Replacement Motor for Athearn DD40 (circa 1967)

Smudge617

Does anyone know which replacement motor would fit this locomotive. I was thinking the #84086, with flywheels, (although the current motors don't have any #84001) but the armature looks too short, there is also the Athearn #84060, which is for Blue Box 6 axles, but that looks too long.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that motor will work just the drive shafts will be different Is that a single motor or dual motor The one I have is dual motor

Pretty sure that motor will work just the drive shafts will be different Is that a single motor or dual motor The one I have is dual motor
Mine's also a dual motor, do you know if I should replace both motors or just the one with the problem?

so I went down and located my DD40 and this is what I did It has one motor with flywheels and one without I never put the connection back in between the motors Not sure why not I have the parts to do it maybe I should I probably test ran it and was fine as is don't remember
Also the motors one is using the old style motor mounts that just press in the other has the style using screws
I had to cut out a small section to clear the flywheel near the truck

Attachments

• DSC_0419.JPG
    DSC_0419.JPG
    363.9 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0420.JPG
    DSC_0420.JPG
    326.7 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_0421.JPG
    DSC_0421.JPG
    305 KB · Views: 96
Also as you can see both of those motors use the old style spline connections If you get a newer style motor it will use the drive shaft with that hex head on one end and that tee on the other Athearn (dogbone) has them in different lengths You would also need a different socket on the worm gear

Also as you can see both of those motors use the old style spline connections If you get a newer style motor it will use the drive shaft with that hex head on one end and that tee on the other Athearn (dogbone) has them in different lengths You would also need a different socket on the worm gear

I've ordered a new #84040 motor, without flywheels, so I can use the old connectors. I'm still uncertain whether to replace both. as you say the #84040 is a better motor, so the old and new may run uneven, but it's on back order till October from my supplier in the US, so I have time to change my mind and get two.

Thanks for you help. I appreciate it. :)

Was just looking on line and I see there is also a ATH84080 motor It looks the same as the 84040

So I sent a email to Athearn and asked them for any info Is the 84080 just a newer model ?? or what

Was just looking on line and I see there is also a ATH84080 motor It looks the same as the 84040

So I sent a email to Athearn and asked them for any info Is the 84080 just a newer model ?? or what
Please let me know if you get a answer from them, but I think it's a newer model, which makes me a bit nervous about the motor mounts, not having one it's impossible to check the fit, but I've got both the push in and the screw mounts, hence wondering if getting two motors would be a good idea.

The motor mounts are all the same It's just the older ones were push in and the newer ones have screws that hold them on
They changed the motors for the better but the mounts in the chassis is the same

And got one reply from Athearn gave me a case number and will respond to my questions in 24 to 72 hrs

The motor mounts are all the same It's just the older ones were push in and the newer ones have screws that hold them on
They changed the motors for the better but the mounts in the chassis is the same

And got one reply from Athearn gave me a case number and will respond to my questions in 24 to 72 hrs
Wow! I'm lucky to get an answer in a week, think I need to find the pack of screws I have to fit the newer mounts, seems I might just need them :)

They replied said the ath84080 isn't compatible with engines prior to 2005 Because of the dogbone style drive shafts with the hex head
They failed to mention the ath84040 So I replied to them with that question so pretty much any motors except maybe the genisis ones will work
There's also a ath84086 that is supposed to be better made It only comes with flywheels it looks like

I forgot to ask do you have the motor mounts ath84026

They replied said the ath84080 isn't compatible with engines prior to 2005 Because of the dogbone style drive shafts with the hex head
They failed to mention the ath84040 So I replied to them with that question so pretty much any motors except maybe the genisis ones will work
There's also a ath84086 that is supposed to be better made It only comes with flywheels it looks like

I forgot to ask do you have the motor mounts ath84026
The #84026 mounts I have, also A-Line do a conversion kit for hex drive motors.
The ath84086 looks like the same motor as the #84040 but with flywheels, but I suspect it has a longer armature, I have a new #84086, so I'll check.

