Re-Numbering Locomotives

quakers1

The Blue Man
Hello Everyone,

I got a quick question to ask. At this time, I am planning a layout that will entail the operation of several trains, many of which will incorporate the same model of locomotive. Most manufacturers tend to only put out 2 or 3 road numbers per paint scheme.

This may sound like a stupid question, but is it common practice to buy several locomotives of the same number, and re-number them using decal sets and such? I had this in mind, but I was not sure if it was common practice.

Thanks for any help,

-Skylar:)

Re-numbering a factory engine can be easy enough. Its not too hard to do. Some companies have engines painted, but leave the numbers off. But that's not too common. The other option is to completely custom paint a unit. First option is usually easier.

Hello,

Thanks for your help. For example, I have found some HO Scale Athearn locomotives in NS colors that come in only a couple of numbers. Is there any way to just strip the numbers off without stripping the paint with it?

If I can get the numbers off, I can get some decals without any trouble and pull off the re-numbering process.

Thanks for all help so far, and any help to come :)

Athearn RTR engines have a layer of plastic over the numberboards so that the pad printed numbers don't get rubbed off (which won't happen as the numbers don't come off easily anyway).

With cab numbers, try using an eraser to rub off the numbers. The numbers are not decals or paint, but rather pad printed ink.

I have used the testors thinner (red label) in the past to remove just the numbers.

Thanks for all the suggestions! When the time comes to do re-numbering work, I will have these tips in mind. Thanks for everything! :):)

don't forget the old school method: brake fluid. It's slow but works great for this with a little elbow grease.

Brake fluid would only be useful if you're stripping the whole shell.

Nail Polish Remover contains acetone. If you use too much, it will eat your shell.

Brake fluid would only be useful if you're stripping the whole shell.

Nail Polish Remover contains acetone. If you use too much, it will eat your shell.

what i do is strip some of the cotton off the q-tip
then dip in N.P.R. with another q-tip dipped in thinner
i scrub a little with the N.P.R then rinse with thinner
scrub a little more and rinse. with a third q-tip with water
for a final rinse

Back