RDC

NVSrr1500

SO I have a couple of sets of ATT RDCs. Not going to Do any DCC or anything fancy. Just add lights, and try to add pick ups. which is the first thing that needs to be done. anybody know where I could find metal wheels that will fit these? These are British, so maybe a set from Britain?
The other question, Why do these have the Budd company logo stamped on the bottom instead of ATT? Only other stamp is made in Britain even though the manufacturer is from Wisconsin. Only piece I have seen with the prototype manufacturer stamped on the model.

Shane

SO I have a couple of sets of ATT RDCs. Not going to Do any DCC or anything fancy. Just add lights, and try to add pick ups. which is the first thing that needs to be done. anybody know where I could find metal wheels that will fit these? These are British, so maybe a set from Britain?
The other question, Why do these have the Budd company logo stamped on the bottom instead of ATT? Only other stamp is made in Britain even though the manufacturer is from Wisconsin. Only piece I have seen with the prototype manufacturer stamped on the model.

Shane
If yours are similar to the ones below you can simply add a set of wiper pickups to the trucks or pickup springs for power, but as your asking about metal wheels I'm assumming yours are plastic.
OO scale wheels are either 14.1mm or 12.6mm, 12.6mm would, I believe, be the corrrect size for your RDCs

1711763703522.png

Wiper pickups are from DCC concepts.

1711764389266.png

These are for N scale, but HO/OO scale are also available.
1711764713806.png

Some modification may be required to the trucks to fit wipers and also to the axle boxes for the new wheelsets, if you decide to go that route.

If yours are similar to the ones below you can simply add a set of wiper pickups to the trucks or pickup springs for power, but as your asking about metal wheels I'm assumming yours are plastic.
OO scale wheels are either 14.1mm or 12.6mm, 12.6mm would, I believe, be the corrrect size for your RDCs

View attachment 185123

Wiper pickups are from DCC concepts.

View attachment 185125

These are for N scale, but HO/OO scale are also available.
View attachment 185126

Some modification may be required to the trucks to fit wipers and also to the axle boxes for the new wheelsets, if you decide to go that route.

Thanks Smudge. They are the same as pictured. Measures to 14.1mm. I would still need the wipers tho. IS MM how they are listed in say a place like Gaugemaster?

Thanks Smudge. They are the same as pictured. Measures to 14.1mm. I would still need the wipers tho. IS MM how they are listed in say a place like Gaugemaster?
Yes, the part number is Hornby R8218

Gaugemaster list them here.

But you can get them on various auction sites as well, I would look around as postage to the US can be expensive from some retailers.
DCC Concepts wipers you should be able to get from Iron Planet Hobbies or Trainz in the US.

But as I found out original Triang axles are slightly longer than their modern-day counterparts so there could be some slop in the axle boxes, but this is easily fixed by fitting pin-point bearings (which is what I've done on all my Triang cars) but you won't know for certain till you fit the new wheelsets.

If you find you need pin-point bearings and can't find them in the US, let me know, I've some spares I don't need

Shane

As you may already know, the short-lived ATT was primarily an importer of models from places like Japan, Yugoslavia, and Britain. Although the company was based in Wisconsin, I believe most of their products were made overseas. Why they put 'Budd' on the car, who knows. Maybe Budd required it, maybe the manufacturer decided to do it on their own, maybe the product was actually designed before ATT secured import and distribution rights.

Here's a pic from Tony Cook's reference website:

att_rdc_ad.jpg

Yes, the part number is Hornby R8218

Gaugemaster list them here.

But you can get them on various auction sites as well, I would look around as postage to the US can be expensive from some retailers.
DCC Concepts wipers you should be able to get from Iron Planet Hobbies or Trainz in the US.

But as I found out original Triang axles are slightly longer than their modern-day counterparts so there could be some slop in the axle boxes, but this is easily fixed by fitting pin-point bearings (which is what I've done on all my Triang cars) but you won't know for certain till you fit the new wheelsets.

If you find you need pin-point bearings and can't find them in the US, let me know, I've some spares I don't need
I measured the axle length, 27 mm is what I have on the existing axles.

I measured the axle length, 27 mm is what I have on the existing axles.
Bachmann wheels have an axle length of 25.98 which is close, but that's only what I have been told I don't have any OO scale Bachmann cars to check against.

I have found this site in the UK which has nearly the axle length you're looking for (26mm), the wheel diameter are scale 3'6" would that be correct ?
(the coach wheels are the last two).

Also, have you tried NWSL?

Failing that, I think you'll have to go with the Hornby R8218 and insert pin-point bearings, which is not the most eloquent of solutions as the bearings have to stand proud of the interior axle boxes

I found DCC concepts has the Hornby 14mm with their pickups already installed. I will look at the other before I do anything

I found a new issue. the plastic used for the trucks does not take to any glue so far. and it is brittle. I dropped one chassis and now the truck is in 5 pieces. Anybody else deal with this issue of brittle plastic and trucks?

I found a new issue. the plastic used for the trucks does not take to any glue so far. and it is brittle. I dropped one chassis and now the truck is in 5 pieces. Anybody else deal with this issue of brittle plastic and trucks?
WOW! I've got a couple of old Triang passenger cars and I didn't have that problem with them, I assume the plastic has gone brittle due to its age. I take it you mean when you tried to glue the truck back together it didn't take, I've found using some sandpaper where the break is helps the glue to bond better, what glue are you using ?

I think you may have to swap the trucks out now as well If that's happened and won't go back together, especially if another breaks.

Back