Running Bear’s May 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, evening there Internet Model RR people,

True to my word, I've finished of my first Union regiment of American Civil War soldiers. Each dude is about 12.5 mm toe to top of head (not counting hat)

Flocking was just achieved. Only two more regiments to do to get my first brigade together.
Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 8.20.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 8.20.13 PM.png

Howdy All!

I hope your Memorial Day Weekend is going well. I've been offline for about a month. Wife had surgery, running the granddaughter, travel starting to pick back up at work, all that stuff that screws up your modeling plans. O'Neill's is on pause, but all of the structures are done, and I'm at that point in the build where I have to prepare the diorama base, and begin placing them on it, and detailing everything. While things have been on hold on that project I did pick up a couple of long awaited models. First this steamer. Got to be the ugliest locomotive ever to set foot on SP rails! it's kind of like the Plecostomus. Anybody ever have one of those in an aquarium? Sucker is so ugly you can't stop looking at it! This model reminds me of that fish!
Westside B-1 - 1.JPG

Westside B1 - 2.JPG

Today my SP SW 1200 that I pre-ordered last year showed up. Pretty little thing. What you see and hear is right out of the box:

SW 1200-1.JPG

SW-1200-2.JPG

Sounds:

Sherrel- I think Patrick’s better half decided to hang onto him, because the warranty ran out long ago. :D
Terry- I have the holiday off, because it’s on a Monday. We’re closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas & Easter. We are required to work one of the other 4 holidays. I volunteered to work New Years Day, because the 3 “summer holidays” because they all fall on one of my days off. I work Tuesday-Saturday, Independence Day is on a Sunday this year

Good morning. Just coffee Flo. The wife was up early to get started of her trip to Las Vegas for the national bowling tournament. She did make breakfast before heading over to pick up her friend that will be her partner. I did opt out this year because the state of Nevada is requiring the people competing in the tournament to wear masks. I shit canned mine months ago. Opted out this year. Did get the lawn mowed and had to laugh at Molly. She followed me all around while mowing and ran through the discharge of grass looking like a green dachshund. Went through the wife's car and changed the oil yesterday for her trip.

TomO - Nice photo. I also like HGTV. My favorites are House Hunters and House Hunters International. Like the international because of all of the countries I managed to visit while in the Navy. I have seen the tiny house shows. They are interesting and innovative, but for the prices that I have seen for some of them, you could get a top notch 5th wheel a few years old with multiple slide outs for additional room.

Karl - Like those crappy cell phone photos. I use my cell phone for most of my layout photos. Thanks for posting them. Not going to get into the water issue.

Patrick - Congrats on the 38th anniversary.

Garry - Excellent photo.

Ken - You actually were able to contact a live breathing person at the IRS ??? Even though the contact seemed to be useless, you did accomplish something.

Willie - Interesting photos. Wish we had some time to see some of the attractions down there in Texas, but traveling with a couple of dogs will have to make the trip a quick one. The garden is looking good. I enjoy watching those crop dusters do their thing. Those pilots have to be crazy. I might be getting a hold of you about a route to Austin. Haven't been down there in quite a while.

Here are some archive photos. The first couple are for Jaz. Figures do make a difference.

View attachment 128576View attachment 128577View attachment 128578View attachment 128579View attachment 128580View attachment 128581View attachment 128582View attachment 128583View attachment 128584View attachment 128585

LATER
I totally love the railway gang,have never seen that depicted before,awesome

Well, evening there Internet Model RR people,

True to my word, I've finished of my first Union regiment of American Civil War soldiers. Each dude is about 12.5 mm toe to top of head (not counting hat)

Flocking was just achieved. Only two more regiments to do to get my first brigade together.
View attachment 128600View attachment 128601
Beautiful do you have a layout for them

The weather in the uk was a bust this year,really dry,really wet and cold - lost seeds I put out especially peas I think the slugs got pea soup,half the broad beans went west too,even spinach and radish barely broke ground,April was dry very dry and cold,then May was wet wet wet and amazingly we were glad to see it,so we’re farmers as they had been putting out water bowsers late April near us,the bees had a bad early start,only just looking to swarm now a month late,yesterday I put out sweet corn far too big but I could not put out earlier,a number of squash,2 butternut,3 nico round courgettes,4 collected courgette,courgettes already on plant,and like 50-80 beans - I buy mixed dried beans in the store and grow them so for a single packet I get masses,I still have hundreds to go out,usually we would not grow red kidney,pinto,black,haricot etc etc but i though hmmm less than 2 pounds for 500g I’ll have sone of that,did it 2 years ago not brilliant but ok last year I did well but did not pick until end of season this year I p,an to harvest regularly,cold weather plants mostly still alive this to regular watering but small because of cold and cloud,hopefully we will catch up,but we have managed to eat very little this year,although cherry tomatoes are coming through in the cobservatory,I’ll post pictures when I have something Hal as good as what is on show here but at present my efforts are nothing to shout home about,but I have hopes for the strawberry harvest.
I do loads of perennials too, asparagus, strawberries 9ok I refresh every 3 years) gooseberries,redcurrants,white currants,black currants,lovage,raspberry’s (dear eat the plants sighs) red sorrel - acquired taste and seedlings take over an area, sone spinach more biannual,New Zealand spinach,certain onion types, chives through self seeds,borage also self seeds...I think I am getting boring we have fruit trees a lot as well and sone nuts
7B9199CF-1E5F-46B7-B799-3A2AB4A2B709.jpeg
3CB21B0A-0F74-4F37-BBF2-63A2E0E28403.jpeg
F7008274-E914-44A2-BEC7-DB2FE2B341B6.jpeg
F91FC5DC-F9E8-4C20-B885-EE15F805A120.jpeg

