Proto 1000 Milwaukee Road C-liner

jasonelki

Milwaukee Roader
Proto 1000 Milwaukee Road C-liner/Different color scheme?

First post on the forum, so I hope this is the right place to ask, if not I'm sure someone will let me know!!

After searching this sight as well as the net without much luck, I'd like to know some info on the Proto 1000 series. First off I have a Milw Road RSC-2 proto 1000 which I purchased a few months ago and it is very nice. There is a proto 1000 milw road C-liner on ebay right now for sale, but for the life of me I can't find out when they released these models. The current asking price is ~$44, so it doesn't seem like a bad deal, as the RSC-2 was $60. In searching for this I've seen a few different color schemes. I am a fan of the ebay model, Item number: 130272345128 if anyone is interested in looking. I've checked on the Walthers website, but their search tool is a bear.

Anyone have this particular loco?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do a search under "PROTO 1000 C-LINER " you will get more choices on price. This is a good product as for when they released these it was approx 5 years ago. They are out of production. They came in a set of 3--- A B C units with corresponding numbers as you will see when you do a new search as I mentioned earlier...

good luck on on your search! and by the way...Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the search info. For some reason I don't understand the difference in colors on some of the models. For example, if you google proto 1000 c-liner, look at the difference in color between the first loco and the fourth one down. Is the color dif because of the road number? Maybe I'm missing something very basic here.
Either way I like the color scheme on the 4th one down compared to the other.
Thanks for the welcome, I'm sure I'll have more dumb questions!

:DNo such thing as a dumb question here... we are all here for the same reasons to learn from each other...

as for the color difference: They are because of the these 2 you are looking at are from 2 different Railroad Companies the 1st one being New York Central and the 2nd one (4th one down) being Milwaukee Road. They will have various road numbers on there number boards and various colors depending on the RR company. For example I model Union Pacific and the vast majority of the locos are Armour Yellow and Harbor Mist Grey for diesels locos.

Ask away with your questions and if I cant answer them someone here will...:D

Thanks Alco, maybe your search shows up different than mine, but I can see 2 different color schemes, both Milwaukee Road, and they are different, one has a burgundy stripe and the other is just black and orange.
I typed in Proto 1000 C-liner with the "shopping" tab clicked at the top.
The first 2 are Milw Rd, the 3rd is NYC and the 4th is again Milw Road.
Figured out how to add photos, here they are, don't know why the color scheme difference, they are both proto 1000 series, the only diff is the road numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason, welcome aboard. You're seeing two different paint schems used on the same engine. When the C-Liner's were first delivered, they were in the maroon and orange passenger scheme to match the MLW's passenger trains cars, since they were used on a few passenger trains. By 1966, they were used only in freight service and were repainted in the simplified orange and black scheme as they came in for major shopping. So, it depends on what era you're modeling. You'd see the orange and maroon from delivery in 1951 through about 1967. The orange and black would be what was running after 1967 until they were sold for scrapping in the mid-70's.

Excellent info, thank you very much for clearing it up. I'm pretty new to modeling, so I might not be too specific yet, all I know is the loco with the maroon stripe is better on the eyes!!
Thanks again!

You're welcome, Jason. I agree, the earlier MILW scheme is a lot more attractive than the boring orange. Unfortunately, the MILW was in dire financial straits by 1970 so they were doing everything they could to save money including simplifying paint schemes. None of it worked as the road filed for bankruptcy in 1977 and most of this former great railroad was totally abandoned by 1980. :(

Back