reliable 0-4-0 chasis

GPwrangler

Can anybody recommend me a good, reliable frame for an 0-4-0 project I'm working on? I really don't have any desire to make a frame. It's going to be a porter 0-4-0t with really small drivers.

I'm hoping to have it end up like this.
mq202walk1.jpg

Thanks!

Do you have prototype dimensions for your project?

You might need to try a foriegn chassis. Look at the site on the following link:

http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/

These are OO (1/76) scale but that won't matter if you just want a chassis. Also note tnone have the correct crosshead for your project. You also need to get the motor and wheels seperately.

http://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=3030

This one looks to have a comparable wheel spacing. Once again, wrong crosshead. Not sure if you can talk them into selling you the chassis only.

Bachmann has the right crosshead and cylinders, but it would be tricky to get the combination to run freely.

How small are the drivers? Some of the older Mantua locos had drivers as small as 52", but I suspect that's bigger than what you want.

Thanks for the replies. I'm having a heck of a time getting the driver dimensions though. If i wasn't 3000 miles away from it I'd go measure it myself. I've emailed a couple people who have had their hands on it a few times to see if they know.

When I saw this picture, "Little Joe" came to mind. Can't remember if this was Varney, Tyco or ??? Seems one of these even appeared on John Allen's G & D? Maybe I'm just hallucinating on cookies. My wife is baking Christmas cookies and its my duty to sample each batch- kind of a quality control thing.

Thanks for the replies. I'm having a heck of a time getting the driver dimensions though. If i wasn't 3000 miles away from it I'd go measure it myself. I've emailed a couple people who have had their hands on it a few times to see if they know.

Get in the "Yardbirds" yahoo group. Someone there will know where to get what you need.

Kent in KC

OK I figured it out. It has 27" drivers with a 55" wheelbase. That works out to about .31" wheels and .63" wheelbase. I might be better off finding an N scale model and making the axles wider.

I was considering this Bachmann model, but that hornby one looks pretty promising

When I saw this picture, "Little Joe" came to mind. Can't remember if this was Varney, Tyco or ??? Seems one of these even appeared on John Allen's G & D? Maybe I'm just hallucinating on cookies. My wife is baking Christmas cookies and its my duty to sample each batch- kind of a quality control thing.

If that's the one I'm thinking of it's a pretty large 0-4-0.

BTW I asked my woman if she could make cookies and was told -in no uncertain terms- that she will not.

27" drivers! Those are small wheels! Maybe bashing an N scale mech with custom axles would be the cheapest method? Otherwise it will be a serious scratch build.

I think I finally found a good starting point. After just about forgetting about this project I stubmled across THIS. Surely I can figure out how to re-gauge it to standard.

Back