Question about Lionel Power Pack my Dad left me

Gornza

My dad died and left me a bunch of Lionel trains (O Gauge) from the 1960s. Part of it was a LIONEL Power Pack (red) model 4550. It says max output 6 watts. Made in Hong Kong. Is this safe to use?

Probably, but you should take it apart and check all the wiring. I think they were still using cloth covered wiring then and it deteriorates with age and can cause shorts. If the wire is in bad shape, it can be raplced with modern wiring. Those old AC transformers were pretty much bulletproof except for the deteriorating wire issue.

What's weird is my friend seems to think this is a HO transformer because it has DC going to tracks. Is that a problem?

Your friend is right. I should have looked up the model number. It's a Lionel HO power pack so that's why it has DC going to the tracks. You cannot run Lionel O or 027 trains with this power pack. Are you sure the cars you have are really O scale? Seems odd that he wold have O scale trains and an HO scale power pack. If they really are O scale, you'll need to buy an O scale transformer. They are readily available on e-bay.

Back