power for kato turnouts

hello all Kato N scalers:

I have recently purchased some Kato Unitrack switches (turnouts) and am planning on using dpdt momentary toggles, not the blue box machines Kato make. I will mount on a control panel, but am wondering...if I have a seperate model power transformer (that come in RTR store-bought trainsets), can I use THAT to power my switches ?? And is that using AC or DC power from the pack ?? I'm confused, as Kato makes a ac to dc adapter that is needed. This all seems so complex compared to my old (Atlas, HO) memories of switches & machines.....HELP !!

As far as I know, the switches run on 12 VDC. You can use a output from a DC power pack. I use a 1.5 amp 110 VAC to 12 VDC wall wart to power the switches (10) on my smallish layout. I use DCC and that seemed the easiest way to power them and it works just fine. Everyone has a number of the adapters laying around and this seemed like a good use for one. I have never understood what that Kato converter is for.

If you are are going to build a control panel with dpdt momentary switches, you will run these of the DC output on the side of the Kato power pack, exactly the same way the blue switch boxes work. I use the leads that go into a 9volt battery which connect to the male and female socket on the side of the Kato PP.

Mike Fifer has a how to make these switches on his site http://www.fiferhobby.com/html/how_to_make_kato_turnout_contr.html

no

I am not using, nor do I have a Kato powerpack. I am using a cheap transformer from a RTR set. Where do I attach the wires for the power ?? To ac or dc on it ??

Back