Proposed G Scale layout

Not too much has been happening on the layout/build recently; however, earlier this week I did get (finally) another 10 yards or so of dirt which I am in the process of moving. About half of the "inside area" is done and seeded so when the green stuff emerges I'll post up some shots.

Once the grass does come through and can be walked on (after the first cut in about 2 weeks) I'll be moving the rest of the dirt onto the layout proper and start forming the terrain. Hoping this weather holds up for another 4 or so weeks so I can do that though.

I just stumbled in to this thread. Way to go, Wombat! That is a nice layout. This was a neat thread to flip through this morning. I didn't read the whole 28 pages, but a fair amount of it. I see the thread has been idle for quite some time (over a year). Is there any more progress on this? Any other challenges that have come up?

FF - I believe that Tony decided that he was stretched too far as he had an HO and an N layout as well. He posted that he dismantled this G scale one and sold it off; and was last known to be removing the HO scale and using that space for another N scale layout. His other N layout (out in the shed) was also scheduled for dismantling.
This was a neat set-up though.

Willie

Thanks for the info. That is a shame to hear it was dismantled after flipping through the thread following the progress. Such is life, though. I hope everything works in Tony's best interest and he maintains his interest. This is neat stuff and he does very well with it.

Tony,

Next thing you know, you'll be doing the 'ride on' trains (ha, ha-I know, I've thought about them too).

Carl

Hi Guys,

Been awhile while I have been contemplating my continued involvement in the hobby. Earlier this year I lost a lot or interest and motivation for it for some unknown reason, just woke up one morning and thought ... I can't be bothered.

After almost a year, my enthusiasm has returned and my motivation re emerged, perhaps the onset of winter has something to do with that. Anyway, not wishing to bore anyone, as was said the G Scale has gone and that area is now a nice neat BBQ area. The HO layout has survived at least in terms of the track and scenery less structures - makes a good dumping ground for superfluous stuff at the moment. The shed N Scale is still in tact and STILL running on loose laid track work, no bridges, scenery or anything else. Finally, yep there is a new Indoor N Scale in the making that will fill the void where the HO was once it removed.

I don't really want to get ahead of myself (again) so wont post anything about the new Layout until I am "actually" in the process of physically starting it. All I will say is that it will utilize as much of the shed track and bench work that will be pulled down for the room in the shed. What comes out of the shed will be added to the HO bench work to give me a larger area to work with. Other than that, this layout will have 3 different levels and cover about 150' of track. If it works as it does in SCARM, I think it will be impressive and challenging.

Carl - "ride on trains, really?" Well, maybe next year :)

Tony - Great to see that you are back and have regained interest in your layout-to-be. We were concerned over in the Coffee Shop that you may have had recurring issues "downunder" that you had to deal with. I'm glad that all is well.
Welcome back.

Willie

Should'a checked the earlier posts first, I did comment in the Grades thread before here. Good to see you back waving the flag (still the same one, we haven't gone republic yet). Least it wasn't a 40 year hiatus, like mine. A rude re-awakening, that was.

Tony - Great to see that you are back and have regained interest in your layout-to-be. We were concerned over in the Coffee Shop that you may have had recurring issues "downunder" that you had to deal with. I'm glad that all is well.
Welcome back.

Willie

Willie,

Thanks mate and while that (down-under) situation did drag out and possibly (sub consciously) was apart of my hiatus, it wasn't the reason and all is well.

As mentioned, I did just loose interest, perhaps because I tried to do too many things at once with nothing really getting accomplished, I don't know. Anyway all I know is that it is good to be back in the "right frame of mind" with a new outlook on things within the hobby, mainly - focus on ONE layout, do it slowly, do it right and do it till IT is finished. Okay, a layout is NEVER finished but you get the idea :)

Should'a checked the earlier posts first, I did comment in the Grades thread before here. Good to see you back waving the flag (still the same one, we haven't gone republic yet). Least it wasn't a 40 year hiatus, like mine. A rude re-awakening, that was.

Thanks again mate and there's a chance Oz will become a Republic??? Over my dead body! Oops, maybe I shouldn't have advertised that as an option:(

40 years is a long LONG time, but you know that sometimes it is needed to get the blood flowing again. When push comes to shove mate, I didn't get rid of any of my N Scale stuff so I knew that I was going to return one day, just didn't know when. In fact, I spent much of this afternoon removing the track work from the Shed N Scale for reuse on my up and coming (already into the design stage) N Scale that will go where the old HO was. I'd really forgotten what a pain in the butt reclaiming track that had been ballasted was :)

I have a tendency to get to a certain point with a layout and then get bored with it. I understand that. After the heavy thinking and engineering and construction are done I seem to be all thumbs when it comes to scenery.

I am also a dreamer. I ended up upsizing to HO and a simpler layout. This layout has as much scenery as I have ever done. I am trying to push myself to complete the vision.

I realize I have become lazy when it comes to details. I was building car kits most evenings while I watch TV. Now I think about it, tomorrow night I will get started.

I try to balance operating and building.

Modeling the roaring 20's
President of the Lancaster Central Railroad
President of the Western Maryland Railway

RBMNFan,

Yep, know what you mean. I think we all have our particular "specialty" or "preference" when building a layout, mine is the physical construction of it followed by the scenery. Once I complete the build, bench work and track laying I start on the scenery and while THAT is my passion I sometimes become frustrated and disillusioned at not being able to get something the way I picture it. When that happens, I walk away and/or do something else like build a structure etc.

This is one hobby that can pull you in and then pull you under if you let it. What you are trying to do, obtain a balance between operations and building can alleviate that feeling of being pulled under.

The one major thing I realised when trying to do all that I was trying to do, was wanting it all done NOW rather than pacing myself and the build. Trying to get everything done over night created more problems, more delays and more errors than I can probably count. Unfortunately, I didn't realise that at the time, now I do and my new layout is going to proceed as quickly or as slowly as need be. The old adage in the hobby is a layout is never really finished, so why to rush to get to something that will never happen.

Yannis,

Thank you and am also looking forward to my new project - singular :) No more 2 or three layouts going at once. Just the one, and making that my focus and my project.

I wish I could visualize the scenery. I am a big picture thinker and then my ideas for filling it out are blank. I

Modeling the roaring 20's
President of the Lancaster Central Railroad
President of the Western Maryland Railway

RBMNfan,

I have a similar problem. I can visualize what I want and how I want it, but tend to fall a little flat when it comes to making it happen. Now I try to come up with a more "generalized scene" and put that into motion. I take the opinion that if I keep things "general" I can't be disappointed with the outcome.

Back