for the remainder of the day as both knees swell up, but I do like to push as I think the yard looks better and I generally feel overall better once the knees quit hurting. Right now I'm just getting back into my summer activities, so that means getting back into a different shape....Remember round is shape! ;)
FWIW, I've also noticed our lawn looks better when using the push mower.
I've noticed on our lawn, it looks better using the current 42 inch mower, and looked very noticeably worse using a 46" mower, and even more so using a 48" loaner. If you go looking for a new one, I'd try to find a 42" model. At least on our yard, it seems like the sweet spot of riding mower sizes. The 36" and 38" didn't do much better, appearance-wise, and had much smaller, less-capable hardware making it go. I set the cruise control, and the 22 hp doesn't even break a sweat. Models would probably be personal preference, and what is available in your area. Most of them are similarly constructed, and many are even built in the same factory. The one I got was built in Tennessee.

FWIW, I've also noticed our lawn looks better when using the push mower.
I've noticed on our lawn, it looks better using the current 42 inch mower, and looked very noticeably worse using a 46" mower, and even more so using a 48" loaner. If you go looking for a new one, I'd try to find a 42" model. At least on our yard, it seems like the sweet spot of riding mower sizes. The 36" and 38" didn't do much better, appearance-wise, and had much smaller, less-capable hardware making it go. I set the cruise control, and the 22 hp doesn't even break a sweat. Models would probably be personal preference, and what is available in your area. Most of them are similarly constructed, and many are even built in the same factory. The one I got was built in Tennessee.

Yeah, mine has a 23 HP B&S engine which has been very dependable. I think age is catching up to part of this machine. And my push mower is a 21"...

When selecting a riding mower, a mower deck with wheels will provide a better, even cut.

I have a 46 inch cut MTD 14.5 hp (early cast iron model) with wheels and a cheaper Poulan 12 hp 40 inch cut with wheels. The MTD is used at the cabin primarily to cut and blow leaves into the wooded areas instead of raking. Lazy.

Greg

To our Muslim brothers and sisters' Ramadan Kareem.

If you think Lent is hard, try reading about Ramadan!

I actually feel guilty during Lent, I love seafood, where is the sacrifice in that?
That's one advantage to being an atheist: I don't have to feel guilty about anything. My SIL, otoh, was raised Irish-Catholic, and continually apologizes for everything.

The pandemic just got personal. My Cowboy shooting club cancelled its first meet, scheduled for next month. That may have been premature, since the governor just today lifted restrictions on outdoor events so long as social distancing is maintained. Oh well, this is the first time I've experienced a noticeable change to my normal routine. State shooting ranges should open in the next few days, so I'll have an outlet for my more violent tendencies.

Oh, and Ramadan mabarak!

Oh, it probably annoyed somebody, or multiple somebodies, but I didn't want that stuff hanging around. So I weeded out anything I could find. Might have missed something, but if so it wasn't intentional.

We now return you to our regular program, already in process.
I have no idea what you're talking about; must have missed the memo. However, if necessary, I volunteer to feel offended if it's necessary to maintain emotional balance.

That's one advantage to being an atheist: I don't have to feel guilty about anything. My SIL, otoh, was raised Irish-Catholic, and continually apologizes for everything.

The pandemic just got personal. My Cowboy shooting club cancelled its first meet, scheduled for next month. That may have been premature, since the governor just today lifted restrictions on outdoor events so long as social distancing is maintained. Oh well, this is the first time I've experienced a noticeable change to my normal routine. State shooting ranges should open in the next few days, so I'll have an outlet for my more violent tendencies.

Oh, and Ramadan mabarak!
Happy Ramadan to you my learned friend!

The sound of the loud whaling whistle woke them both and got them up to investigate. I wish I had taken a picture of them. Ears perked up, tails pointing straight out, as if they were hunting, one at each end of the track looking to see what all the sound was. They both watched it go by and then returned to their naps. One on the couch, the other in my wife's recliner, but this time both were facing the track.
I had to read this several times, all the while trying to fend off mental images of your dogs hunting Moby Dick, who was riding a flatcar past your house. It's been that kind of morning, and you're not helping.

A bit more pushing and prodding of the envelope, and straining of my computer's Gen 1, i3 CPU, I believe the conveyor that delivers the gravel to the hoppers is discernible at the bottom of the screen, with the boom accentuated by it's shadow. To it's right, there looks like a long one that brings it from the stockpile.

This view gives an idea of the size of the deposit they're working with.

The measure tool on Google says the current pit is just about 50 acres. Somewhere I have photos from the freeway of a train loading there.

The wye at Whitehall is the start of the branch to Alder. Here is the spot where the Alder branch and Milwaukee main line used to cross. Last time I was there the NP/MRL tracks were still in place to Twin Bridges. I didn't realize it had been removed.

King George III most certainly had some of both!

He was a tireless worker, an avid reader, a very intelligent, forward thinking man of science, exploration, advances in agriculture and much more!

In American history he is often portrayed as a tyrant. These newly released papers show it was not him, but rather parliament who was behind the tyranny and the cost of the French and Indian war. In fact his letters show he tried to reign parliament in. In one of his notes he lamented, wondering; why can't people put aside differences and do what is best for the common good?

Mad King, Good King George, Farmer George or which ever of his many names you want to call him. Turns out history has shed new light on who he really was.

King George III's birthday is June 4. The celebration on April 23, is celebrating St George, a soldier from the 3rd Century who is the patron saint of England. He's the one that "killed the dragon" and was martyred on April 23, 303.

On tap today for me kicking and screaming...Kidney stones delight! Ugh! Pumping liters of water into me.....listening to the Stones......wrapped heating pad around my left side and took 1000mg of acetaminophen.....if it don't pass in the next 6 hours I will move to something more potent. Mr. Jack Daniels straight up followed with more water. Daggum calcium deposits. Growing up in WI and becoming a cheese head has its price. I drank a gallon of milk a day when I was in my prime and have no idea how much cheese I had but at least the stones are not from sugar..... 😵

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear of your optimism!

Louis: I wrote that before I did anything this morning...since then we went to Stop & Shop for groceries and prescriptions. Stopped for gas first, at Wawa, regular is $1.99.9 / gal, then to the grocery. Found TP & Tissues., ground beef and Italian sausage. Other meats were either scarce or expensive.
In any event the trip was a complete success, and we were back home within 90 minutes. So in that regard, optimism set the day's tone.

That reminds me, have you signed up for the other forum
railroadforums.com
railroadforums.com

Louis: Somewhere, I have my log in and password for Bob's other forum. I guess my comfort zone is here, because I really don't go anywhere else, than the coffee shoppe. You might notice that the Coffee Shoppe is the only place I regularly participate in here, and while I follow the MRH forums, I rarely participate there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back