PRR Baldwin V0100 & V0660 colors

Timboy

Timboy
Hi Guys,

I am looking for the color description of the Baldwin VO1000 and VO660 switchers in use on the PRR in the 40's. The color was a dark blue, but I don't know which dark blue to order from Testors.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Tim Brown

Hey Tim, Welcome to the forum.

I don't think the VO-1000 or any PRR equipment had a blue color to them. They were mainly Tuscan Red, Brunswick Green, or Black. And Brunswick Green was joking said to be "a 55 gallon drum of black with a drop of green added".:D

Here's some shots I found on the net.
ja-r266.jpg

ja-r541.jpg

prr9275.jpg

And some models
PennsyBaldwinVO-1000Diesel.jpg

VO-1000.jpg

Vo1_0212.jpg

Here's what I did with the Stewart model I have. I add a DCC decoder and switched out the factory light and added a light over the cab door.
100_2025.jpg

100_2029.jpg

The start of some weathering.
100_2038.jpg

100_2051.jpg

100_2054.jpg

100_2060_edited.jpg

100_2062.jpg

I have since finished the railings and weathering on this one, but I don't have any pix of it.

Here's one more I found. It looks like a refurbished one in 2007.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=214695
This is a great site to find all kinds of rail photos. The search engine is great.
I hope any of this come in handy.

Hi Ron,

That is a fabulous reply. Thank you so much. Most of those colors look black to my eye. Well, what could be more simple than that. Goes to show that you can have any PRR color you want, as long as it's black or tuscan. I love the painting & weathering you have done on your model and it's a total inspiration to me. I modify old tinplate American Flyer to more modern standards for my own little (12X32) RR.

Thanks again,
Tim Brown

here's a baldwin working for the southern railroad company of NJ. Genuine PRR baldwin repainted back to original livery.

SRNJ Baldwin

if you search that photogs gallery he has many many more.

My grandmother used to work of the Pennsy in Cleveland so I got to go down to the shops a lot. I was about 10 years old and the shop was taking delivery of a brand new SW-7. It still had EMD paperwork in the cab and I remember reading that the paint was "Brunswick Green". I went to the shop foreman and told them EMD must have painted the engine the wrong color because it wasn't green. That got a good laugh all over the shop. :)

A glossy black color will do just fine for your Pennsy switcher.

Back