Railflyer Questions

macjet

I'm looking at their parts and they look great. Help a newbie out with some questions.

Does Railflyer have all the parts required to build an SD40-2?

Plastic core/etched metal parts. What exactly does this mean?

Where do the drives, trucks, and motors come from?

Any other info, tips, thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

Plastic core means just that, a core built with plastic parts, and its topped with etched brass parts, for better detail.

The longer frame (43'6") is an SD38-2/39-2/40-2/45-2 frame.

The motor & trucks are in development now.

The key to ordering (I think Christopher might benefit better if this was noted outside the bundle's info) is to order a bundle. The basic frame is here:
http://railflyermodelprototypes.mys...walkway-module-scale-profile-fuel-tank-bundle

the rest:
http://railflyermodelprototypes.mys...types?q=Locomotive+Building+Systems+-+Bundles

When you order, tell him what unit you intend to model, and he'll package the correct parts.

Sweet. I saw the clean air room parts and was wondering where the hoods and cab come from. The only cab I saw was a wide cab.

According to one of his posts on another site, he will have all the parts to complete a loco in about 2 years. Just about right for my modeling speed.

It sounds like a lot of your questions have been answered, but just to add my two cents... for the complete picture, definitely e-mail Christopher Howard: christopher@railflyermodelprototypes.com. One of the main things Railflyer has going for it is that you can contact them and get a quick detailed reply, from the owner no less.

Also, check out the building resources site: https://sites.google.com/a/railflyermodelprototypes.com/building-resources/ a number of us have posted photo's, build descriptions and instructions there, as well as prototype references.

Using a combination of mediums is really going to make these components stand out, Josh' description of the plastic hood core is spot on, essentially what you'll get are the good things about brass and plastic with fewer of the bad things. For example, the side sills pilots and steps are brass and are very strong and exactly to scale, other things though, like the knuckle busters on the hood are plastic so that you get the correct depth, something that is difficult to achieve with brass. I am working on a set of hood doors right now that will illustrate this concept nicely. I'll post some photo's once I've got them finished.

The trucks are currently under development and are expected to be really nice, scale width, equalized, with traction motor details, and possibly rotating bearing caps. They are still in an early stage though, so that's about all the info we've got.

To answer your original question about SD40-2's, the ultimate goal will be to offer a complete locomotive. Right now the concentration is on the EMD Dash 2 line of 4 and 6 axle diesels, but there are some components available for non-dash units (such as tread) and things like the frames and fuel tanks can be easily modified to fit almost any prototype size. Christopher formally announced Spartan cabs, and Stanchions last night, so hopefully they will be release shortly after the hoods. The Canadian wide cab is available now and the spartan cab will be similar in design. Cannon Cab's would also work fine if you don't want to wait for the Railflyer part.

Soon, it sounds like we'll be able to pre-order a full package that would include all the parts necessary to build a locomotive, which would then be shipped as they become available.

Before you go about ordering any parts, I'd recommend doing a very complete search on the various prototype photo sites for the locomotive you'd like to build. Try to find photo's of all sides of the unit if possible. Photo's of sister units which were part of the same order and were assembled at the same time can be helpful too as many of the basic details will be the same. Figure out on your own which Railflyer parts are correct for your prototype, then ask Christopher to come up with a list for your unit as well. Correlate the two lists and double check any differences. When I ordered my units Christopher caught some things I had missed, and I found a few he hadn't noticed. It sounds like a lot of work, but it's pretty interesting, as you suddenly begin to notice a lot of little details that aren't obvious unless you're specifically looking for them.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Chris
httP://milepost15.wordpress.com

Thanks for the info all.

I'll be building fictional SD40-2's for the modern day Rock Island. These are going to be later builds then the actual SD40-2's that the RI did buy. I'll probably just look to similar build years to get the details.

The comment about the company moving at their modeling speed equally applies to me. Probably about the time that I'm ready for additional pieces they'll be ready.

Thanks again.

If you need parts for hoods and cabs sooner, you can't go wrong with Cannon and Co.

Heck, I don't think its only the speed of modeling for me, but also the effort of affording it between all the good releases out there. Athearn announced more Maxi-I's, and budgeting for those and the 57' spines, Walthers 48' spines, Kato & IM Maxi-IV's, ect... Hard to do.

I see Christopher of Railflyer will be moving to Ontario this fall, to take up his previous work as a pilot. Noted so on one of the Yahoo Groups. While he probably won't have as much time to devote to the model end, it will make things better economically. I've known him for years, he used to live a few houses down the street from ours.

I placed my first order with Chris this weekend. I ordered most of the frame/walkway for an SD40-2. I had originally planned on building a fictional later build SD40-2 in the modern day RI. However, I've decided against that and I plan on building 4794 and 4799 as they were at shutdown (although not quite as dirty).

I've also read with great interest the addition of complete locomotives kits and the addition of the GP line.

Looking forward to starting this project.

Sweet, we've got another Railflyer build in the works! I think I should get off my butt and order more parts to start a GP build!

I received my Railflyer parts last weekend. Wow! This is going to be both challenging and fun. The detail that is going to be achieved with this system is unbelievable. I'm really looking forward to getting this project started.

As a side note I also pre-ordered the trucks and drive for my first SD40-2. I couldn't pass up the pre-order special.

One odd thing is that of the 10 SD40-2's that the RI had I can't find photos of 4794. This one seems to be AWOL.:confused:

Hawkeye, I've been reading your posts on milepost15. Great stuff. Thanks for such a valuable asset. Be prepared for a barrage of questions!

Back