proposed layout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motley said:
I should've kept my mouth shut.
I'll let the reported posts and mods handle this.

OK guys, enough is enough. If y'all have to continue, and I recommend against it, take it to PM. I have cleaned this thread up. Time to get back to a friendly discussion...

-grande man

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everybody, and the mods.

I just wanted to let you know, that this guy just PM'd me, and a quite lenghty text, and personally attacked me, and basically said my layout was a "turd".

Can we ban him for that?

Hey everybody, and the mods.

I just wanted to let you know, that this guy just PM'd me, and a quite lenghty text, and personally attacked me, and basically said my layout was a "turd".

Can we ban him for that?

What kind of turd? Not those gross dried up white ones that you see around goose ponds... yuck!

Yeesh, he can't even listen to mods and keep it to PM's. This guy needs banned.

And no, no personal attacks, just pointing out what you asked for, chief.

They were personal attacks. And I sent the entire message to the mods.

I vote for BANNDED for LIFE!!!

Go away to your little hole....

413b1030.png

LOL.

Don't care what you said, but obviously, based on the quote above, you fail to keep it to PM's. Definite ban needed.

I made a post on another forum a while back about backdrops.

LoudMusic said:
I was outdoors recently doing something (can't recall what it was) in a wide open space looking at the sky and how it met the ground at the horizon and began thinking about layout backdrops. I had what can't possibly be a new revelation but it seemed both obvious and revolutionary to me. Train layouts' backdrops are almost always vertical panels with 'sky' painted on them. But nothing else in the hobby is done this way. In reality the sky is the ceiling that never meets the ground which is the floor. Instead they curve the same direction (down) and the ground eventually hides the sky. Why, then, do we make skies that are perpendicular to, and stick straight out of, our grounds? Well that's part of 'modeling' and creating an 'illusion'. But again, we as modelers try our best to make our models as like the real thing as possible avoiding illusions and recreating reality in miniature.

So, do any of you attempt to recreate the sky closer to the real thing (without cutting giant holes in your house)? I imagine it would be something like the following, with traditional backdrops on the left and the more realistic horizon backdrop on the right.

untitled1mj0.gif

I'd be interested in seeing pictures anyone has of their layout or dioramas done this way. Obviously there would be great difficulties in corners and the general increased space requirements not to mention the greatly increased construction costs. But the end result would surely be greater than the sum of its parts.

My biggest beefs with backgrounds are the inclusion of near-field objects, and when actual scenery items cast shadows onto the background image. Both of these conditions make the background stick out like a sore thumb, and detract from what's on the layout. Motley's backgrounds look exceptionally good, but that's pretty freaking rare, and likely took considerable planning.

Sory Folks but the funtime is over, this thread is going nowhere that I can see except trouble

Y'All have Have a great day
Willis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back