quick first impression on QSI sound in atlas gold dash8

tankist

so i got an engine with said system in a trade with member on this forum. (thanks again, buddy!). those who own these decoders will not read anything new here (and probbaly chuckle "oh yeah, he gets now") but here is my impression. while QSI is noticeably lighter on base then BLI sound equipped engines, the functionality is several steps above.

Dynamic brakes - they will not start unless the engine is above certain speed, and will stop as soon as engine slows down to point where they no longer efficient. meaning that engineer navigating down the slope with dynamic brakes on, will not need to bother shutting them off manually as he reaches the bottom. (i would think most people probably know what dynamic brakes are)

3 states of shutdown. i absolutely love that instead of shutting the engine completely i can leave it on low idle. and when on low idle (or completely shut down) the engine will not respond to any engine commands - flicking the throttle by mistake will not move it until start-up sequence is complete.sound of doors closing when engineer leaves or enters the cold engine is a bonus. there s also a mode with high idle engine disconnect (sound of revving engine while the loco stays put) but i'm not sure where that would be used

Engine labor acceleration momentum is required and feature works best with a considerable setting. wile just playing back power notches and transition from one notch to another is nice, this decoder will produce sounds of laboring engine as it accelerates to set notch and usual cruise sound as it actually reaches it.

Air Brake !!! can be experienced best with deceleration momentum set to large value. as the engine decelerates at set momentum, enabling air-brake besides turning on the sound of released air, will actually increase braking effort. proportionally even! meaning that the longer the air brake was was enabled the faster engine will stop (as if it actually released more air ). the sound of screeching brakes as the engine is near stop comes on automatically and stops just before the engine actually stops

audio CV readback with the extra power needed to program the engine it can only be programmed in OP mode meaning that normally one will not be able to read CV values from decoder - as if programming blindly. so to confirm value assignment engine actually announces it in spoken words. it even has function to announce vocally values of any other CV of choice. what a save of situation!
i love the fact one can ask the engine to announce its ID and consist ID.
manual says it should also announce its scale speed while moving but for some reason that feature i could not turn on yet. time to download QSI manual

some other smaller neat surprises are there as well.

so, while expensive, QSI system is simply mind-blowing.

ADD:
so to liven this post a bit below is a picture of the engine boasting the system
(never emagined atlases are quiet to the point of less then whisper quiet), enjoy
DSC_4647-vi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very glad you enjoy this engine! I told you that you wouldn't be disappointed! Looks great on your layout, BTW! Hope it gets worked quite a bit...Happy rails man!

-Rich

I agree! I like the Atlas QSI better then my Genesis's. So much I am going to pick up 2 CSX dash 8's this week! lol

3 states of shutdown. i absolutely love that instead of shutting the engine completely i can leave it on low idle. and when on low idle (or completely shut down) the engine will not respond to any engine commands - flicking the throttle by mistake will not move it until start-up sequence is complete.sound of doors closing when engineer leaves or enters the cold engine is a bonus. there s also a mode with high idle engine disconnect (sound of revving engine while the loco stays put) but i'm not sure where that would be used.
The high idle simulates pumping up the air in a long train, and you can manually turn on the compressor (IIRC F4) to complete the illusion.

QSI Sound: Resale Value

Thanks for posting your experience with the QSI sound system. I purchased two or three Atlas Gold units equipped with QSI, not because I'm running DCC or prefer sound but because they were the only remaining units available.

That said, I'm likely going to remove the sound systems from the units once my layout is complete, so I'm wondering if the QSI equipment has any resale value?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Yep, sure does! What prime mover sounds are they? EMD or GE? how much are you trying to get for each?

-Rich

Hi Rich,

All of my trains are HO scale; one QSI unit is in an Atlas Gold MP15DC, and one (or maybe two more) is in an Atlas Gold Dash 8-40C. Both are brand new at this point.

I really don't know where to price them yet, and I haven't even begun the removal process. I'm thinking the MP15 sound unit might be a little more valuable though since it can fit into the small confines of the switcher body.

following up with quick Video doodle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxqNC93qe08&hd=1

had clear "script" to follow in mind but when i actually took the cam it evaporated. so i shot bunch of random shots... need to start to write things down. first experiment with pulling focus, hard to do without proper focusing ring and i guess video monitor (which i don't have )would be useful here. and as always i really could use better lighting, or at least set manual WB...
when my layout takes better shape i will try to approach this in more serious way.

Back