There are a few ways to go about motoring this chassis. You can use switcher motors to power it, then you have a flywheel on both ends of both motors. SD type hex dive shafts will fit if you want to go that route, If you take a metal cutting saw you can remove metal from the frame as pictured on one end of your image to accommodate regular GP/SD type motors on both ends. As info the length between drives is the same GP to SD types, on SD types the flywheel is simply a bit longer.
I offer the below just as info. Note, I have the motors facing each other as opposed to the same direction (per original), remember that unless you change polarity (magnet orientation) these motors will rotate the same direction whether facing same or opposite directions. This was done to try to keep both drives close to the same length. I cut the motor shaft so I could have the center of the shell see thru and open per prototype, I also have found sealed ball bearings that I tried on these motors. I machined the journal boxes off and added DA Hyatt journal box cover plates. Also added a common wire to both motors to ensure they both get the same voltage, it actually works very well.
The model is like the prototype, I am sure, as in it is kind of slippery, a lot of HP per axle/weight. I have added sheet lead to the model and it pulls like crazy, no give up in it.
Anyway a few images of what I am talking about.
008.JPG

001.JPG

003 (3).JPG

002 (3).JPG

002 (2).JPG

I would be glad to help you with this if I can. I have an extra frame/trucks if that helps.

The #84026 mounts I have, also A-Line do a conversion kit for hex drive motors.
The ath84086 looks like the same motor as the #84040 but with flywheels, but I suspect it has a longer armature, I have a new #84086, so I'll check.
well the 84046 wont fit as you can see from the foto, the entire motor is too long to fit without doing major surgery to the chassis, which is beyond my expertise.
Also found one motor (the one I want to replace) is definitely causing problems, runs very slow in reverse, and an increase in power doesn't help, once past 3/4 (there's no increase in speed between 1/4 and 3/4) power it pretty much stops and just runs for a second stops, runs for a second, stops, etc. and the power light starts to flash on my DC controller too.

Seeing the disparity between the two motors, I think replacing both would be a good idea, although one motor runs really well a new motor would run more efficiently and the older motor is unlikely to keep up with it if I only change one.

20220919_132439.jpg

Last edited:
There are a few ways to go about motoring this chassis. You can use switcher motors to power it, then you have a flywheel on both ends of both motors. SD type hex dive shafts will fit if you want to go that route, If you take a metal cutting saw you can remove metal from the frame as pictured on one end of your image to accommodate regular GP/SD type motors on both ends. As info the length between drives is the same GP to SD types, on SD types the flywheel is simply a bit longer.
I offer the below just as info. Note, I have the motors facing each other as opposed to the same direction (per original), remember that unless you change polarity (magnet orientation) these motors will rotate the same direction whether facing same or opposite directions. This was done to try to keep both drives close to the same length. I cut the motor shaft so I could have the center of the shell see thru and open per prototype, I also have found sealed ball bearings that I tried on these motors. I machined the journal boxes off and added DA Hyatt journal box cover plates. Also added a common wire to both motors to ensure they both get the same voltage, it actually works very well.
The model is like the prototype, I am sure, as in it is kind of slippery, a lot of HP per axle/weight. I have added sheet lead to the model and it pulls like crazy, no give up in it.
Anyway a few images of what I am talking about.
View attachment 151973
View attachment 151974
View attachment 151975

View attachment 151976

View attachment 151977

I would be glad to help you with this if I can. I have an extra frame/trucks if that helps.
WOW! OMG, and a few other words come to mind seeing these, fantastic looking locomotive's you have.
I may well take you up on the offer regarding the frame and trucks, but it's unlikely that my shell would fit onto your frame, as you seem to have a more recent version than mine, but I'm certainly no expert on such things, this is my version.

20220919_154451.jpg

I was hoping to keep this as original as I could, but that seems to be a fading hope, I have ordered a new Athearn#84040 motor, which may (or not) fit, without doing surgery on the frame, something I'm certainly not enthusiastic, and, if I'm honest, consider myself competent to do.

Do you know which motor you used in your's, you mentioned a switcher motor, but I don't possess any, so I'm uncertain which motor that is?

Tom great work on that DD-35 very nice
Smudge It looks like the motor mounts are the same spacing Just the motor itself is a bit longer Not sure about the copper band on bottom of motor Not sure if the ATH84040 motor will ever be produced again shame on Athearn if they don't
The ATH84080 and ATH84086 look to be the same motor just one with flywheels and one without

Smudge question for you will that 84086 motor sit in the chassis at all or is the copper power strip part to long

Back