QSI Mini Oval Speaker and Mni Oval Enclosure

i bought a QSI mini oval speaker and a QSI mini oval enclosure to go with it at my LHS.

When I tried to fit the speaker in the enclosure, it wouldn't go. The speaker just sort sits on top.

Is the speaker supposed to fit down into the enclosure? If so, is the enclosure designed so that you're supposed to trim it back so the speaker can fit in?

This has me puzzled. Thanks for any help.

Hi Ken Portner,

I just received the very same speaker and enclosure this week, and the speaker cannot sit into the enclosure as there is a step there, it just sits about half way in with the solder tabs facing up, it will not go in if the solder tabs are inside, at least the 2 I have will not, so I guess it is meant to just sit in half way.

Hi Ken Portner,

I just received the very same speaker and enclosure this week, and the speaker cannot sit into the enclosure as there is a step there, it just sits about half way in with the solder tabs facing up, it will not go in if the solder tabs are inside, at least the 2 I have will not, so I guess it is meant to just sit in half way.

It's meant to sit in with the solder tabs facing out? Doesn't that mean the face of the speaker would be facing into the enclosure? How would the sound get out?

Thanks.

I couldn't get it to sit into the enclosure with the solder tabs inside, so I've sent an Email to QSI and waiting to hear from them, in the meantime I've have installed it in my loco without any enclosure and it seems to work fine, I think that I will probably change it for the HB90S QSI High Bass Speaker as I have used these with my other QSI decoders and they produce a good sound. Sorry that I can't be more helpful, but I'll wait until I hear from QSI.

Hi ken,

Here is the Email that I received Back:

First off we DO recommend mounting that speaker with the solder tabs on
the outside of the enclosure, this makes sure that you won't get any
interferance with the movement of the speaker cone.
We've seen this issue, our speaker vendor changed the outer dimension
on us ever so slightly with our last order. The solution is to take a
hobby knife and run it around the edge of the encolsure until the
speaker can seat completely. I have been taking a rubber like cement
(Walthers "Goo" specifically) and running a very small bead around the
edge of the enclosure in order to get an even better seal in the
enclosure. We're trying to decide whether to take this up with the
speaker vendor or simply have the outfit which makes our enclosures
adjust their machinery to accomodate the new size, we don't want to
have them do this if the vendor is suddenly going to ship us the old
size again because then the enclosure will be too large, which there is
no modification for!

Weird. I've never heard of facing the speaker into the enclosure. Have you tried it this way? Can you hear anything? Anyone else have any experience with this?

Hi Ken,

It will work Ok, if you look at MRC Sound Decoders, they have the enclosure over the front of the speaker, I have done this with Digitrax sound decoders and it works ok.
Here is a pic of the MRC decoder:

The QSI oval speaker and enclosure sounds like the last one I installed in a small steam loco. Yes the speaker points into the enclosure with the solder tabs exposed. Yes, it sounds fine and is plenty loud.
It really doesn't matter which side of the speaker cone is out since sound waves come off both sides of the cone, just 180° phase difference. Which is one reason the enclosure is required to produce good sounds and volume.

The QSI oval speaker and enclosure sounds like the last one I installed in a small steam loco. Yes the speaker points into the enclosure with the solder tabs exposed. Yes, it sounds fine and is plenty loud.
It really doesn't matter which side of the speaker cone is out since sound waves come off both sides of the cone, just 180° phase difference. Which is one reason the enclosure is required to produce good sounds and volume.

I tried it and you're right. Sounds fine and fits fine that way.

I wish my LHS had told me this before I spent so much effort yesterday trying to figure out how to get it to fit solder tabs down. In fact, they told me i needed to drill holes in the enclosure the fit the wires in. I guess I'll let them know that they've got it backwards.

Back