Removing Rust On Axles And Wheels. Now Solved. Thanks

Smudge617

I'm cleaning up the Chessie Caboose and realised the axels have severe rust, I've cleaned one set as you can see, but I had to use quite severe methods (wire brush and fine sandpaper), I was wondering if anyone knew of a gentler method to remove the rust.

Rusty wheels.jpg

Do you have a Dremel? They have a wire wheel (brush) attachment. easier to clean but maybe as harsh as your method.

The only other thing I can think of offhand would be an ultrasonic cleaner, but probably too expensive for a few wheels.

Do you have a Dremel? They have a wire wheel (brush) attachment. easier to clean but maybe as harsh as your method.

The only other thing I can think of offhand would be an ultrasonic cleaner, but probably too expensive for a few wheels.
Oh! balderdash, I totally forgot, I have a box of polishing and buffing wheels that fit my Dremel. Thanks Mike.

Actually, what you did was temporarily removed the rust and prepared the wheels for a much tougher rust build up.
Any abrasion to the nickel silver surface will create tiny cervices that will rust up much faster and tougher than the surface rust that you initially saw.
Any rust issue should be dealt with using a rust dissolver instead of a mechanical removal process.

Back