revisiting my childhood

blue92rs

Cheaper than therapy!
Hello, I am new to the site and I have always loved model railroading. When I was 13 years old, I started collecting HO pieces to build a setup. Two years later we moved, then moved again. Everything was packed into boxes where it has stayed for the past 22 years... My son is two now and LOVES "choo choos" so I decided to pull everything out. To my delight, (and his:D) the Bachmann Reading 2000 steam locomotive ran (with some coaxing) but is VERY noisy. Especially at higher speed, almost a highpitched, grating, whine. I suppose it needs a good cleaning. I have it apart, but not sure where to go from here. What kind of cleaners should I use? Methods? Tools? I am a certified 12volt electrician and have a very good understanding of electronics, wiring, and high-end audio systems. I just need a point in the right direction. :) What is a good book for maintainence and repair? Is it possible to obtain parts for the Bachmann? The cab roof is missing :( I also have two diesel locomotives, a Santa Fe by Tyco which just sits there and smokes :eek: and a white and red Soo Line (do not know who made it) which goes nicely. Thankyou in advance. I am very excited about being here!

If the locos have been stood for 20 plus years, they,ll probably need oiling,with very light oil. I,m sure if you search this site, you,ll find oiling tips from some of the other guys.
Ron

Hello, Blue, and welcome back to the hobby! Unfortunately, the older Bachmann steam engines were always noisy due the poor quality of their motors and gearing. You can make it run as good as it's going to by taking apart the gear tower and removing all the gears. Give them a good cleaning in alcohol and let them air dry. Inspect each gear for burrs and file them smooth with a small flat file. I don't remember the exact way the universals were set up but inspect them and make sure there are in plumb and that the U-joints fit firmly in the drive shafts. The thrust bearings at the end of the motor often got crudded as well so clean them with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol. When every thing is clean, you can now lubricate the parts. I use Dextron III automatic transmission fluid, which is safe for plastic and does a much better job than oil or grease. You only need a drop for each gear. A drop at the thrust bearing and the u-joint connections will also help. A tiny amount on the thrust bearings will also help them stay loose. Check the drive rodes to make sure they are not binding and fix any problems you find. A tiny bit of ATF at each rivet connection is all you need for the rods as long as they are straight and not binding. The last step is to hook up the motor with two alligator clip and flip over the locomotive. Apply power from the power pack and get the heels going fast enough to resist stopping from pressure. If you don't have a Brite-Boy or other similar abrasive block, a pencil eraser will do to clean the wheel treads until they are shiny.

Whew! Now that you've done all that, it's time to put everything back together and hope there are no leftover parts. :) If everything goes right, you should have a much quieter and smoother running engine than when it came from the factory. Good luck and lets us know how it goes.

UP2CSX, thankyou very much for your post. Now I have a good place to start (and plenty of ATF laying around!). Last night I took apart the Tyco diesel locomotive and found the wire to the light bulb had broken at the solder joint and was resting on the ground strap/mount for the bulb... no wonder she would just sit there and smoke. Would a dab of dielectric grease on the axles where they rest on the motor casing help or hinder?
I found the website for Bachmann Trains. I gave them a call. Very nice people there. Unfortunately, they did not have any parts that would replace the missing cab roof :( Maybe a member has one laying around...

Well, I put the Tyco locomotive on the track and turns out to be the quietest smoothest running I have out of the three!!! That loose wire was causing all the trouble. Now, on to cleaning and lubricating

Blue, if you post a picture of the Bachmann unit that needs a roof, one of use here probably has something sitting in the scrapbox that would work. As far as dielectric grease, I've read numerous back and forths about this and I've never seen any proof it really helps but also no proof it does any injury. Since you're much better qualified than me about 12 volt motors, I'd say use you best judgement from your own experience. As to the ATF, just make sure its Dextron III formula. Other types of ATF can and do turn plastic to goo. :)

Dextron III, got it. Thankyou again. I took my son to the local hobby shop today. They have their entire second floor dedicated to model railroading, with a huge N and HO setup in a large glass case. My son was AMAZED!!! I cannot believe how much these locomotives are these days. Nothing under $70!!! I bought my Bachmann 2-8-0 from this same store 20+ years ago for about $20!!! :eek: I looked at some of the Bachmann locos they had there and a couple had similar cab roofs to mine. Here is a picture of the locomotive now... in pieces... I hope some one has a spare cab roof laying around :D

Blue, just think about the price of a gallon of gas 20 years ago! Prices have gone up but the detail, capabilities and running qualities of the DCC equipped Bachmann Spectrum Consolidation is miles ahead your old engine. I'll wait so see if someone else has a spare cab or body to jump in here - I'm basically a diesel guy with only 2 steam engines. If worse came to worse, making a new cab roof with some .020 styrene wouldn't be hard since it's just a curve that exactly follows the lines of the cab. Paint it flat black and it would look fine.

If worse came to worse, making a new cab roof with some .020 styrene wouldn't be hard since it's just a curve that exactly follows the lines of the cab. Paint it flat black and it would look fine.

That's my back-up plan :)

Back