Railroad Passes #2

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
I know I've asked before about "RR Passes" & I thought I would bring it up again. Is there anyone on this forum that sends out a RR pass anymore to their friends & countrymen & women?
Here's a small asst. I have in a picture frame. I haven't sent any for about 5 years because I ran out of them & I need to make up a new design. Originally I only made up 50 & sent all of those out in a 5 year period. Then I was an NMRA member & we traded them quite often.
I had thought about posting mine on the forum, but it has my address, ph.# & email addy on it & I really don't want the whole world to phone me or email me after reading it on the forum.

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry I have not done anything with my RR passes in about 5 years. I have or had 25 or 30 e-passes, after a couple of computer crashes I am not sure how many I have. I do not have any that I snail mailed or were snail mailed to me. I guess I could go to my website and see how many I have there and that would be most if not all of them. I have not updated it in over 3 years. I guess I am getting lazy or maybe lost some interest in my model RR. I am sure I will get back at it before to long. I keep going in there and looking around and doing piddly stuff more often that last year.

I just made up a new design & here it is.
If anyone wants one emailed to them, email me & I'll fill it out w/your name, # & date.

Larry

Larry, I still have the 1 that you sent me years ago & if you need a copy I'll email it to you.

Larry

You know, I used to have passes way back in the early 70's when they still had pass exchanges in MR and MRC. I've never thought about starting again but it would be lots easier now with graphics programs and e-mail. I think this might be a really cool idea. Any one else want to participate? I'll start working on a pass design for my shortline. Larry, I'll exchange one with you when I get mine done. I think if we all stick to either MS Paint or MS Word as the standard, it would make it really easy to e-mail passes back and forth. Boy, I was just wondering how many envelopes and 4 cent (that's right, postage was 4 cents back then) I used up doing pass exchanges. I'm sure I had at least 100 at one time.

Still working on mine Larry. Not sure yet how I want it organized. I'm working on a freight bill too.

Josh I guess your freight car leasing program bombed out hey? Too bad that died out, I was looking forward to that. i was wanting to do something like that along with this RR pass thing too.

I'm still looking at that. Just trying to find a cheaper car too use, after loosing that Genesis car, I'm not willing to use a $20 car again!

As for passes, I've developed one. Still need to work on a freight bill.

Anyone who wants one, I have hard copies, just PM me an left me know.

I use Print Shop#12 to make all my RR passes, business cards, logo sheets, decals, layout signs, etc.
I've also made a lot of special designs for Tee shirts.

Larry

My father and I used to do this in the late 70s/early 80s. (His RR was Canadian HAJO Bay RR in case anyone has one). I'm hoping to find his collection in the old train room. I'd be very interested in getting back in to this but actually coming up with a road name would probably be first, right? :)

On a related note, did anyone ever swap rolling stock? That was another cool thing we did back then - I've been able to get most of those cars for my layout (still some left there). A number of them actually still have a small note enclosed or attached with the name and number of the original owner. It would be COOL to think someone out there is running one of our cars on their layout today. This is something I'd love to get in to again.

BTW, one of the cars in the collection is a Gorre and Daphetid ore car! Was this a common thing you could buy or could it be a trade car as well?

Mark

Jim,
If you need any idea's about your pass, just email me & I can probably help you w/ any special designs. Over the years I've probably designed about 150 diff. cards & passes. No charge. I just enjoy doing it. Sometimes it takes me about 2 or 3 hrs. to come up w/a design & then others I do in about 15 min.'s.:D

Larry

Mark, I've been interested in swapping rolling stock, but my problem is I have mostly modern stuff, and I've be sending out rolling stock from my dad's RR rather then mine (mine is prototype based).

RR Passes etc

Say Larry,
I've never done this before but it does sound interesting and a lot easier today with the desktop publishing programs available or intergrated into some
of the word processing programs.

I'll have to give it a try and make mine up. You said to email you but no address but I guess we could PM you too.

