Question about air pressure

ThoroughBreed

Dcc~detail~diesel freak
I got this Campbell Hausfield 1/2 HP 2 gallon compressor from Wally world for only $55 on clearance. It came with a 10' hose and a bunch of attachments. I was lucky enough that my current airbrush setup mated up perfectly to it without any extra adapters needed. I do need to get a filter for the line to keep moisture out, but otherwise its a great buy for $55.
So, how much pressure do I need for the airbrush setup? I think anything over 5lbs would be too much dont you?
Please let me know about any of you whom have done this with a compressor that wasnt meant for airbrushing.
Thanks, Eric aka ThoroughBreed
cool.gif

I use something in the range of 20-30psi! The less pressure, the closer you have to be to the model...

Compressors that are sold for airbrushes are just smaller versions of standard air compressors. As long as you can contol the pressure, it will work fine. As Josh said, 25-30 psi is the normal pressure for spraying. Five psi would be far too low.

As Jim said a compressor is a compressor. Size only has to do with volume needed to keep up with the tool on the end of the hose. Airbrushes aren't high volume tools so all that matters is the ability to regulate the pressure which you seem to have on your unit.
One benefit of a compressor with a decent size tank is you have enough capacity to avoid running the compressor when painting while others are sleeping when the noise mught get you hit with a frying pan or worse. Just run it during the day to fill the tank for the evening.
I have a Paasche H and a VL that I've used for over 30 years and set the regulator for between 15 and 22 lbs depending on what I am putting through it. Basically the thinner the paint the less pressure I find I need. Higher pressures will blow the paint further but my experience has been it also causes some paints to lay down dryer than I would like. In the end it is a matter of what works best for you and the products you run through the airbrush.

I use from 10-20 psi with Floquil paints, depending on how thin it is for weathering or painting. To much thinner with too much air and the paint is dry before it hits and leaves it looking like dust hit the car.

If the paint is too thick and not enough air, the airbrush spits, sputters, and clogs easily.

IF I use water based paints, which is hardly ever, I will use 25-35 psi.

Remember, there is no right or wrong amounts of thinner and/or air. You'll start with our suggestions and come to your own conclusions and preferences. ;)

Back