Recommendations for Reading Term. Shed?

otiscnj

I'm considering building a model of the Reading Terminal shed, in Philly. It was in operation from 1893-1984. Today its part of the PA Convention Center, in Center City. It had 13 tracks I believe, my version will be about 2' wide, and include 10 tracks.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding a 'stand in,' or kitbash? -I've considered the Walther's MILW trainshed-not the right type of supports.
-Also considered scaling the 'Large Overall Roof,' from 'Scalescenes.com.'
-Latest is to try something from 'bridgeboss.com,' but their are geared mainly towards 'O' and larger scales.
-Didn't see anything from N-Scale Architect, or Microstructures, at the recent Springfield show.

My recollection is that Grand Central in Chicago had a similar shed, and/or maybe Louisville, or Nashville, might have had a similar passenger station shed, in their heyday. Not sure about similar structures in Europe, but I'm aware that a number of European cities have trainsheds of one sort or another.

Thanks in advance,

Otis

I've seen convincing models of Thirtieth Street station which is more complicated with the River Line, and Suburban Line stations within the same complex; so a convincing Reading Terminal is not out of the question.
Scratchbuilding is your only alternative, AFAIK.

The key is getting the roof right. What you cannot see, doesn't need to be modeled. Better yet, consider Broad Street station, post fire, as an alternative.

Perhaps the coolest station in Philly was the B&O station at 24th and Chestnut, but few photos are available.

Most of the good stuff was demolished before I was old enough to be interested. Reading Terminal, including the street level market, always impressed me as dark, and dirty, not a pleasant place to pass through.
While Thirtieth Street, appeared clean and modern, even though it was equally grimy.

Perhaps the Reading Company Historical Society has information you could copy to help you build the train shed.

Good luck on your project.

WJ,

I remember the Philly 'stations' from when I was kid visiting my maternal Grandmother, in the 1970's, mostly. In the late 60's I remember going thru some 'concourse/tunnels,' to get from 30th street, to the Market St. Subway stop for 30th St. I wouldn't want to try that today. Although I'm considering building Reading Terminal, I prefered the 'basement stations,' like Suburban, and the thru portion of 30th St. In the mid-late 70's Reading Terminal had seen better days, but it was something different, which was quite a contrast to the Pennsy. i also liked taking the train at night, and seeing all the buildings lit up, as well as the signals.

I've been collecting anything I can find on Reading Terminal for years, pondering building a model of some portion of it, 'in the future.' I'm a member of the RCT&HS at this point, plus follow the Reading Modeler, and the Reading Yahoo group online.

I've actually pondered whether I'd be better off modeling the B&O station(MILW trainshed, with scratch built head house), or North Broad(Walther's Union Station kitbash). Not planning to start construction any time soon(ie this year), so I have a while yet.

Thanks for responding!

WJ,

I remember the Philly 'stations' from when I was kid visiting my maternal Grandmother, in the 1970's, mostly. In the late 60's I remember going thru some 'concourse/tunnels,' to get from 30th street, to the Market St. Subway stop for 30th St. I wouldn't want to try that today. Although I'm considering building Reading Terminal, I prefered the 'basement stations,' like Suburban, and the thru portion of 30th St. In the mid-late 70's Reading Terminal had seen better days, but it was something different, which was quite a contrast to the Pennsy. i also liked taking the train at night, and seeing all the buildings lit up, as well as the signals.

I've been collecting anything I can find on Reading Terminal for years, pondering building a model of some portion of it, 'in the future.' I'm a member of the RCT&HS at this point, plus follow the Reading Modeler, and the Reading Yahoo group online.

I've actually pondered whether I'd be better off modeling the B&O station(MILW trainshed, with scratch built head house), or North Broad(Walther's Union Station kitbash). Not planning to start construction any time soon(ie this year), so I have a while yet.

Thanks for responding!

The Reading is a fascinating railroad to study or model. Portions of my model railroad are based on a section of the Chester and Delaware River RR, (RDG Chester Branch), at the end of the Industrial era, while other parts are based on unrelated locations, lines.

I bought a Walthers Milwaukee train shed, hoping to build a reasonable interpretation of the C of GA station in Savannah, GA. It would be suitable for the Philly B&O shed also. The head house, would be a challenge, however.

Joe

Back