Quick question about NCE power cab system

Psapple83

Hey all,
I wasn't able to find anything in the forums on this, and I haven't yet been approved to join the NCE yahoo group, so I thought I'd ask you all.

I have an NCE power cab system and I want to be able to move my controller around. I do not need to be able to move the controller while the trains are running, just planning on having operating sessions from different sides of my layout table. I am not yet ready to buy the power booster, as I know that this allows walkaround, etc. I'm just plain talking about having 2 different plug in locations.

Is this as simple as buying the UTP Panel and an RJ12 cord leading from the original powered panel? or does the power cab always need to be connected to the ORIGINAL panel that came with the cab?

From what I remember of my NCE experience, the controller needs to be plugged in to the power station to work.

For what you describe, you need a second PCP (PowerCab Power Panel).

Connect your two track wires to both PCPs. When you want operate from the other PCP, turn off power to the layout, unplug the PowerCab from one PCP, plug the PowerCab into the other PCP, then turn on power to the layout.

If in doubt, ask NCE.

- Jeff

Ok thank you.

On a similar note- (I haven't used the NCE Power Cab yet) If I were to want to upgrade the power, buying a booster (SB3a OR the new SB5) is the route to go? OR the other option would be to return the Power Cab starter set and buy the NCE Power Pro.

Maybe I'm missing something- but the cost of going with the already 5amp upgraded power pro just isn't adding up to me:

NCE Power Cab starter set $150 + SB3a $125 + power supply $50 = $325

OR

NCE power pro set $419 = $419

So for almost $100 less, I get a better cab, the same amount of 5amp booster power, and less hassle?

In addition to this- i was reading on NCE's website and they said they do not recommend using the powerhouse pro booster in conjunction with the USB computer panel.
I'm so confused. Help!

I am not an expert on NCE, just a user of their fine products. I strongly recommend that you join the NCE-DCC discussion group on Yahoo.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NCE-DCC/

This group of more than 6,000 NCE DCC users is an amazing source of information and expertise. Any -- and I mean ANY -- question you have regarding any NCE product can be answered by the members of this group. The online archive of messages and files is great, too.

- Jeff

I am with you. But as I said earlier, I'm still waiting for the acceptance of my invite request. It's not an open invitation group.

The booster doesn't use the USB connection, it uses the older serial 9-pin cable. This is actually better for NCE than the newer USB, as the USB adaptor has limitations that the serial connection doesn't.

If you buy the Smart Booster, you can disconnect the Power Cab without having to turn off the power. At that point you can plug into another panel.

I expanded my PowerCab by purchasing the Smart Booster. I have two of the U panels that are daisy-chained together. Once you plug in the booster, your PowerCab is no longer just a PowerCab and no longer has to be plugged in to work. Very happy I did it.

I expanded my PowerCab by purchasing the Smart Booster. I have two of the U panels that are daisy-chained together. Once you plug in the booster, your PowerCab is no longer just a PowerCab and no longer has to be plugged in to work. Very happy I did it.
saving my pennies so I can do the same :D

Maybe I'm missing something- but the cost of going with the already 5amp upgraded power pro just isn't adding up to me:

NCE Power Cab starter set $150 + SB3a $125 + power supply $50 = $325

OR

NCE power pro set $419 = $419

So for almost $100 less, I get a better cab, the same amount of 5amp booster power, and less hassle?..

There are some major differences between a Power Cab + SB3a and the Power Pro:
The SB3a is limited to four cabs, the Power Pro can have up to 63.
The Power Pro has a built-in RS-232 port, the SB3a requires the USB adapter, which also takes a cab slot.
The Power Pro can have 250 trains running at time, the SB3a can have 12. The Power Pro can have 127 advanced consists stored in memory, the SB3a can have 16.
You can not use AIU(Auxillary Input Unit)'s with the SB3a.
There may be other differences, but these are the ones I can think of off hand.

Looks like the new smart booster (SB5) is going for $220 MSRP (with a power source)

Anyone know if its any different than the SB3a?..

From reading the description, the improvements over the SB3a are:
Six cabs instead of four
Three cab bus accessories in addition to the six cabs, so the USB and Mini panel do not displace cabs.
Allows use of AIU's.

Looks like it is basically the upgraded command station software now available for the Power Cab.

Thank you for the information on this!

I'm almost positive that none of these will apply to me now or in the future. My understanding is that AIU has to do with signaling. I never plan on having any more than 1 extra cab + USB interface.
In addition, since this is a home layout just for myself, 12 running locos is plenty enough for me(probably more than enough), as well as the 16 consists.

What's important to me is the power boost and the 6 recalls. As well as walkaround without having to spend the money on radio.

Back