Running Bear’s August 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for them, Louis; They have had a rough time this year. I think the Padres might give them some competition?
MLB should have a playoff to see who is the team with the worst record?
The Padres are only 9 games under 500, the birds are 45 games under and the Tigers are 50 games under! The problem is the Padres had higher expectations and a much bigger payroll.

All in all I have enjoyed following the birds this year. They have had their moments and were at 500 for a 25 game stretch after the all-star break. The baby birds play hard every night, they screw up, but seldom make the same mistakes twice. I'd rather watch young guys working hard and learning than to watch millionaires that don't care. Win or lose, I back my birds and they are going in the right direction.

How do you like watching Manny? He has unbelievable talent, maybe the best I ever seen play, but if his head is not in the game he is a real piece of work. I was hoping he would have gone to New York. The New York fans would have tormented him unmercifully.

Morning All -- 71* heading towards 93* today - was 98* yesterday and the record was 107* in 2010.
Sure enjoyed the mostly mid to high 80's of last week.

Could not sleep - been up for 1.5 hours already - going to be a lonnggg day!

Did you get her a new pair of pants for her birthday? I think the ones she has have reached the end of their useful life.
Terry, no, I don't dare buy my any of my daughters clothes, unless I am trying to encourage donations to Goodwill. Gift cards are always a safe bet.

I tell her the same thing! I can't believe people actually buy half-worn and torn clothes!

She probably paid handsomely for those Terry!
Sometimes I want to just laugh at my "poor" little girls. Designer clothes, manicures, pedicures, hair stylists, gym memberships, personal trainers, new cars, boats and God knows what else. "Oh my poor little girls, that have it so hard" They have their packages delivered to my house, almost daily, daddy knows better, but I keep a straight face and listen.

Apparently that's considered fashionable. I've seen them on the rack in the store, and even seen some that were made to look that way with another "layer" under the worn and torn part.
Fashion? Fashion... I don't get it.

I still wear some clothes that I bought in the 90s and they still look far better than those pants. Even I would throw out clothes that look like that, long before they got that bad!

Speaking of packages, my daughters have their packages delivered to my house so that they don't get stolen from theirs. I don't have a house valued at upwards of a half a million, like they do. My daughters think I live in the ghetto, like they would know what the real ghetto was. I told my oldest daughter about a brand new house a mile+, south of me when she was looking for a house. She told me "dad, that's ghetto". New, 4 bedroom house with an attached 2 car garage, ghetto? So what it's not in a fancy zip code and over priced. It's the same zip code as my house!

Porch pirates go "shopping" in the high dollar neighborhoods. They think people don't steal from me because as my oldest daughter said "dad, you are a big, crazy old f'er, nobody steals from you"

Morning All -- 71* heading towards 93* today - was 98* yesterday and the record was 107* in 2010.
Sure enjoyed the mostly mid to high 80's of last week.

Could not sleep - been up for 1.5 hours already - going to be a lonnggg day!
A nap will be your friend and it's almost mandatory in your case today. Sleep is important, I hope you can get a nap.

Welcome to my world... Sometimes I'm up at 2:30 or so.
For me 2:30 is ok, I'm usually up by 4, but I go to bed at 8 or 9 at the latest. I can try to stay up later, but I fall asleep where ever I am sitting. If I keep moving or driving I'm fine, sit still at home, forget it.

I worked last night, got home at 8. Got my shower, had dinner and almost immediately after fell asleep. I woke up at 2:30, thank God for cable TV.

I feel for you, I have the luxury of taking a nap, but you are still working full time and have other even more important responsibilities.

62F at 5:30AM. Still 62F at 6:15AM. I went to bed around 11pm and woke up at 2:30am. :( Could not go back to sleep. I did doze a little towards the end. Had to get up at 5:30am as the wife is working a night shift and I need to get the kids to school (actually a before-school religion class my son is in). Drive is 30 min so we need to leave around 6:20am.

Luckily I work remotely so, at home, so I will grab a power nap later this morning.

Good Morning All. 79° and mostly clear. Another heat advisory today with a forecast of 101° and then fall arrives tomorrow with the forecast high no greater than 92° for the next ten days. Might even dip below 70° once or twice for the low. OK, that's fall weather for here!;)
Those apple fritters look really good this morning Francine, I'll take one with two eggs over easy and a handful of bacon.
I must be getting older because I don't remember what I did yesterday, but the house is clean and there were fresh sheets on the bed so I must have done something! I'll really be glad when my wife can resume some of the household chores...soon she says! Hint: I think that she is capable right now but is milking this surgery thing as much as possible.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding the latest Fresh Market pictures yesterday; Sherrel, Garry, Jerome, Phil, Louis, Justin, Tom, Chad.
As I mentioned, the back side may not be seen, although I did detail it. After placing it back on the layout, the back can be partially seen from one angle so all is not lost!
Speaking of detailing the backsides of structures, I know that there was a recent thread on that subject, I usually at least finish all of my structures off regardless of orientation on the layout. Especially interesting are the hydrocal structures from DowntownDeco. Here's a couple of examples that I did.
Front view.
08-25-19 002.JPG

Back view
08-25-19 003.JPG

The cement patches over the bricks and around the doors really add some character.
Here's another front view.
08-25-19 005.JPG

Rear view.
08-25-19 006.JPG

This one also has a visible side wall representing a bricked-over second floor door and a removed staircase.
08-25-19 004.JPG

I did spend a bit of time out in the train shed yesterday. I touched up some more detail parts on the workbench (some of which I'm not even going to use in the current area), and enhanced the ground foam and other scenery elements that I added over the last few weeks.

