Quantum Revolution decoders

hi guys
im looking for a sound decoder for some of my locomotives and thought about the quantum revolution decoders

can anyone say a word about the Revolution decoders? are they good?

Very. They should come to you programmed for the very engine you intend to manage via the decoder. Or, you can get a programmer and do it yourself using sound files.

The best Sound decoder out there in my opinion. I've got a couple of them and invested in the programmer too. It works so much better then the Digitrax one I had such high hopes for :(

My only complaint with the Revolution decoder is the on board resistors... If you want to run two 1.5v bulbs for headlights, you'll need to be VERY good with a soldering iron to change out the surface mount resistors, but at least QSI will send you the new ones for free! The easier solution is to use LEDs for the lights, thats what I did, works very well.

Depending on where you get your decoders from, as Selector mentioned, you can have them pre-programmed for the engine you want. I know Tony's train exchange will do that for you.

I have two Revolutions and three locos with factory installed QSI. Programmer is a worthwhile investment if you plan on having several QSI in the fleet. It makes it a lot easier to program some of the more complex CVs.

QSI sound is very good, especially the horns. Motor control is also very good, slow speed performance is great on the ones I have.

FWIW, the QSI programmer will also work with JMRI Decoder Pro. Although it WILL NOT read back CVs on non-QSI decoders, you can use it to program them. I've read that the QSI CV manager will allow you to program Tsunami, but I don't have a Tsunami to try it on.

Here's a factory installed decoder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhHpRGTLI0s

The Revolution sounds the same, but it far more flexible than the factory installed boards.

Selector, do you have any experience with them?

Not yet. However, I know two people who do a lot of DCC and decoder work for pay, and they swear by the Revolutions. One of the two is a good friend only 90 minutes away from me who has installed all of my do-it-yourself decoders and sound. He has a Revolution in one engine, and is putting one in a Genesis SD75 for me. The other guy posts to another forum and seems to be very positive about the Revolutions.

I hope that still qualifies as an endorsement.

Hey bigford...

The only real option in n scale is a few MRC decoders, or Micro-Tsunamis in some steam engines...

The Revs are much to large for anything in N...

The QSI sound decoders are definitely up there with the best!

Revolutions are amazing. But their GE and Turbocharged EMD sounds are generic sounding. The only EMD sound I've heard on the Revolutions that sounds remotely like a Turbocharged EMD is the GP20 sounds. Otherwise I love QSI's motor control and sounds. Their horns are the best available (other than my own ;)). If you want a good EMD 710 sound, GE FDL, or EMD 645 Turbo, you'll have to go with Soundtraxx Tsunami. I don't know if this is a good analogy or not, but the Tsunami's are orgasmic. :p

Back