Question on benchwork

High Speed Kurt

Gone Railin!
Hi All,

I am getting ready to build the frame for my staging yard, it's going to be 20 feet long, 2.5 feet wide. This yard will be 18 inches below the main level. For the main level I used a laser level to get my base height around the room.

Anyways, for the lower staging level and all benchwork, I plan on using 1x3's. For the cross pieces, I know a good standard to use is 16 inches on center. I also bought t-nuts and leveling feet for the legs (going to use 2 x 2's)

My question is, how far apart do the legs need to be spaced. I don't want to over-do it, but want to make sure there is enough support. I was thinking every other cross section, so basically every 32 inches there is a leg.

Thoughts?

I do appreciate the help. My last layout I had I was 15 when it was built and we actually paid a carpenter to do the bench-work (he did the enclosure) He got the whole thing up in a day.

Kurt

Kurt:

Legs spaced 32 inches apart should be fine and be sure to use heavy duty fasteners to attach the legs to the frame work to prevent the legs from moving. I would attach the legs to the cross pieces using 1/4 inch lag bolts.

Kurt:

Legs spaced 32 inches apart should be fine and be sure to use heavy duty fasteners to attach the legs to the frame work to prevent the legs from moving. I would attach the legs to the cross pieces using 1/4 inch lag bolts.

Good call on that. Are cross braces necessary for stability as well? I am thinking no because it will be 20 feet long, that weight should stay pretty stable. (especially with the plywood on top)

What are your estimated weights for the sections you are going to build and what do you plan to use for the top of the sections, for example; plywood, foam board, open grid, etc. A four foot span with proper diagonal bracing should be able to support a great deal of weight. Also, I would recommend using bolts and nuts with flat and lock washers rather than lag bolts for attaching the legs. You will need to drill holes for lag bolts that are the correct size to prevent splitting of the wood but the wood may split anyway because of the expansion forces of the lag bolt (giant screw) as it bites into the wood. With bolts and nuts you will not cause the wood to possibly split because the hole will be sized for the bolt to fit through without forcing it.

Are cross braces necessary for stability as well? I am thinking no because it will be 20 feet long, that weight should stay pretty stable.

Definitely use cross braces if this is not attached to the wall. If it is free standing it WILL wobble and sway in all directions without braces. Use lag bolts for attaching the frame to the walls and use nuts and bolts for the legs and braces for all free standing sections and you will have a good solid layout.

Kurt:

Yes, I would recommend using cross braces even when using plywood for the top. Use 1X3 stock laid horizontal at the spots the sheet of plywood meet to prevent movement and vertical 1X3's at 16 to 24 inches. I would also attach the bench work to the wall for stability. I used three inch wood screws to attach my layout to the walls. Three screws per stud.

Use a four foot level to check the bench top for no pitch. I used a 18 inch level and have one spot where the cars can free roll a bit before stopping.

Thanks.

Greg

Kurt:

By cross bracing, I mean the top support frame work and not the legs, however, cross bracing the legs may not be necessary if you attach the bench work to the wall. The top bracing will be required to secure the plywood over the length of the frame work to prevent the plywood from warping or trying to bow.

Thanks.

Greg

I was talking about cross bracing the legs. I figured on attaching the layout to the wall for stability (although it will be hard because my sheetrock and paintwork was so nice) lol. I fully intended on using 1x3 for the support frame.

Back