rrack power thru your switchs

lmackattack

old school
track power thru your switch

What is you opinion on how to power a switch. im not talking about the motor that controls its movement. im talking about how to power the frog point rails etc. isolate the frog, etc..

what works best? whats the new standard?

this is just to learn what most are doing nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer DCC friendly switches and I have the Peco Insulfrogs. No need to cut gaps or anything, just install them and go.

I've had trouble with switches (Atlas) where the rails coming out of the frog were too close, and a misaligned wheel caught on both, shorted, heated, and melted something important. When I get around to rebuilding my layout, I won't be connecting these stub rails to power, just in case. I'm not going to run anything with a short enough wheelbase to have a problem with that.

Electrofrogs are a whole other problem, one which I don't really want to get into.

I use Peco electrofrogs. My solution is to use Caboose Ind. Ground throws number 220S (I think), they have the sliding contacts that will power the frog to the correct polarity.

Last edited by a moderator:
atlas is electrically perfect, but since its mechanicxal properties are IMHO badly lacking i'm not using these. peco insulfrog preferred. but i'm making sure to wire both routes separately as i don't want to rely on electrical connection of point rail .

i modified old shinohara turnout to "DCC friendly" but from now on i will stick to peco's insulfrogs.

frog with cut gaps and plastic fillers
DSC_8695-vi.jpg

rewired underside.
DSC_8694-vi.jpg

I use Peco electrofrogs. My solution is to use Caboose Ind. Ground throws number 220S (I think), they have the sliding contacts that will power the frog to the correct polarity.

Just correcting what I posted. I am no longer using the caboose throws. I am taking them off and bringing the turnouts back to stock set-up. I will insulate the rails leaving the frog with plastic insulated joiners and rely on the points to get power to the frogs. I already have feeders for every section of track so that will no be an issue.

Back