Phil - Thanks for the continuing updates on Curt.
Sherrel - Arlene has quit all of the prescription pain killers and is only taking Ibuprofen now, Today marks four weeks. We celebrated last night with a trip to Pelligrino's with a bottle of wine. That's a sure sign that the recovery is almost complete. She left the cane at home as well. She is still using the ice-water thingamajig for about an hour or two a day, and has been making daily visits to the pool. If Kate needs a replacement, she should go ahead and get it done sooner rather than later. Arlene is about five years late in getting it done. No sense living with the pain and lack of mobility. So far I have only had to spend about $20 for prescription co-pays and about $60 for ice. Thank you for your continued support and well wishes.
Mike - Thanks for the timely update on Tony. I sure have missed him since last year. His adventures in the various scales were always interesting.
Louis - Belated Birthday wishes for your Daughter.
While I am awake at 2:30 more often than I like, I usually get my first nap between 5:30am and 6:30am on those days. That's in addition to my regular nap after morning chores and lunch.

Speaking of AWOL, we haven't seen much of Karl lately. Isn't he getting married next month?
So today is National Dog Day. Treat your loving friend and companion to a hunk of sirloin today. Well, you could use a piece of bologna, I'm not sure that they care as long as it is "people-food".
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 72 and mostly cloudy out there.

Interesting weekend just past: Friday we celebrated our granddaughter's 3rd birthday - she's the one who loves the trains. That evening was spent at the inlaw's house where the party was hosted. Saturday we went to the local Farmer's Market, then to Lowe's to pick up some supplies for the wood shop, and then home. I spent most of the afternoon in the wood shop, making items for an upcoming craft fair. Wore myself out, actually - can't be related to age, can it?! Sunday we had everyone over for dinner, and was able to show everyone progress on the layout and in the wood shop. This morning, back at work!

Chessie, Patrick, Tom, Sherrel, Wheeler, Louis, Garry, Flip, Chad, Willie, Chet, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for your likes and comments on the hikers photo I posted Friday.
Chet - nice photos from your club layout.

Nothing to post today. Maybe later this week.
Have a good day everyone.

Baltimore Chapter, National Railway Historical Society
Another geared Climax locomotive may be running in southeast West Virginia very soon, this one on the steep grades of the Cass Scenic Railroad!
1566823382382.png

1566823403785.png

1566823420916.png

1566823435124.png

1566823451021.png

1566823463734.png

Inside the locomotive shop at the Cass Scenic Railroad some of the final pieces are going on the Climax locomotive which has been under restoration for nearly two decades. Today Ben, Dustin and Robert were installing sand lines which help with traction on the steep mountain grades. In the coming week the boiler jacket will be painted and soon a fire will be lit in the firebox for the first time in nearly 60 years!

Good morning all,

We are having mild weather-- temps in the 70's all week! Starting to feel like fall.

Willie-- very nice distress on the city shops

Garry-- the horse scene is alive! Well done

Louis-- interesting rebuild on the steam loco

Here are a couple shots from the train show;

This is the club layout in Askov, the host of the show:

IMG-0474.JPG

IMG-0476.JPG

The corn picking one is my favorite, nice hay baling in the background:

IMG-0477.JPG

Here is Beth and I with our table:

IMG-0484.JPG

The modules got a lot of attention, everyone very interested in the history and background information I brought.

more later, Dave

Good morning ...

Sherrel and Dave .... Thanks for commenting on my photo.

Also thanks to each of the 11 members who "liked" the picture.

Willie ..... The Downtown Deco buildings look great. .... You mentioned AWOL Coffee Shop members, and I have wondered why some members (Karl and others) have not posted lately. I hesitate to add names because I might inadvertently exclude somebody. I hope they return soon.

Louis .... Interesting photos in the shop of the Climax restoration project. Your daughter's jeans look like some being worn by one of our granddaughters. I wonder why ugly, ripped-up jeans are popular.

Dave .... Thanks for posting photos of the show. It is nice t see you and Beth.

Everybody ...... Have a nice day.

Good morning. A bit of a chilly start to the at 45 degrees. Had the fan going in the window about four feet from the bed. DSid NOT want to get up. It was nice to hunker down under the covers. Should be into the mid 70's by afternoon.

Has anyone heard from Joe
. I know he mentioned that he wasn't feeling well.

Ray - Glad you won the auction. The mobile home blocks the line of sight from the blacksmith shop, but the woman on the front porch of the mobile home is doing what she can to divert her mans attention. The guy on the caboose was hoping that they would be further away from the bushes.

thumbnail_20190825_141353.jpg thumbnail_20190825_142318.jpg

Terry - Nice looking NS unit. Sort of nasty to have the modeler drill the holes for the hand rails. Nice job. Can't believe haw well N scale runs today. They were crap whine I was in N scale in the 70's.

Garry - Those Burlington E units sure are sharp. If you get tired of them, let me know.

Louis - Nice shot of your daughter, but I think she can use a new set of britches. Really nice photos of the climax rebuild.

Willie
- You did a really nice job on the Downtown Deco buildings.

I did finally get some time to spend in the train room yesterday. Did a lot of switching. It's been so long since I ran trains, I had to do some track cleaning. Didn't take too long. Will probably head down there again this afternoon.

Here's an outbound train in the Logan Yard waiting for an inbound to arrive so it can leave.

thumbnail_20190824_171933.jpg

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back