Reconfigurable track benchwork?

DougM

For my first step at the moment I probably need to do a garage hoist away, probably starting with 4x8 then perhaps later adding a standard module (modular HO) to some edge.

I was hoping to simply have a level surface that snap-track could be affixed to in a manner that holds it fairly secure but it can be moved easily to try out different configurations.

My first thought was a simple frame using 1x2 or 1x3 topped with some thin plywood then homasote or other sound board on top. The hoasote would be to make it a little quieter and to provide a surface that track can be pinned or nailed to easily, and pulled up and moved easily as well.

I like the idea of blue foam for light weight but I don't know a good way to temporarily attach track to it and then move the track around.

Basic requirements are:
- low cost
- fairly simple construction (time is limited)
- garage hoist away is probably only space there is

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Depends a little on the type of track you're using. UniTrack is designed to be easily put together, taken apart, and reconfigured. You can also use low-temp glue gun to secure it down... although you might not want to try that on foam.

For regular track... just use "T" pins. Also called macrame or hobby pins. Just use it to tack down the track onto foam.
Make a table with ply and then put a layer of foam on top... then pin your track onto that.

I ended up with a bunch of Atlas snap-track so I was planning on using that.

I had heard that pins/nails didn't hold well to foam so that is why I had discounted that material. Looking at the macrame T pins online they seem to be about 1.5 inches long, I guess the length might help then stay in the foam. Good idea I might try it out.

Foamboard and foam roadbed

Foam roadbed will white glue to foamboard real easily (see my N Scale foamboard pictures in N Scale forum) Track is easily taken up from either by sliding a razor knife under it in a 'sawing' manner, or take up the track/roadbed as one and seperate them later. I have moved/made corrections to track several times and had no problems. Use either long sewing pins or the hobby pins mentioned elsewhere. For sweeping curves, flex track is OK. For tighter bends I use setional track simply because the foamboard doesn't hold the tight turn flex track as easily as a more solid base. I've done it but it does need to pinned more securely and more often than a sweeping curve. Once the glue dries, there is no difference. Otherwise - no problem.

My modular layout is, with the exception of the yards and industrial switching areas completely interchangeable. The mainlines were constructed using NMRA Standards and Best Practices.

I used plywood for the sub-base only where track and structures were to be mounted. There is a 5" gap of no track between modules for connections. Of course, since you are using a modular track, like "Snap-Track" this method is not applicable, but with some planning and ingenuity it can be done.

Bob

Back