RR Signal placement

plasticman

Hi, I would like too start placing RR Signals on my layout. But I would like to know what goes where and how they are used. Anyone know any good websites out there? I just dont want put signals anywhere? Only because I do not have a clue. Thanks so much:rolleyes:

What kind of signals are you asking about. Block signals along the track? Dwarf signals for things like yards? Grade crossing signals? Train order signals at stations? Interlocking signals where two rail lines cross?

As you can see there are a lot of different types of signals and there are just about as many physically different signals. There's semaphores, searchlight, position, and color signals, just to name a few. How big a layout do you have? What era do you operate in? Do you want the signals to actually do something as trains approach and go by them or are they strictly decorative? Sorry to hit you with so many questions but, like Grandeman wrote, signals are one of the most potentially sophisticated parts of a model railroad.

The layout is small 2x4 (n scale) Year is late 1950's. I guess I am looking at all types of signaling. This layout is built to expand. So, everytype eventually will be used. Thanks for the responses:)

The first thing I'd look at would be installing block signals. Are you following a specific prototype of freelancing? If it's a specific prototype, you'll need to find block signals that match the prototype. If you're freelancing, it can be any kind of signal that appeals to you although even then, you should use the same type of signal for the whole railroad.

It sounds like you need to do some reading on the basics of signals and how railroads use signals. There's a good web site http://www.lundsten.dk/us_signaling/index.html that covers the basics of how signals are used and how they are installed on real railroads. There are are aslo books published about installing signals on model railroads, but I don't have my reference list handy. Like so much else in model railroading, you'll save yourself a lot of money and frustration by do your reasearch before you install anything.

Back