Ross Custom Switches with Atlas O track

gvtfan

Kid with trains
Anyone ever used their products? Anyone use them with Atlas O? Are they better for cost? Quality? Easier to use and install?

I have only ever used Ross Custom Switches. I use Gargraves flex track though and they are an exact match. You can use them with Atlas but you will have to get the Atlas to Gargraves transition rail joiners. I get all mine at AM Hobbies, Bob usually has them in stock, manual or with a DZ1000 switch machine.

I used Gargraves because I had a ton of it already, and Ross has the same tie dimensions and same rail as Gargraves. If you have Atlas already, stick with it.... I would! If you haven't bought anything yet, I would go with MTH RealTrax if I had to start from scratch. Looks better due to the lower profile rail and ties. Look at the MTH Real Trax....(NOT Scale Trax) absolutely the best looking and lowest profile. Go to ToyTrainsonTracks.com and look at Rich's layout, ABSOLUTELY PHENOMINAL HI-RAIL LAYOUT. I have both his DVD's and have looked at the RealTrax in person.

Not only that, but with Atlas and MTH RealTrax, you can run 2 rail cars and engines from MTH ;) I run some 2 rail cars on my Gargraves track but I have some issues over the Ross switches with the 2 rail wheels.

I have Atlas, so I'll stick to it. Also, I have Rich's first DVD, and he does not use real trax. Real trax is crap. Scale trax is nice stuff though, that is what he has. But from what I've seen and hear, Atlas is the most realistic and durable.

My mistake, I confused the Real Trax and Scale Trax. Smart choice though if you already have Atlas, and they have a lot more turnouts to choose from than ScaleTrax.

Back