Rheostat & Accessory Lighting

Jaytona

I need help figuring out a way to control a few different circuits using the same power supply.
I have a 3amp 13.5 volt dc power supply, I would like to use for accessory lighting only, I was hoping I could install something like a rheostat, or potentiometer on some of the circuits between the PS and the lights to be controlled, is this possible, and where would I find such an animal?
If I can use a potentiometer from radio shack, what size or specs should I need?

If this is not possible at all. Is there a way to drop the voltage on an individual circuit buy a few volts, like a resistor or something?

Thanks for any ideas
J

J., the easiest way to do this is to buy as many power packs as you need. With the switch to DCC, some nice DC power packs are available cheap on e-bay. The power pack already has the rheostat built in so you just dial up the brightness or voltage you want. I've got a big MRC power pack with all my lighting circuits connected to the 12 volt variable side of the power pack and it runs more than 100 bulbs with no problems. If you want individual areas controlled diffferently, just buy a few more power packs. It's cheap, easy, and will last most of your natural life. :)

I'll second Jim's recommendation. I recently purchased an old Bachmann power pack on eBay for under $10 including shipping. At any given time, there are dozens of cheap power packs on eBay.

- Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, for your suggestions guys!

The other question I had is how can I cut the voltage to one light in the circuit?
I have several lights on a circuit, in a few structures, how can I dim a set of them? I have one building with the lights that are too bright.

I think a resistor or something. These are 6 volt incandescent. I also have a circuit of LEDS with resistors so they can be powered by 12 volt DC, is there a way to dim these individually as well so several can remain on the same circuit?

Is there any written articles or books that will help me understand the usage of different resistors for cutting the voltage to individual lights?

Thanks again for all your in put.
J

There are several questions here. First, for incandescent bulbs, the easiest way to dim a series of bulbs is to wire them in parallel. Heres' a diagram of how you'd wire a set of bulbs:

draw_series_parallel_lighting.jpg

LED's are not going to be easy to dim individually if you want them on the same circuit. You would have them wired in series and then have a larger resistor for each LED you want to be dimmer. I find it's much easier to use transparent paint like Tamiya Blue and just tint the LED's I want to be dimmer. It gives the effect you want without any electrical complications.

For any model railraoder, one of the must have books is Basic Wiring for Model Railroaders. You can get it at many train shops or places like Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...e=380345&creativeASIN=0890243581&linkCode=asm). It walks you through most aspects of wiring without being too technical. It also has lots of pictures, which I need to learn something.

Back