Question about working with foam board and paper

ScottoT

Hi guys, I've committed myself to using 1" foam board on top of 1/4" plywood as the top for my benchwork. As you can see in this picture below. 34755241_10216473360777311_1799115234258976768_n.jpg

I am printing out my track plan and placing it on to the foam, to ensure I have the track cut, and placed where I want it according to design.

This leaves me with a few questions, that I hadn't considered prior to making these decisions. But, I have to make the best of it now.

Will leaving the paper (standard sheets of 8 x 11" ) on the foam cause me problems down the line?

If it will, knowing what I have done, what do you recommend (knowing I will have lots of suggestions) I do to "transfer" the track plan to the foam, if leaving the paper down as a template is not and advisable option?

Once again, thanks for your helpful ideas and suggestions as I use your expertise on getting further along in this build.

I haven't tried it, but ive seen it done. I have seen people lay out the plan, tape it in place, and basically trace t out with a sewing wheel (don't know if its the proper term) remove the plans, than just connect the dots with a marker. I don't know if leaving the paper down is a good idea. Will you get a good glue joint to the foam, and will it affect scenery, or ballast?

Here is the tool I was referring to:

1530574816598.png

Thanks Mike. I was thinking that might be an idea or something like it. I appreciate your suggestion.

I haven't tried it, but ive seen it done. I have seen people lay out the plan, tape it in place, and basically trace t out with a sewing wheel (don't know if its the proper term) remove the plans, than just connect the dots with a marker. I don't know if leaving the paper down is a good idea. Will you get a good glue joint to the foam, and will it affect scenery, or ballast?

Here is the tool I was referring to:

View attachment 28904
My next step is figuring out what the best adhesive to use to glue my track to the foam (in the yards) and the cork roadbed to the foam insulation for the mainlines.

My next step is figuring out what the best adhesive to use to glue my track to the foam (in the yards) and the cork roadbed to the foam insulation for the mainlines.
Easy answer on that one: DAP Alex Plus siliconized latex caulk. You will need a caulk gun for it, but those don't cost much. This caulk goes down white, but dries clear. There are also some version of it that are colored, but get the clear drying type. It won't show through the ballast.
https://www.menards.com/main/paint/...us-silicone-10-1-oz/18156/p-1444428682490.htm

Easy answer on that one: DAP Alex Plus siliconized latex caulk. You will need a caulk gun for it, but those don't cost much. This caulk goes down white, but dries clear. There are also some version of it that are colored, but get the clear drying type. It won't show through the ballast.
https://www.menards.com/main/paint/...us-silicone-10-1-oz/18156/p-1444428682490.htm

That is really what I was looking for! Thank you. There's a menards just down the street

For attaching the roadbed to the foam. lay a thin bead down the centerline and spread it thin with a putty knife. Weight the cork down until it dries. For attaching the track to the cork, use a little bit every foot or so. Spread it thin. Weight the track down. If using flex track in curves you may want to use it a bit more often, but it doesn't take much.

All good advice Scotto and I would second using some form of latex caulk/adhesive for laying both your roadbed and track. I have always used Hard As Nails Project Adhesive, but there are numerous other varieties.

With regards your question about whether or not leave the "paper" in place with the roadbed and track on top of it. If you can get around that, I would for the following reasons:

1. Gluing your roadbed directly to the foam is going to give you a much more secure bond than gluing it paper laid out on the foam., even if you glue the paper down.

2. Probably more importantly, your track plan is bound to change a little, from what s on paper, when being actually laid. Those changes maybe as small as changing a radius by 1/2" or similar. If that happens, your paper plan becomes redundant.

3. Another option, albeit more time consuming, is to lay out your track plan using your paper plan as a guide. Once laid, mark the "center" of the track every 6" inches. Move the track work to one side and "join" your centre points, that will be your guide for laying your Roadbed, making sure you lay one half of the roadbed on either side of that guide line.

Back