Resin printed 40 foot containers- now 48 foot too

GGNInNScale

Granite Gorge and Northern Again
First 3D printing effort using my Photon Mono2, using build files from S. Savard (really nice, detailed .stl files). I painted the case, and put on MicroScale decals. More to come...

Attachments

• t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 37
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 43
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 38
Here is the latest:
4 40ft and 1 20ft container, airbrushed, decaled and sealed.
containers.jpg

Made another set of 20s and 40s using my updated designs. Just finished assembling. Will post new images. These will be Evergreen, OOCL, Maersk and Showa, and others.

Hi thanks!
So, resin cost is about 10 or 15 cents. The decals are about $6 or $7 per sheet- makes at least 4 containers. Paint is nothing, and my time is "fun", so I figure a net cost is about $1.75 per unit give or take.

They look great, i really NEED a 3d printer.. I NEED one like a duck needs water.
What are the advantages of resin over the usual PLA ones? Is the "ink" more expensive? What is the score here as i am relly in the market for something.

They look great, i really NEED a 3d printer.. I NEED one like a duck needs water.
What are the advantages of resin over the usual PLA ones? Is the "ink" more expensive? What is the score here as i am relly in the market for something.
Vince-RA (a member of this forum) might be willing to part with his (quite new model). He had second thoughts about how much he might use it after a short opening experience: https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/3d-printing.35905/page-4#post-580646 and

https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/3d-printing.35905/page-4#post-581767.

I kinda feel like I talked him into buying it, simply because there was a $100 off sale when it was new, compared to a closely matched competitor. FW that's worth.

With regards to printers the resin (SLA ) printers are the only one's giving sufficient detail for serious MRR work. Please note that it is somewhat of a witches art getting the designs, resin and printer settings plus supports all in a line. Check out the 3D printer thread.

Tom

One minor issue with 3D resin printing has to do with there being a slight tendency to get a swayback, this is acceptable for say a 1900 era wooden boxcar but less so for a 40' container. Orientation is critical here and sometimes printing in an inconvenient vertical orientation is necessary. For ships masts, to get acceptable results ir=t was necessary to print them vertical, resulting in very long print times, and making them hollow to reinforce with steel wire. A long vertical print can take a long time!

Here are my latest results: Used S. Savard's .stl file, modified a bit to minimize the bowing, added some acrylic paint, MicroScale decals. I put a picture of 5 others above. I can print 4 units of the 40 ft at a time, and 6 of the 20 ft. Takes about 2:20 for the print, 5 minutes for rinsing in 99% IPA, and 4 minutes for baking. A bit of sanding to true up the bottom, a bit of CA glue, clamp for an hour and airbrush.
IMG_1015.JPG

Hi to all I applied my autocad memory to tinkercad, and created a new 48 foot container .stl file. It used the core S. Savard model, with a larger internal brace and lengthened to 48 feet for my well cars. I am going to print tonight, will post pictures if the fitment is good.

Vince-RA (a member of this forum) might be willing to part with his (quite new model). He had second thoughts about how much he might use it after a short opening experience: https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/3d-printing.35905/page-4#post-580646 and

https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/3d-printing.35905/page-4#post-581767.

I kinda feel like I talked him into buying it, simply because there was a $100 off sale when it was new, compared to a closely matched competitor. FW that's worth.
I'm afraid it was sold to a coworker a while back. No hard feelings at all, I did plenty well talking myself into it :D

Hi to all It took a bit more effort than I thought, but the 48 foot container file is complete, and tested on my Anycubic Mono2. It is based on Stephane Savard's 40 foot model. Depending on your resin shrinkage at cure, it is within 2 or 3 scale inches of 48 feet. I test fitted the builds in my 48 foot well cars, too. There are 4 wells (2 on top and two on the bottom) for 4mm or 5mm disk magnets. I glue them in with superglue or epoxy. The well cars and 48 foot container are VERY light, so to bring them up to NMRA standard, I added car balancing weights and BBs glued in with epoxy. The pictures show a new container in progress. The bottom plate is in a well car, and two tops are shown. I have not cleaned up the inside of the top, or mounted the magnets. The bottom plate makes a good tub for the weights. The slight bow in the top section is eliminated by gluing the top to the base plate. Then, a bit of paint and decals.
The URL for the .stl file is: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/dLokBHCZxQk-48-foot-container-n-scale
IMG_1243.jpg

Nice, without any weight are these approximately the same weight as the main manufacturers or lighter ?

Hmmm, that's a good question. I did pick up a few (literally, not bought...) and two in a poly pack felt pretty light. I put the car and container on a scale, and add weight until I am just below NMRA weight for the length of the car, then glue everything. With the magnets, a 48 footer and the well car, it is about 15 grams. The target weight is about 36-37 grams. I did try to run the cars without weighting- disaster ensued.

Yeah. I had the same problem with a 5-car articulated set that @PMW sent me, at least the weights have arrived now, so I've only got 26 containers to do. :)

Back