QSI Titan speaker options for heavy steam

lmackattack

old school
I bought 2 QSI Titan decoders and need to get some speakers.. I have plenty of room in the tender for one large or 2 large speakers.....I see that you can adjust the certain sounds to emit from one or 2 speakers....or if using dual speakers you can isolate say the bell to emit from only one speaker...

What's the thought with current speakers...I have not installed one in 2 few years...anything new out there I should know about? In past I just used tsunami with single baffled speakers and they work great...

I bought 2 QSI Titan decoders and need to get some speakers.. I have plenty of room in the tender for one large or 2 large speakers.....I see that you can adjust the certain sounds to emit from one or 2 speakers....or if using dual speakers you can isolate say the bell to emit from only one speaker...

What's the thought with current speakers...I have not installed one in 2 few years...anything new out there I should know about? In past I just used tsunami with single baffled speakers and they work great...

You're going to get a lot of opinions, so I'll start. My next project is going to be Challenger 3985. I am going to use 2 HB speakers in the tender in a isobaric setup, 1 20mm HB speaker in the cab, and 1 18 by xx? under the stacks. if I were only going in the tender I wouldn't use anything but HB's. The new cell phone/tablet speakers look promising but I'm not exactly sure what their frequency response are. I look for the lowest possible, but that's only preference. I would use the stereo option on the Titan since it's there. Try to find a way to put one in the loco itself and play the bell, whistle, and a little chuff through it. Then put 1 or 2 HB's in the tender for the low end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I installed one of my Titan steam decoders into my atsf 2-10-4 . I also used dual 1" speakers. I opted to use a small and large baffle. I like how how the QSI has some different options vs the tsunami. I think it gives you some more adjustability of sounds and volume control. I haven't messed with the lighting outputs as all I need is the headlight with steam. I don't like how difficult it is to change cv tho....alot of sound settings require you to enter 3 different cv entries to get what you want. This is where the tsunami still holds the candel.

I think the sound quality is not any better it just has some more options...

Just my .02

I have used jmri at the club but that's it...how hard is it to set up? I have a loco buffer just never got past that.

I have been using the MRC speakers, surpised me, good volume. I swap them in from the default digitrax speakers.
I havent tried the JMRI, I have it. I always just use the throttle, QSI has their own programmer/software that can do that.
reading the CV's is whats needed, and as you know the manufactures have their proprietary methods. depends if you can use like the digitrax PR3 and the programming track with JMRI.

I wouldn't dare try to program anything but a simple 2 function decoder on the throttle. JMRI does it all with a mouse click. Plus it saves all the info as a separate file as part of a roster. I think I have over 150 files other than my own engines. Nice thing is, if the decoder gets fried, or looses its mind a quick download from the roster reprograms the decoder in just a few seconds.

I wouldn't even think about doing speed tables for speed matching without it.

Back