Say Josh,
You said:
I'm still looking at that. Just trying to find a cheaper car too use, after loosing that Genesis car, I'm not willing to use a $20 car again!
As for passes, I've developed one. Still need to work on a freight bill.
Anyone who wants one, I have hard copies, just PM me an left me know.

When you refer to loosing a car you are only refering to the fact the computer program won't recall it I'm assuming?

Btw I have Open Office myself and have tried to get the Data Base to work but must be doing something wrong although I'm not extremely familiar with using a DB but then again how complex can it be to use one and even try to put togethr a DB program like your talking about? Could I get your help?
If I can get the basics down I feel certain I could come up with something like you want as I have very high abstract reasoning. I also wanted to make up a car inventory rositer and delivery/ pick-up program for the various industries a person might have on their layout.
Drop me a note if you would.

My father and I used to do this in the late 70s/early 80s. (His RR was Canadian HAJO Bay RR in case anyone has one). I'm hoping to find his collection in the old train room. I'd be very interested in getting back in to this but actually coming up with a road name would probably be first, right? :)

On a related note, did anyone ever swap rolling stock? That was another cool thing we did back then - I've been able to get most of those cars for my layout (still some left there). A number of them actually still have a small note enclosed or attached with the name and number of the original owner. It would be COOL to think someone out there is running one of our cars on their layout today. This is something I'd love to get in to again.

BTW, one of the cars in the collection is a Gorre and Daphetid ore car! Was this a common thing you could buy or could it be a trade car as well?

Mark

Hi Mark,
I most always bought MDC cars and the Gore & Daphetid name was to commemorate the late John Allen of course and was something produced by MDC in somewhat limited quanties for a period of time but still available on ebay from time to time in various lots. I'm unsure if they are still making anymore of them or not? It seems that most of what I've seen comming out of MDC now is ready to run unfortunately as that was half the fun putting the engines and cars together.

Was the Ore car your talking about one of the short higher side cars or was it a drop bottom car or a regular low sided gondola?
Not sure if this is of any help or not??

My Father had a business two or three doors down from the Original MDC in Hawthorne, Ca. back in the '50's and I actually went there one time as a young boy and the RR tracks came very close and I was able to climb up into the cab of some Loco parked and steaming away there, I think they were taking pictures of it & or measurements of it?

Talk with you guys later,

Thanks for the offfer, Larry. I'll give it a shot myself first and probably turn to you when mine looks like a POS. :)

Hot off the press

Although my layout is in the embryo stages (we've acquired track rights, land and equipment) While I was waiting for my civil engineers reports, I came up with this. It's my first one so don't laugh, usually my secretary handles this stuff.;)

P.S. Thanks Larry, but I figured it out :)

Although my layout is in the embryo stages (we've acquired track rights, land and equipment) While I was waiting for my civil engineers reports, I came up with this. It's my first one so don't laugh, usually my secretary handles this stuff.;)

P.S. Thanks Larry, but I figured it out :)

That's a very nice looking pass. Down at the bottom it needs a lighter blue so it shows up. Is it postcard size or larger? I use postcard size because it fits in an envelope real easy.

Larry

Trussrod actually Josh spent a bit of time doing the "car swap" and one bad apple came about and never returned his car. I was next in line after Smoke to get the car. A real a bummer!

I thought about doing this and given it a shot.

I will probrably use a 50 footer of some sort...

Trussrod actually Josh spent a bit of time doing the "car swap" and one bad apple came about and never returned his car. I was next in line after Smoke to get the car. A real a bummer!

I thought about doing this and given it a shot.

I will probrably use a 50 footer of some sort...
This is correct...
Here's the one that got "lost":
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6172

Here's the NEW thread, when I get the car complete, it will be #1102 that travels around.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7352

I was actually thinking more of the "permanent" swap - you send me one, I send you one. It's cool because 25 years from now you can look back on the collection (like I'm doing right now :) ).

Mark

Back