Resistor wheelsets for detection ( what resistance to use?)

lmackattack

old school
Im a little confused with what resistance value I should use for wheel sets

My club layout is using the team Digital Block D8 detection device. It simply passes one of the buss leads from the command station/ through the device /and then to the track. It detects current flow. It is also adjustable to set how sensitive it triggers.

Right now I just want to install wheel sets to all my cabooses to aid in detection. I would like a resistor that will give a solid trigger from one car. I plan to install 2 wheel sets per caboose.

thanks for any help

Hi,

I use RR-CirKits WatchMan for my occupancy detection.

They work fine with 10K wheel sets.

Frederick

Yesterday We tried Jaybee wheelsets at 15k and that did not trigger. We then tested 10k resistors and it was still not a reliable trigger. I had some resistors laying around and it seams 4.7k was a solid trigger. is this to low of a value? Im worried about power loss but I do also have plenty of boosters to support the layout.

Hi,

With two 10K wheel sets per car then most of the time you will have 5K across the rails - which should work.

Frederick

Hi,

With two 10K wheel sets per car then most of the time you will have 5K across the rails - which should work.

Frederick

The reason he's using 2 resistors is so that EITHER wheel with the resistor will be detected, NOT to need BOTH wheels in contact for detection. That would make detection unreliable......

With 2 trucks that have resistors, it's more reliable, AND if the caboose is straddling a block, BOTH blocks will show as detected.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason he's using 2 resistors is so that EITHER wheel with the resistor will be detected, NOT to need BOTH wheels in contact for detection. That would make detection unreliable......

With 2 trucks that have resistors, it's more reliable, AND if the caboose is straddling a block, BOTH blocks will show as detected.

True which is why I said "most of the time" - perhaps I should have said just "often".

I started with 10K resistors on 2 wheels but that was not giving solid detection. I was also having issues with these 10K on plastic axles. the "wire paint" just does not do as good as a job as some have claimed. As soon as I tried the 4.7K on one metal axle the detection was triggered reliably.

I think I will now only use 4.7K resistors on full metal axles. I just hope that the power drop will not be a issue. ?

...the "wire paint" just does not do as good as a job as some have claimed.

What type of "paint" were you using - the silver bearing kind?

The kind I use is expensive - retail of $50 for 20 grams - but it works.

I have used it for all of my wheel sets and the resistance measurement has always been within the expected range of values.

Since I am using electromagnetic uncouplers I have to use non-magnetic wheel sets. The ones I use (Kadee) have plastic axles.

Frederick

What type of "paint" were you using - the silver bearing kind?

The kind I use is expensive - retail of $50 for 20 grams - but it works.

I have used it for all of my wheel sets and the resistance measurement has always been within the expected range of values.

Since I am using electromagnetic uncouplers I have to use non-magnetic wheel sets. The ones I use (Kadee) have plastic axles.

Frederick

I was using something found on Ebay "wire glue". I think its just graphite?

what is the name of the stuff you are using? I have lots of cars with metal wheels but Plastic axles...

I was using something found on Ebay "wire glue". I think its just graphite?

what is the name of the stuff you are using? I have lots of cars with metal wheels but Plastic axles...

[h=1]MG Chemicals 842 Silver Print Conductive Liquid Paint, 20g Container[/h]
I got mine on Amazon.

There is also a cheaper product:

[h=1]MG Chemicals 840 Nickel Print Liquid Paint, 20g Container[/h]
but I have no idea if it would work.

Frederick

Back