railroad "game"

Q..Aprox how much water is evaporated per mile by large steam engines when at full throttel.

This answer does not have an exact number as there are to many vairables but I think its an impressive figure that alot of people would like to know!

Keith, your answer is very close. It was indeed, the VP, my mistake, and he had two main reasons why diesels wouldn't work for mainline service. The first was the drawbar efficiency and the second was that diesel fuel could rise as high as 15 cents a gallon (!), thereby making coal much cheaper and offsetting the increased servicing costs of steam. We now all know how well that prediction worked out. :)

Q..Aprox how much water is evaporated per mile by large steam engines when at full throttel.

This answer does not have an exact number as there are to many vairables but I think its an impressive figure that alot of people would like to know!

A.: Not sure there's one correct answer since some engines consumed huge amounts of water per hour but also didn't go very fast. For example, DM&IR Yellowstones consumed about 12,000 gallons per hour but rarely exceeded 35 mph in service. If we use the 35 mph figure, that would be about 343 gallons per mile. Other locomotive would consume proportionately high or lower amounts depending on speed and if the locomotive was superheated.

A.: Not sure there's one correct answer since some engines consumed huge amounts of water per hour but also didn't go very fast. For example, DM&IR Yellowstones consumed about 12,000 gallons per hour but rarely exceeded 35 mph in service. If we use the 35 mph figure, that would be about 343 gallons per mile. Other locomotive would consume proportionately high or lower amounts depending on speed and if the locomotive was superheated.

yep,there really is no right answer but its impressive to ponder what it takes to turn 343 gallons into steam in just one mile.

Figures I have heard were in the 150-250 gallons a mile with med steam engines pulling fast freight and passenger. One figure I never heard was for the big boys or challengers

Since I was close and there's no existing question, I'll ask one!

What railroad sold its Moberly, MO to Hannibal, MO line to the Wabash, giving the Wabash a straight line from Decatur to KC? This also helped to prevent the seller from ever reaching Chicago.

Keith Baker

I live in O'fallon too. So I should know this. I don't know for sure, but is it the Toledo, Wabash, and Western RWY.

No, that's not it. The Toledo, Wabash & Western was absorbed by the Wabash. The railroad in question was not.

Keith Baker

Q.: What was the only Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton diesel switcher ever equipped with factory-built dynamic brakes?

A. It was Medford Corporation's Baldwin S-8 switcher. They needed the dynamic brakes to pull long log trains down a grade. It was built in 1952.

Q. What company supplied the traction motors for the "Jawn Henry"?

Very good, Ryan, that was a tough question.

I know the Jawn Henry had GE traction motors and I believe the boiler was built by Babcock & Wilcox, based on their boilers built for US naval vessels.

Q.: What year did the production of all diesel locomotives exceed the production of all steam locomotives in the US?

DCCinstalled said:
A: 1935 ? I may be a bit early
I know thats too early because the FT came into production in 1939, and then WW2 lead to the production of many steam locomotives. It was after the war, that the diesel production picked up. My guess is 1946.

Good guesses but both are wrong. Think of all diesels versus all steam, including steam still being built by railroads.

Close, Ryan but it was 1952. Remember, many of the railroads were still producting their own steam locomotives, in addition to the last runs from Baldwin and ALCO. 1952 was the year that the railroads threw in the towel and started ordering diesels in large numbers.

Back