Question about Athearn trains & track systems

Alex Butner

Also, are the Athearn GP35 locomotives & Ready to roll freight cars good for their cost. Also, what is a great roadbed track system that looks realistic & is relatively easy to find. Thank you,
Alex Butner

They are great for their price! I simply love running my friend Great Northern GP35 around for switching and mainline freights! I prefer track I lay than roadbed track systems but you may want to check out Kato's Uni-Track.

Hello, Alex, and Welcome Aboard!

The newer Athearn RTR engines and cars are very good values for the price. The bay window caboose is a model of an SP prototype and, although it's a good loking model, you might want to check out Walthers RTR Platinum line of Bay window cabooses. They are International Car Company prototypes and were much more common than the Athearn model. Don't overlook the Bachmann Spectrum line of locomotives. They are also very nicely detailed and good bang for the buck.

There really isn't any track and roadbed system that looks realistic. As Alex said, the Kato Uni-Track is the best operating of the track systems but you're going to pay through the nose. Assuming you intend to build a layout, you can get a lot more for your money by using Atlas Code 83 track and either cork or foam roadbed. The Atlas track comes with good looking brown ties and you can buy it with the track preweathered. The only thing you have to do is ballast, which may appear daunting at first, but is really not difficult. Your track will look much better doing it this way than buying any track system.

Micro Engineering also makes a superior flex track, with the added benefit of not being springy, so it'll hold its shape in curves. It is more expensive however, and does come pre-weathered also.

Hello, Alex, and Welcome Aboard!

The newer Athearn RTR engines and cars are very good values for the price. The bay window caboose is a model of an SP prototype and, although it's a good loking model, you might want to check out Walthers RTR Platinum line of Bay window cabooses. They are International Car Company prototypes and were much more common than the Athearn model. Don't overlook the Bachmann Spectrum line of locomotives. They are also very nicely detailed and good bang for the buck.

There really isn't any track and roadbed system that looks realistic. As Alex said, the Kato Uni-Track is the best operating of the track systems but you're going to pay through the nose. Assuming you intend to build a layout, you can get a lot more for your money by using Atlas Code 83 track and either cork or foam roadbed. The Atlas track comes with good looking brown ties and you can buy it with the track preweathered. The only thing you have to do is ballast, which may appear daunting at first, but is really not difficult. Your track will look much better doing it this way than buying any track system.
Ahem? Alex?:p

The Genesis line of locos and cars are also really good,I like what I see of the MP15AC and the F units and their line of freight cars.

Alex,

We carry all of the track/roadbed combos... I would suggest the Atlas true-track... The nice thing about it is that the track can be removed from the plastic roadbed if you wanted to convert to a more realistic look in the future...

Also, are the Athearn GP35 locomotives & Ready to roll freight cars good for their cost.

I have recently bought my very first Athearn SF F-7 and I love it, it is well worth the price and runs good and strong, a good buddy of mine at another train site helped me pick the A&B unit out and he shipped it out to me.

When I received it I couldn't beleive the quality, up too this point I only had Model power, Tyco and another lower end locomotives when I did a comparrison I was amazed.

And I must add that they are tough, while my Grand son was running it with no cars behind it he gave it a little too much speed on a curve and it went flying (I hadn't had the sides on the layout yet) and it went crashing to the tile floor, The body did come apart from the frame and the tiny port hole window glasses poped out BUT it all went back together and it was as if it didn't happen.

PS. They are also easy to work on and fix.

I will always sing the phrases of Athearn products after that day.

Until I can afford even higher end products for the price ($80.00) for the A & unpowered B unit) I'll buy only Athearn.

Hope this unofficial endorcement is not conciderd advertising???
And keep in mind that I'm also new to the hobby.

I just ordered myself an Athearn RTR EMD F59PHI, and my LHS (Perry's Hobbies, Morgan, MN) was very nice and has a great discount system! From the MSRP of $79.98, down to a perfect price of $55.00 (Not including taxes, and shipping), which is perfect because that about what my gift certificate is for. Not to mention the F59PHI is near the actual scale weight of the real thing and it can pull 50 passenger cars like nothing to it! My friend has 3 of them and just loves how they run, they are very quiet as well!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back