asian pears one of two types these taste like alcohol when ripe
6A7C9196-7DC2-4311-B228-AA93B5FA01A2.jpeg

BEDB1C8B-AA47-4928-8927-6DF725EBC7F6.jpeg

red hazelnuts,although only red on tree,with 48 hours of being taken off they look like normal ones
seabuckthorne tart cost a fortune in Michelin restaurants,but the thornes are killers a d hard to harvest,good taste though
686F3FD8-1DFB-44CF-824A-057324780DEE.jpeg

B8027BCD-3447-432F-B68A-42EBAB279025.jpeg

medlars popular in the Middle Ages,you need a frost or for them to be very ripe and you spoon a brown mushy mess,unusual rather than connoisseur ok with icecream
4F30B4F3-3A72-4A21-BF28-250FD81597D9.jpeg

king James 1 mulberry,the fruit is also nice with icecream but needs to be eaten after picking does not store and really marks clothes,mulberry are used for silk production and he bought a kings ranome - but he got done thsee mulberries don’t have the silk worm, that’s a different mulberry,but I always go feast when they come out
831713E3-D370-474B-8A2F-BFE68F59D626.jpeg

I have tried citrus fruit several times I grew like 30 from seed got them to a big size upto a dustbin, but 2 really cold winter killed them all,and the soil costs gave up

Good morning. It’s cloudy and 50.

Yesterday I scored a “bargain”. A slightly used graphics processor for my computer for only slightly more than original MSRP. That is a bargain these days, when a new one can go for up to $3k, or nearly three times list price, due to complete unavailability. This particular one was a “take out” when the person selling it upgraded to a better one before the price and availability got stupid, and priced this one according to what he paid, not what he could scalp it for. It’s “worth it” only because now I can use my perfectly good, high-powered computer to do what I got it for, rather than struggling to watch Youtube videos.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 64°, maybe going up to 75° later today. Something about this global warming is not working here this year; we've been 10°-12° cooler than average for most of the past six weeks. OK for the garden, but I want to get into the pool! I am going to remove the cover today regardless; I haven't checked the water temperature in about 10 days, but with no sunlight to warm it up, it's most likely still in the upper 60's.
WARNING: Snake pictures ahead.
I am overstuffed on fajitas from the combo birthday/graduation party for my three grandkids yesterday, I need to walk early today. My SIL chose to buy to go in bulk rather than grilling himself, which saved Grandpa from having to slice everything. Both son in laws are good with grilling, but both are lousy carvers! They're what I call "hunk and chunk" carvers instead of slicers. Food still tastes just as good though.

Light breakfast this morning Flo, just a BLT on wheat toast.

Thanks to all who liked or commented on my various posts yesterday. There's over 50 and I can't list everyone individually, but thanks again.

I'll take a short break from the road trip pictures this morning. While I didn't make it out to the train shed yesterday, I did on Friday. I posted that I had a loose air brake reservoir on a boxcar, so I pulled it off to repair. During the course of repairing it, I noticed a Kadee coupler spring on the workbench. Sure enough it came from the same car. It took a little time to put it back on and glue it this time, but I didn't lose it. I have 100's more new ones, but I take it as a challenge to not lose one while replacing them. So while I had it off, I added some graffiti and light weathering to it.
IMG_6505.JPG

IMG_6506.JPG

IMG_6507.JPG
IMG_6508.JPG

IMG_6509.JPG
IMG_6510.JPG

Y'all never mind the clutter on the workbench.

Troy - I like the civil war figures. Did you ever finish the Ruskies?
Karl - Guess that it was time Murphy took a road trip from Terry's house. Sorry to read of the misfortunes, hopefully there is no damage.
Chet - I have been watching this particular crop-duster for nearly 40 years now. Same plane all that time. He's not as acrobatic as he was when he was younger; no more flying between fence tops and power lines! Watch for PM coming today.
Tom O - I do get occasional snakes but they generally avoid the garden. They're harmless snakes that we call "chicken snakes" or "rat snakes".
Look the other way Troy!
015.JPG

The last time that I saw "Sammy", he was about 8'. He does a good job at keeping the field rats at bay. In 40 years here, I have never seen a poisonous snake.
Here's a companion.
08-16-09 032.JPG

Jaz - I like your fruit pictures. Well done.

