remove paint from Athearn diesel frame

eberners

I found a new frame so I can repair my Athearn GP38-2, but they had only black and I need silver. I want to remove the black paint - does anyone know how?

Ed in South Bend, IN

Soak it in a bowl of laquer thinner. Regular paint thinner won't work. Or use any commercial paint stripper. Alternately you could wash it in soap and water and then go over it with a Scotchbrite pad or #400 grit paper enough to dull the finish and then paint the silver over it. The original black paint then acts as a primer. Any place that will be an electrical point of contact like the underside of the truck bolsters needs to be masked off before any painting.

You're wlecome Ed. Leaving the original paint would be the least messy. Definitely wash it before sanding to remove any oil or other lubes or they will get sanded into the surface and create problems for the new paint to stick. I've repainted quite a few Athearn frames and not stripped them back to bare metal.

Thanks a bunch, Mike -- nothing like the voice of experience. I have family visiting now 'til Sunday, but then I'll go ahead with scrub and spray -- Ed

If you have some alcohol, a quick wash with that will remove any greasy residue and also seems to give the factory paint a bit of tooth. Brush it on and blow dry right away. If you let it soak for a time, it will start to soften the finish. I find that makes a great "primer" base.

Mark.

Thanks for the suggestion, Mark. I suppose you mean 70% isopropyl, but I also have some 50% grain alcohol. I would never have thought of blow drying, and I wonder -- wouldn't that evaporate the alcohol and leave everything else behind? You can tell that I have no experience with cleaning paint before applying a new coat :)

Ed

What I meant Ed, was to use a large can or container and a small still paint brush and just give it a quick wash down. You don't need to scrub it. I use 90% isopropyl, but as long as the alcohol content will cut the oils, the effect should still be the same.

Mark.

Back