Rack Railway

mr_yogurt

Has anybody ever made a model rack railway? After seeing this when looking up real life inclines, I was curious if anybody had ever made a model of one. It would be extremely cool, but also likely to be a pain to put together. So, has anybody here ever seen or made one? Do you guys think it's feasible?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rack_railway

Well I believe there is one somewhere in the USA, Mount (something or other) or maybe it's an incline RR that I'm sort of remembering. I do believe it is a tourist destination / attraction it's been a long time since I've seen anything advertising it. I don't believe many would be all that interested in modeling one but it certainly would be an interesting project
Willis

You might be thinking of the Mt. Washington Cog Railway in New Hampshire. They run a steam-powered excursion to the 6,000-foot summit of Mt. Washington several times per day from the end of April through November. In addition to steam, they also run bio-diesel locomotives up The Cog. It's quite a tourist attraction. Plenty of photos on their web site.

- Jeff

These's also one on Pike's Peak in Colorado. There was a discussion about these a couple of years back here. No one came forward knowledge of anyone modeling one. I think it would be cool but don't have spot for such a thing.

Mt. Washington now only make one run a week with the steamer on Sunday Mornings. All other daily trips are done with the diesels.

It would be very interesting to see someone make up a model cog.

ABT railway

G'day...We have an absolute ripper of a cog (third rail ) railway here on the West Coast of Tasmania , Australia...It runs through some of the most pristine rainforest wilderness anywhere on the planet and is a tourist train now and also used to run mine ore as well...in between Queenstown and Strahan .. was closed for a fair while until some enterprising people in the early nineties renovated it and made it one of our most iconic 'things to do' while visiting our state.
There's several good videos on You Tube....on the ABT Wilderness Railway...Not sure on if this or any other similar rail system is modelled though. Cheers Rod

Back