Replacement truck frames on Athearn 57' spine

Ironhorse

Hello all,

I am wanting to replace the intermediate trucks on my new Athearn 57' AP spines with Intermountain 33" Semi Scale wheels; those exposed wheels are really noticable, and I find that the Semi Scale wheelsets go a long way to improving the "model" look.

However, the Intermountain axles appear too long for the Athearn trucks. Does anyone know where I can get some Intermountain truck frames at a decent price?

Don't get Intermountain truck frames. Intermountain makes good wheels, but some of their trucks are total junk.

Change out the trucks to different Athearn, or Atlas trucks. Walthers and MDC/Roundhouse trucks are unpredictable as far as how deep the pockets are to hold the wheel in. Newer Athearn blue box cars have shallower pockets, as does some of their RTR stuff.

Reboxx and Jaybee both sell metal wheels with custom axle lengths (Reboxx actually custom orders from Intermountain)

Heck, just buy a pack of Genesis 70T trucks, they have code 88, 33" wheels and brake rigging.

Heck, just buy a pack of Genesis 70T trucks, they have code 88, 33" wheels and brake rigging.
Thanks, I think that might the easiest. The factory trucks appear to be 100T trucks though (3 springs in the middle), did Athearn put the wrong trucks on?

Some 3 spring trucks are 70T trucks as well. Take for example the ones Accurail makes. If you look closely, they're stamped for Barber S2, 70T trucks, and have 3 exposed springs.

Back