resurrecting old scenery, anyone know how?

CharlieAdams

I'm getting back into building my layout thats been sitting dormant a few years. The colors on some of the scenery have seemed to fade. Ive heard about glycerin and water but I dont know the mix or how much to use. Do any of you know how to do this process?:confused:

I did a search for "using glycerin to preserve lichen" and got some recipes that might work. Could be useful info in some of them.

You could try spraying a coat of the "scenic cement" by woodland scenics. I would start with light mist coats sprayed over the layout letting it fall gently onto the foliage.

I use a mist bottle sold at Wal mart or the like that produces a fine spray. It came in the dollar section where they sell containers for carry on flying on planes.

It just maybe a matter of the scenery being dusty. Try misting the scenery with a mix of 50% water and 50% alcohol.

Greg

Glad to see new blood in the forum Charlie. Let us know how things work out. I have some parts of my layout that are over 25 years old and I have the same problem with some of the colors that look faded. I am also wondering if possible the lighting could have faded the colors.

Glad to see new blood in the forum Charlie. Let us know how things work out. I have some parts of my layout that are over 25 years old and I have the same problem with some of the colors that look faded. I am also wondering if possible the lighting could have faded the colors.

Mines been sitting in the garage uncovered for a couple years, so it is very dusty. I'll probably steal some of my wifes old panty hose to put over the tube on the vacuum so I dont lose anything and clean it up first. I'll look for the glycerin and water recipe and give the lichen and faded stuff a shot. I'll post the results for sure. And thanks for the welcome, Im still learning the layout of this forum and how stuff works, so give me a couple weeks to start posting photos and stuff...

Back