Replacement for Old Atlas #56 Turnout Switch?

KB02

I want to build a nice control panel for my layout that is not only functional but ecstatically pleasing as well. I want to get rid of the old Atlas #56 turnout switches and use toggle switches instead. I have been searching this, and other forums, and Google as well, but cannot seem to find the answer to my question: WHAT KIND OF SWITCH DO I NEED?

As this is an HO, DC layout (maybe DCC in the future, but we'll see), running mostly Atlas snap switch turnouts with the above table motor, and I only want to use ONE switch per turnout, I THINK I need a Single Pole, Double Throw (SPDT), Momentary toggle switch, right? Or do I need DPDT?

I'm pretty SPDT works with the neutral wire in the center. Haven't tried it. You may want a few more opinions. It should be that easy though. I think that's all the Atlas switches are in a slide configuration .

Correct, a single pole double throw momentary. It will have 3 terminals on the back side. Center is common feed into the switch and the outer ones will send power to one side or the other of the switch machine coils. The center terminal on the Atlas switch machines will all be connected to a single common wire coming back to your power supply. The only down side using these switches is because the handle returns to center after you activiate it you cannot determine which way the turnout is thrown unless you can see it. Your old Atlas switches got moved left or right and then you pressed them down to thrown the turnout. The button would remain either left or right when released. At a glance you could see which was the position the turnout was in.

Miniatronics sells these SPDT momentary jobs through hobby shops. You should also be able to find them at an electronics parts store and may be cheaper. Radio Shack used to have a nice selection but lately seems more geared to Ipads and other cell phone stuff.

Thanks. Yeah, I've found Radio Shack to be somewhat useless now a days. They used to be great for this kind of thing.

Back