Replacements for Floquil and Polly Scale paints

So, Alcohol then, that begs the question: which one? There is Denatured Alcohol, Ethanal, Rubbing Alcohol, Methanol and Isopropyl Alcohol? There may even be more!

Most assuredly there are more, including 2-Butoxyethanol,a typical glycol ether alcohol solvent used in some acrylic paints. The opinion on rubbing alcohol, also know as isopropyl alcohol, propanol, and isopropanol, is mixed. Some use it successfully, others not so much. I have had it work with some brands of acrylic paint, but I've had it cause other brands to coagulate. Now, I only use it (iso) as a carrier for India ink for weathering buildings and scenery. Denatured alcohol is a chemically poisoned ethanol (to keep you from avoiding taxes and drinking it). It is sometimes blended with methanol (wood alcohol), which is also toxic. It (denatured) works with all the acrylics I have tried it with. I use the butoxy formula from MRH for thinning; denatured for cleaning. But mostly, I still use Scalecoat. The fact that they are about 5 miles away has no bearing on my preference.

Thank goodness there is still only a couple types of water: drinking and heavy water and I know from living for 66 years that heavy water is not used to clean brushes

Au contraire! Tap, distilled, spring, de-ionized, mineral, sparkling; just to start. And since gravity has a greater effect at the poles, your Minnesota water is heavier than, say, Andy's in California.

Wow, the knower of frivolous information has spoken!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tru-Color paints is the best over all the older ones.
Only problem I found is their too thick to spray right out of the bottle with a good duel-action airbrush.
Every bottle I get I fill to the top with more Acetone, makes a world of difference in spraying.
I use around 35-40 psi for all spraying jobs.
Duel-action airbrushes I use is a Paasche VL-3, Iwata Eclipse, Metalflake and a Central Pneumatic.

Back