The Texas State Legislature passed a landmark bill (for Texans), this week. Alcohol retailers will now be allowed to sell beer and wine at 10:00 am on Sundays instead of waiting until noon. They are also allowing "to go" drinks at restaurants; both of which were temporarily allowed by a decree from the governor early in the pandemic lock down. For years, sports bars and other establishments have been skirting the law by serving drinks well before noon, especially before sporting events starting at noon; but not ringing up the tab until after noon. The law technically prohibited "selling".

Everybody have a great day, and an awesome rest of your weekend. Stay safe.

Morning all,

Coffee this morning...

Thanks for all the well wishes on the anniversary. I was on long enough yesterday to read, but not post.

Got the back door replaced on the boy's house, just front to go. Never seen a door just expanded foamed in place. I had to put a 2x4 and a 1x4 to shim the opening properly.

Still working from home as well, due to moving VM's to a new host. Will be sometime tomorrow before I actually go to the office for cleanup before everyone returns on Tuesday.

Got a birthday celebration later for the youngest granddaughter. She missed out on a first birthday party due to covid.

Good Morning!
An almost identical morning to yesterday, with blue sky at 42°F and the moon showing up in the same area as the sun rises. I didn't go out in my pj's for another photo.
Supposed to hit somewhere in the 70's today, which is about as warm as I want it to get. If it gets warmer than that, I need to retreat to shaded area's.

Willie - Thank you for the crop-duster photo. - I actually copied and tried to enlarge it so I could read the serial number on the side. Couldn't focus enough to read the serial, but, I did sleuth out what kind of plane that is. I believe it's an Air Tractor AT-301 like this one:
AirTractorAT-301_Airliners.Net.jpg

I really like airplanes as much as trains, and do considerable modeling in that sector of the hobby as well. I have a stash of about 300 model airplanes I've collected since I was a teen.
Today, a person can hardly afford to buy a new model, so I'm glad I started picking them up when they were cost effective. They give me something enjoyable to do as an old man.

Jaz avalley - Wow! Looks like you can grow a bountiful fruit-n-nut garden there in the UK. I would not have expected that. Always thought the UK was a cooler climate.

Alan - I also like the 'Plecostomus'; it's a lovely steamer. Can't say I'll ever get into the hobby enough myself to warrant the purchase of brass engines, though. I'm more like an arm-chair fiddler.

Troy - I like the union army figures. Well done! I suppose you must be into some sort of gaming.

Tom - Nice sunset photos the last couple of days. It looks like you must be into some fine weather where you are.

Thanks for the likes, everyone, on my post of yesterday!

Here's a found on the net photo that I find interesting. It's the Grand Trunk Railway locomotive No.209 inside a shop in Montreal, 1860. I thought the photograph with the period shop interior was kind of cool, so I saved it.
GrandTrunk No209_1860 Montreal.jpg

Anyway, time to get on with the day. Have a good one!

Good morning ..... I'll have coffee and pancakes with real butter and real maple syrup, please. Today, it is sunny and much cooler than normal here.

Thanks to all who liked and commented on my post with photo of my 2-10-2.

Alan ,,,,, The brass engine looks great and so does the SW1200.

WIllie ... Nice weathering of the BN boxcar. I noticed a water tower between your pain bottles looking like one that came with a Bachmann city building kit. ... Snakes. We also have rat snakes here. Black snakes are more common. For several years, we had a pair of black snakes with their snake hole under a corner of our driveway.. We named them Charles and Camilla. They kept unwanted small critters under control.

Guy .... 300 is a lot of model airplanes.

Everybody .... have a good Sunday.

Howdy All!

I hope your Memorial Day Weekend is going well. I've been offline for about a month. Wife had surgery, running the granddaughter, travel starting to pick back up at work, all that stuff that screws up your modeling plans. O'Neill's is on pause, but all of the structures are done, and I'm at that point in the build where I have to prepare the diorama base, and begin placing them on it, and detailing everything. While things have been on hold on that project I did pick up a couple of long awaited models. First this steamer. Got to be the ugliest locomotive ever to set foot on SP rails! it's kind of like the Plecostomus. Anybody ever have one of those in an aquarium? Sucker is so ugly you can't stop looking at it! This model reminds me of that fish!
View attachment 128605

View attachment 128606

Today my SP SW 1200 that I pre-ordered last year showed up. Pretty little thing. What you see and hear is right out of the box:

View attachment 128607

View attachment 128608

Sounds:

Lots of neat detail on that UGLY machine. YES, there is no other way to describe it.
UGLY fat can be removed! LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back